Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup
Thread started 06 Feb 2016 (Saturday) 16:17
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

CR2 files not recognized from new camera

Houston1852
191 posts
Joined Apr 2012
Feb 06, 2016 16:17 |  #1

Hello, I always shoot raw, and when I upload from my camera, I tend to upload from card to a flash drive, then in lightroom I select from the flash drive which one's I want to edit. Well, it has always worked with my 5d2 to view the cr2 files on the flash drive with my windows photo viewer. I just bought a 7d2, and I am not able to view the cr2 files from it. I updated my lightroom and can view them there, but I would like to be able to just view them on my flash drive before editing like I was always able to do in the past. Can somebody please help me with this?

sponsored links
Capn ­ Jack
Joined Mar 2010
NE USA
Feb 06, 2016 16:22 |  #2

Assuming you use Windows, there aren't any codecs for this file format AFAIK. I can't speak about Apple products.

Houston1852
THREAD ­ STARTER
191 posts
Joined Apr 2012
Feb 06, 2016 16:23 |  #3

I'm curious why I can view cr2 files from my 5d2, but not from my 7d2...

JonKline
190 posts
Joined Sep 2013
Chicago and sometimes Milwaukee
Feb 06, 2016 16:44 |  #4

Have you installed the latest software from the Canon CD ? I think it's Canon who distributes each codec, I can't remember.

The operating system generates thumbnails. It has learned the 5D2's version of CR2 files but not the updated 7D2's version.

Cinematographer Chicago (external link) | Milwaukee DP (external link) | Milwaukee camera, lighting & grip (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Epic Dragon (external link) | Sony FS7 (external link)

Houston1852
THREAD ­ STARTER
191 posts
Joined Apr 2012
Feb 06, 2016 16:45 |  #5

No I have not, thank you I will try that!

nqjudo
Goldmember
2,679 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Canada
Feb 06, 2016 16:51 |  #6

It is Microsoft that distributes the codecs. Windows Photo Viewer requires a codec (program) to read proprietary RAW files. The codec exists for your 5d2 but not as of yet for your 7d2. The files formats are different even if they are both Canon RAW. If you want to continue your with your present workflow you'll have to wait for Microsoft to introduce a codec for the 7d2 RAW files. There are low cost 3rd party offerings that will read both if you want to go that route.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,354 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Feb 07, 2016 18:26 |  #7

FastStone Image Viewer (free) can be used to view 7D II RAW files until the CODEC is made available for Windows. Go to http://www.faststone.o​rg/FSViewerDetail.htm (external link) for the details.

This one, FAstPictureViewer will set you back $10 but supposedly works as well with the 7DII.

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2012
Portland OR USA
Feb 07, 2016 18:28 |  #8

I haven't been able to view 7D2 thumbnails either in the file explorer window in Window 10. Fasstone viewer works though. It is freeware for home users afaik.

Sam
6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,905 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Feb 07, 2016 19:05 |  #9

Houston1852 wrote in post #17888445 (external link)
I'm curious why I can view cr2 files from my 5d2, but not from my 7d2...

All cr2 files are not created equal. If your camera is mewer than your software its likely to happen regardless of platform or software maker.

Colt4570
Joined Sep 2011
Az
Feb 13, 2016 21:05 |  #10

John from PA wrote in post #17889631 (external link)
FastStone Image Viewer (free) can be used to view 7D II RAW files until the CODEC is made available for Windows. Go to http://www.faststone.o​rg/FSViewerDetail.htm (external link) for the details.

This one, FAstPictureViewer will set you back $10 but supposedly works as well with the 7DII.

I downloaded the FastStone program John from PA recommended, and it works great! I'm running Windows 7, and was going nuts not being able to view my 7d II files. In fact I had set the camera to capture a med size jpeg at the same time, just so I could view them without downloading all the files to Lightroom 5.

Flickrexternal link
Gear

cuongduong
194 posts
Joined May 2008
Dallas
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by cuongduong.
Apr 01, 2016 10:35 |  #11

I use FastStone Image Viewer to quickly view my raw files, but you can try to install the latest Microsoft Camera Codec Pack.
https://www.microsoft.​com ...oad/details.aspx?id​=26829 (external link)

It listed 5D MK III as one of the supported cameras, but I don't see 7D MK II on the list.

Submariner
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012
London
Apr 10, 2016 04:46 |  #12

cuongduong wrote in post #17956998 (external link)
I use FastStone Image Viewer to quickly view my raw files, but you can try to install the latest Microsoft Camera Codec Pack.
https://www.microsoft.​com ...oad/details.aspx?id​=26829 (external link)

It listed 5D MK III as one of the supported cameras, but I don't see 7D MK II on the list.

Yep works for my 5DIII but not my 5DS R, this is a real pain. I wrote to Canon, .... Well dont hold your breath. Moronic attitude they need a Product manager or alliance manager with 1/2 a brain.
In summary unless MS do it forget it.
Maybe the 7DII will sell enough to get that done, but I very much doubt we will see one for the 5DS R until Canon fire the current Product Manager and get someone who gets off his arse!

Hell this is like HP releasing a new Laserjet Printer with no drivers for Windows 10!
And the crazy thing is ghey have done the Cr2 viewer for Canon DPP4!
Not a lot more work to do one for Win 10 and approach MS with a ready to go solution.

Forgive the rant but this bugs the hell out of me. My camera cost £3,300 in the UK and I heard Canon emplyees can buy one for £780 - so get real thats probably more than it costs to build in China. So They could at least deliver a little codec that works with MS.

Sure you can buy, even get foc viewers - but I hate adding non-standard stuff, somehow It always seems to cause a problem years down the road, or just an accumulation of these add ones seems to slow up the os.

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

SWIFFY
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Aug 2017
Out in the country in Central Minnesota
Sep 22, 2017 20:53 as a reply to Submariner's post |  #13

Is there any new info on this??

I have a new Canon 7DII and I cant open or view my CR2 files in Windows Gallery or Photoshop. What do people recommend. Thanks!

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,354 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been last edited 23 days ago by John from PA. 2 edits done in total.
Sep 23, 2017 05:21 |  #14

SWIFFY wrote in post #18458299 (external link)
Is there any new info on this??

I have a new Canon 7DII and I cant open or view my CR2 files in Windows Gallery or Photoshop. What do people recommend. Thanks!

At least for the Photoshop end of things, you may need to update the Camera Raw from Adobe. You can get the latest (version 12+) at https://helpx.adobe.co​m ...aw-plug-in-installer.html (external link). Supposedly anything after Adobe Camera RAW version 8.7 is 7DII compatible.

There is some discussion about the issue at https://forums.adobe.c​om/thread/1624724 (external link) or you can view Canon's forum on the matter at http://community.usa.c​anon.com ...-raw-download/td-p/148640 (external link).

davesrose
Goldmember
2,772 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Post has been last edited 23 days ago by davesrose. 2 edits done in total.
Sep 23, 2017 14:21 as a reply to SWIFFY's post |  #15

When it comes to viewing images in the file manager, it depends on your version of Windows. Windows 10 has an up to date "Camera Codec" pack, and will show 7D2 RAW thumbnails (and will show the embedded jpeg in gallery viewer). If you install the full utilities from Canon's 7D2 site, it may also include the appropriate Windows codec.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

sponsored links

3,274 views & 0 likes for this thread
CR2 files not recognized from new camera
FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.