Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions
Thread started 07 Feb 2016 (Sunday) 09:24
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Digital Camera Speed Challenge #404 -- Little Things

lavanut
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2007
Duluth, GA
Feb 07, 2016 09:24 |  #1

Digital Camera Speed Challenge #404

Little Things

For this challenge, show me one of your best macro-type shots of something small. Whether you use a true macro lens, reversed lens, or the macro setting on the point & shoot, show me something from a macro perspective. The image can be part of an object, or it can be of an entire object. You decide what you want to show. I'll be looking for creativity, composition, detail, and lighting, so show us some amazing little things!

This challenge begins when posted, and will end at 11:00 A.M. Eastern time Sunday, February 14, 2016. Winner of this challenge will be announced shortly thereafter.

Standard Rules apply:
Photo Submissions:

1. Camera: Any Digital Camera, but NO Cell Phones.
2. Time: Any on-topic photo taken at any time is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.
3. Size: Please visit Image Posting Rules.
4. Post Processing: Do whatever you like and the host will decide if it works.
5. Posting: ONE PHOTO per photographer in each challenge.
Camera model & lens used. Post brief EXIF data including ISO, shutter speed and aperture used.
6. Commenting: No commenting during challenge. When the posting is closed and a winner has been declared, comments can be made in this thread.
Keep it clean, and both Family and Work safe.
Have questions, PM me.
9. Have FUN!

One challenge every week, on the following schedule:

* New Topic - After winner is declared.
* Posting Starts - Right after topic is announced.
* Posting Ends - 11 A.M. Eastern Time Sunday, February 14, 2016.
* Winner from this competition decides the theme of the next one (and judges it for a winner) after this competition is closed.

Previous Winners 01
Previous Winners 02
Previous Winners 03

I may be fascinated with volcanoes, but the name's Lisa.
My new website (external link) | ThePhotoHopper on Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Macrohopper on Instagram (nothing but macros) (external link) |
My Weather Station (external link)

sponsored links
LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
Joined Dec 2008
Hangin' with the Muffins at the Moose Mosque
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by LV Moose. 2 edits done in total.
Feb 07, 2016 09:55 |  #2

Dragonfly. Natural light. 5DIII + EF 100 f/2.8L IS. Converted to b&w in LR
ISO 640, f/14, .5 sec.

If you've ever built balsa & tissue airplanes, you can appreciate the structure of the leading edge of this critter's wings. :)

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/403/18935410792_99e82400a5_o.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/uRfV​VS] (external link)DW0A4112_1024X-2.jpg (external link) by Moose (external link), on Flickr

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)

lavanut
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2007
Duluth, GA
Feb 07, 2016 11:35 |  #3

It was brought to my attention that the title of the thread needs to be updated. Since it's been replied to, I can't change it. I've asked a mod for help. Sorry about that. We'll get it fixed!

My new website (external link) | ThePhotoHopper on Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Macrohopper on Instagram (nothing but macros) (external link) |

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
Joined Oct 2008
Buffalo, NY
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by KenjiS.
Feb 13, 2016 03:45 |  #4

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1484/24361559234_9180cf133a_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/D7Km​Pm] (external link)Macro White (external link) by Trevor H (external link), on Flickr

Panasonic GX8
Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm f/2.8
1/40 - f/4 - ISO3200

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

teekay
Goldmember
2,556 posts
Joined Apr 2001
British Columbia, Canada
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by teekay.
Feb 13, 2016 10:56 |  #5

Just a Toothbrush

IMAGE: http://community.netidea.com/teekay/temp/NoImage.jpg
60D 1/4sec f/8 ISO100 Tamron 17-50

lavanut
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2007
Duluth, GA
Feb 14, 2016 10:14 |  #6

Contest is closed. Thanks for the entries this week. I hoped we might have more, but I appreciate the folks who participated! Here are a few thoughts & comments on the entries.

Moose & the dragonfly - Great detail & lighting on this one. Overall very well done. To paraphrase some of Jason's comments," for a little nitpicking", there are a few distracting elements in the shot that some cloning would probably remove fairly easily. The little curved whilte line to the left of the eyes and the lint on the wing stand out to me. I know I often struggle with how much to retouch and what to leave as it was shot, but lately, I've leaned to removing distracting elements from the photo if possible since you don't want things taking the eye off the primary subject of the photo.

Trevor and his flower- In general, I like the subject and the colors in this shot. The colors balance and complement each other nicely and the focus on the subject is spot on. Personally, I would have liked to see it a little more off-centered to the lower left leaving some of the purple in the upper left if possible. Even though ths subject is centered, it seems out of balanace with more on the right for the eye to see than the void on the left. Does that make sense?

Teekay and the toothbrush - Ah, the good ol' toothbrush shot. It's still fun taking those shots (though you better have a clean brush to do it with). I like the sharp focus on the right side of the shot, but I think I would have liked to see the sharp focus on all the bristles on whole the top row if possible. I kind of like the top/backlighting on the brush that brings out the transluscence. I also like the lighting on the tips of the bottom bristles. However, I guess my main issue is that I'm not sure what I'm supposed to focus on in the image. I'd like to focus on that top row, but other parts draw my attention away based on what I said above. I know getting lighting just right on those kinds of shots is challenging.

