Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Leica Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Leica Lenses
Thread started 22 Feb 2016 (Monday) 20:02
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Adjusting the infinity stop

calypsob
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2012
Roanoke Virginia
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by calypsob.
Feb 22, 2016 20:02 |  #1

I am not sure if I understand this correctly so please feel free to share your knowledge on the subject. As I understand the older manual lenses have an infinity stop which allows you to move past and in front of the infinity marking on the lens so that the user may adjust where the lens stops when it is thrown to infinity during a shoot. Am I correctly understanding this?

I own a few Leica lenses which do not focus perfectly to infinity. I only have one which is important to me to get perfectly dialed in and that is the 135mm elmarit. Now to be specific this is a leitz wetzlar Leica, before it was just Leica. Can anyone possibly link to a tutorial or explain how I can adjust the infinity stop with this lens? Currently I fall just short of hitting infinity and will probably need to gain an extra 1-5mm of focus to exactly hit infinity. thanks

Wes
-----------
flickr (external link)
Gear: Many gears Yes.

sponsored links
Echo63
Goldmember
2,855 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Perth - Western Australia - Earth
Feb 26, 2016 06:23 |  #2

If you wind the lens to infinity, is it sharp ?

Do any of your fast lenses front or backfocus ?

I noticed my rangefinder wasnt properly coinciding at infinity, and that my new 90 M rokkor was backfocusing about 3cm at normal portrait distances.

Turns out the rangefinder in my M was out - somewhere along the line i had knocked it out of calibration, and just hadnt noticed (shooting my kids and landscapes, one is at infinity and stopped down, the other is moving to much to focus on accurately anyway)

The infinity calibration process (assuming your lens is actually sharp at the infinity stop, and its your RF that is out) is a simple but time consuming task, and there is instructions over at the leica user forum (i will have a hunt for a link when i have a bit of time)
Or you could just pay your local leica repair person to do it for you (assuming you have a local leica repairer

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​comexternal link
Gear listhttp://photography-on-the.net ...p?p=2463426&postcou​nt=385

calypsob
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2012
Roanoke Virginia
Feb 28, 2016 00:29 as a reply to Echo63's post |  #3

Thanks, its not a range finder 135mm. It is a normal r mount. It gets close to infinity wh i focus on a star but not all the way. I would like to focus amtad past infinity if possible. I would rather not send it to a leica expert. If you find a link please share it. That would be a big help.

Wes
-----------
flickr (external link)
Gear: Many gears Yes.

Echo63
Goldmember
2,855 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Feb 28, 2016 08:59 |  #4

Ah.

I dont know much about the R system.

I will keep an eye out for adjustment instructions

BenLeaman
132 posts
Joined Sep 2013
Philly suburbs
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by BenLeaman.
Aug 06, 2016 12:40 |  #5

calypsob wrote in post #17915949 (external link)
Thanks, its not a range finder 135mm. It is a normal r mount. It gets close to infinity wh i focus on a star but not all the way. I would like to focus amtad past infinity if possible. I would rather not send it to a leica expert. If you find a link please share it. That would be a big help.

I thiiiiink this is the link that's being discussed...

http://www.l-camera-forum.com ...-coincidence-at-infinity/ (external link)

5DIII | 1DsIII | 60D | 16-35L 4.0 IS | 50L 1.2 | 70-200L 2.8 IS ii | 580 EX ii |
Marketplace Feedback

Echo63
Goldmember
2,855 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Aug 06, 2016 21:07 |  #6

BenLeaman wrote in post #18088168 (external link)
I thiiiiink this is the link that's being discussed...

http://www.l-camera-forum.com ...-coincidence-at-infinity/ (external link)

Thats what i was looking for, but not relevant to the lens being discussed (that link is about adjusting the rangefinder, not the SLR lens the OP has)

BenLeaman
132 posts
Joined Sep 2013
Philly suburbs
Aug 09, 2016 21:38 |  #7

Echo63 wrote in post #18088528 (external link)
Thats what i was looking for, but not relevant to the lens being discussed (that link is about adjusting the rangefinder, not the SLR lens the OP has)

Oh darn. Well at least I was able to dig up the link you were talking about (I was reading it the other day and it was still in my browser history)
Cheers

5DIII | 1DsIII | 60D | 16-35L 4.0 IS | 50L 1.2 | 70-200L 2.8 IS ii | 580 EX ii |
Marketplace Feedback

sponsored links

2,445 views & 1 like for this thread
Adjusting the infinity stop
FORUMS Leica Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Leica Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.