Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Panasonic Digital Cameras
Thread started 30 Jan 2016 (Saturday) 10:26
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Looking for Panasonic Point/Shoot for Industural Photography Technical Reports

Timza
130 posts
Joined Jan 2016
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by Timza. 7 edits done in total.
Jan 30, 2016 10:26 |  #1

I am looking for something to replace my Fujifilm F500EXR. When I got it I noticed it was reviewed well as a "travel camera", so therefore I am interested that dpreview listed the Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 in their travel camera recommendations. I like the normal looking style and black color of that camera. The type of photography I do is industrial and construction photography for technical reports. I do not really have a budget, but I do not want to buy the latest thing new. I am wanting to buy something slightly used on ebay, maybe a camera a few generations back without wifi or bluetooth or gps. I am willing to pay for what I need, but I don't want to pay top dollar for something new when I may eventually loose or break it on a construction site, and when people are selling stuff on ebay every day that is like new but a few generations back.

What I like about my F500EXR that I have to continue having: Lots of optical zoom, 24mm on the low end, good low light, good color, panorama mode, quiet, black. Very easy one button flash and macro controls. (You don't have to arrow to flash mode and then press another button to turn on the mode, you just press the flash button until the mode you want shows up and then wait and the camera sets that mode.)

What I like about my F500EXR that I do not have to have but would like to be able to do in some way: There are three notched places on the rotating knob at the top of the camera that I use for my three go to modes: 1. Auto / usually with forced flash, 2. Advanced/Panorama, 3. Scene/Low Light (no flash). I can take pictures all day by just rotating the main knob into those three positions and then working the flash and macro modes. (Ok, sometimes I have to jump over to Program and adjust the darker / lighter exposure compensation.)

I do not need or want a view finder, and I like having more space on the back for the screen. I do not need lots of mega pixels, the level of camera we would talk about would have more than I would normally need.

Ok. This is the deal. The reason I am looking a Panasonic is that I have read that some of them have burst with continuous focus. Where the camera autofocuses betwteen each burst picture. I want that. Last year I went to a running race to take pictures of a friend of mine during the race and it was a disaster. The national guard was not called in, but the police had to take my camera away from me and calm me down. In burst mode my camera would focus on the first picture and then keep that same focus, so that each of the next pictures were more and more out of focus. I kept yelling "But I Am Shooting In Burst Mode!" The police almost called in the FBI. There should be a law. The White House has not returned my calls.

So. What would be a good range of a few cameras that you would recommend I look at? Maybe a generation or two back. 24mm. Burst with CAF. Big screen on the back. Black. Normal looking. Looks to me like the ZS30, 40, 50, 60 cameras meet my 24mm and zoom needs. Do these have burst with continuous autofocus?

And, what am I missing? What did I not ask that I should have? What do I need that I do not even know exists?

Timza!

sponsored links
Timza
THREAD ­ STARTER
130 posts
Joined Jan 2016
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by Timza.
Jan 30, 2016 18:48 |  #2

The Panasonic DMC-ZS50 Basic Owners Manual is here:

http://panasonic.ca ...t0612-eng/sqt0612-eng.pdf (external link)

The Panasonic DMC-ZS50 Owners Manual for advanced features is here:

http://panasonic.ca ...0P/OI/sqw0195/sqw01​95.pdf (external link)

In the advanced features manual, look at page 103 for Burst Function. Note the statement that reads "To change the burst setting, press the [DISP.] button and select a setting with (down arrow, up arrow)"

So it appears that the ZS cameras have it.

Can you point me to one place that lists the Panasonic point and shoot cameras that tells me which ones have this continuous autofocus during Burst function? I have not found the same detailed information on Panasonic cameras as I did back in the day when I was shopping for another brand.

Hinson
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2007
Germantown, Maryland
Sep 30, 2016 09:28 |  #3

Here you go https://www.dpreview.c​om ...-first-impressions-review (external link)

Artist tools: Lumix FZ1000 (Canon 60D, 28/2.8, 10-22mm, Tamron 28-300mm VC ALL NOW FOR SALE - REASONABLE OFFER)
Blog: www.jerrywhitephotogra​phy.com (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Timza
THREAD ­ STARTER
130 posts
Joined Jan 2016
Oct 22, 2016 12:22 |  #4

I don't think that link answered this question I asked:

Timza wrote in post #17879615 (external link)
Can you point me to one place that lists the Panasonic point and shoot cameras that tells me which ones have this continuous autofocus during Burst function?

Hinson
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2007
Germantown, Maryland
Oct 23, 2016 06:46 |  #5

Timza wrote in post #18163875 (external link)
I don't think that link answered this question I asked:

Sorry, should have quoted. That link was meant for the OP.

Artist tools: Lumix FZ1000 (Canon 60D, 28/2.8, 10-22mm, Tamron 28-300mm VC ALL NOW FOR SALE - REASONABLE OFFER)
Blog: www.jerrywhitephotogra​phy.com (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Timza
THREAD ­ STARTER
130 posts
Joined Jan 2016
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by Timza.
Nov 06, 2016 17:37 |  #6

Hinson. It's just you and me, babe.

So. I have moved on. I have a Canon G15 for my work industrial technical report photography, and a Canon 50D for taking pictures of runners during running races in my community. I was not able to find a point and shoot camera that would be small enough for my day to day industrial photography and take good continuous focus burst pictures of runners.

sponsored links

2,026 views & 0 likes for this thread
Looking for Panasonic Point/Shoot for Industural Photography Technical Reports
FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Panasonic Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.