I've giving the nod this week to Moose and his dragonfly with Trevor as the runner-up. Teekay, now you've made me want to go try another toothbrush shot! Thanks again everyone!

teekay
Goldmember
2,556 posts
Joined Apr 2001
British Columbia, Canada
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by teekay.
Feb 14, 2016 11:11 |  #7

Congratulations, Moose! I didn't find it surprising that there were few entries after that remarkable shot - who could beat it? And yes, I have built balsa aircraft and also flown real ones, so I do appreciate the structure of that leading edge you show so clearly, but it actually looks like an aerofoil section that is facing backwards. Very odd.

Lavanut, my toothbrush shot didn't really deserve much more of a comment than "crappy shot" so thanks! I rarely do macro and haven't got a really good lens for it, so I was just experimenting to see which of my lens/camera combinations would work best on the toothbrush. Then I got lazy and posted anyway, knowing that it was junk.:-(

BTW, you said "Ah, the good ol' toothbrush shot. It's still fun taking those shots". Do you mean to say that there are (or were) a whole lot of other people taking shots of toothbrushes? Some sort of cult or fetish???:rolleyes:

LV ­ Moose
Joined Dec 2008
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by LV Moose.
Feb 14, 2016 12:04 |  #8

lavanut wrote in post #17897801 (external link)
Moose & the dragonfly - ... there are a few distracting elements in the shot that some cloning would probably remove fairly easily. The little curved white line to the left of the eyes and the lint on the wing stand out to me. I know I often struggle with how much to retouch and what to leave as it was shot, but lately, I've leaned to removing distracting elements from the photo if possible since you don't want things taking the eye off the primary subject of the photo.

I've giving the nod this week to Moose and his dragonfly.

Thanks Lisa. Totally agree on fixing the distractions; I was just lazy. I think I read somewhere that I won a new car. When may I expect delivery? I'm so excited! :)

teekay wrote in post #17897879 (external link)
Congratulations, Moose! I didn't find it surprising that there were few entries after that remarkable shot - who could beat it? And yes, I have built balsa aircraft and also flown real ones, so I do appreciate the structure of that leading edge you show so clearly, but it actually looks like an aerofoil section that is facing backwards. Very odd.

Gracias Teekay

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)

OldCrow
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2013
NC Foothills
Feb 14, 2016 12:43 |  #9

Congratulations LV Moose. Great shot worthy of the win.

Very nice phots Trevor and teekay.

Don
---------------
Canon SX50, Pentax K30, Fuji S2950

just ­ whistle
Joined Jan 2015
Feb 14, 2016 12:53 as a reply to teekay's post |  #10

One man's "crappy shot" is another (wo)man's treasure. I like it! lol:-P

Lesley
Canon SX50, G7X, SX260

lavanut
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2007
Duluth, GA
Feb 14, 2016 15:48 |  #11

teekay wrote in post #17897879 (external link)
BTW, you said "Ah, the good ol' toothbrush shot. It's still fun taking those shots". Do you mean to say that there are (or were) a whole lot of other people taking shots of toothbrushes? Some sort of cult or fetish???:rolleyes:

I think a lot of folks take macros of toothbrushes as part of the foray into macro. I know I did, and I've seen lots of others. No fetish from me, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone out there didn't have one. :-o

LV Moose wrote in post #17897926 (external link)
Thanks Lisa. Totally agree on fixing the distractions; I was just lazy. I think I read somewhere that I won a new car. When may I expect delivery? I'm so excited! :)
Gracias Teekay

New car?? You been eating those spiked Valentine candies today? I have a little matchbox car I could send if you really wanted one. :-)

LV ­ Moose
Joined Dec 2008
Feb 14, 2016 16:26 |  #12

lavanut wrote in post #17898230 (external link)
New car?? You been eating those spiked Valentine candies today? I have a little matchbox car I could send if you really wanted one. :-)

Only if it's vintage 50's or early 60's. I used to love Matchbox cars when I was a kid. The new one's don't do anything for me.

Moose

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
Joined Oct 2008
Buffalo, NY
Feb 14, 2016 21:18 |  #13

Sweet! :D congrats everyone

Sadly i had a better image of that stupid flower but i didnt get to it until the contest closed.. i figured out a nice lighting rig for the GX8

lavanut
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2007
Duluth, GA
Feb 14, 2016 21:27 as a reply to KenjiS's post |  #14

Go ahead an post it if you want. The contest is over but we can still share, right??

BTW, Moose, my little car isn't a vintage one. Sorry. It's a silly little toy I use for shoots now & then. :-)

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
Joined Oct 2008
Buffalo, NY
Feb 16, 2016 14:30 |  #15

Of course, I think id have posted this one if i had actually processed it in time.. I got held up/distracted

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1633/24776251040_08cd6de627_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/DKoL​f5] (external link)Micro 2 (external link) by Trevor H (external link), on Flickr

Panasonic GX8 + Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm f/2.8, Milwaukee M18 LED Flashlight for lighting

f/5.6, 1/400, ISO800

sponsored links

3,254 views & 8 likes for this thread
Digital Camera Speed Challenge #404 -- Little Things
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.