Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Performing Arts Talk
Thread started 26 Feb 2016 (Friday) 08:27
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Newbie at shooting ballroom dance competition - need advise on gear and camera

alelena2005
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Feb 2016
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by alelena2005.
Feb 26, 2016 08:27 |  #1

Hi there, Im a newbie at shooting ballroom competitions...(and I'm not a pro photographer) so I would be curious to learn what gear and what camera settings other photographers use when shooting dance? Greatly appreciate all advises, links, camera settings along with images. Thnx PS.Forgot to mention - my daughter is at the ballroom dance school and will be performing soon at her third competition I would love to have a great shots w/o motion blur or grain.

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,910 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Feb 26, 2016 09:26 |  #2

What is your photography experience? The equipment to shoot ballroom effectively is expensive and there is considerable skill involved.

alelena2005
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Feb 2016
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by alelena2005.
Feb 26, 2016 10:00 as a reply to gonzogolf's post |  #3

I've been shooting for about few years now, mostly kids, families and bday parties.
My equipment - Nikon D5000, Sigma 17-50 2.8, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, Nikkor 85mm 1.8, and Nikkor 18-200 3.5. I have SB-700 speed light and 1 AlienBee400 with a tripod. This is my latest shot at the dance rehearsal - it is grainy so I had to fix it it LR which helped a bit but its not as sharp as I want it to be. My settings were def off :(

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Mar 07, 2016 09:00 |  #4

The issue with this one is relatively complex - you're combining the exposure from the ambient with the exposure from the flash, which simply doesn't work for this style of shot.

The movement through the 1/60 shutter duration gives a fair amount of motion blur, then the exposure from the (instantaneous) flash freezes the movement. That's why you get that "ghost" effect, the smeary halos around the subjects. That's the exposure from the ambient.

To correct this:
The easy solution is to increase the shutter speed considerably. To sync to the AB, you'll probably max out at about 1/200.
As long as you don't exceed the max sync speed (1/200), the flash doesn't care how long the shutter is open; its contribution to the exposure will be the same.

Increasing the shutter speed will accomplish two things: Less exposure from the ambient light, and less motion blur. Changing nothing else, making this one change will greatly reduce the amount of smearing/ghosting that you get from the subjects.

However, if you're relying solely on the flash(es), you'll need to consider illumination for the rest of the room. Are your flashes arranged in such a way that the subjects AND the room are illuminated the way you like?

If you're relying solely on the flashes, you can turn up the flash power and decrease your ISO. This will reduce some noise, but you'll have a longer recycle time and use up your batteries faster.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Mar 08, 2016 02:44 |  #5

Practice shooting at home. I'd suggest ramping up your ISO to 3200 but use fill flash. This will reduce flash power output and faster recycle times. Use hybrid batteries like sanyo eneloops or even black Amazon basic 2400 mah AA batteries in your speedlight. Shoot your sigma zoom at f/2.8 or even f/4 if you want to focus on your daughter more than the room's environment.

If you room is well it and you had a wide fast prime lens you could try to shoot in aperture priority with ISO 3200 or higher and use fill flash (iTTL). That would increase your shutter speed to prevent motion blur.

You should be able to clean up the noise in post processing with good results.

Keep things simple and pay more attention to documentation. You can always uplift shadows in lightroom if the room is dark.

Your max flash sync is 1/200 so set your shutter speed to that...... The flash will stop action so you should be able to stop action and prevent motion blur.

Is the room well lit?? Camera settings is very dependent on the environment. Many factors are involved.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 80D | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | EF-S 10-22 | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 55-200 | EF-X500

Gaarryy
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
The Colony-- texas
Apr 12, 2016 11:29 |  #6

Just seeing this thread now. Wondering if you shot her comp yet and how it went. If you haven't, the one edge you have is that you have most likely seen her routine a few times. This gives you an advantage of know when the pauses is going to happen and which direction she will be facing so you can get a better angle in advance.

Good Luck.

---------------Camera, Lens, Flash stuff.. but still wanting more

trythis
Joined Jul 2010
May 02, 2016 19:57 |  #7

I imagine flash will not be permitted during the competition. The flash can blind the dancers as they are spotting, and really put them off on their turns. It can be dangerous, and distract them, which can mean the difference between winning and losing! I shoot a lot of dance. My girls are ballerinas, so in-class observations, on stage in productions, on stage in competitions, and on stage in high school productions.

I try to keep my shutter around 320, 250 the slowest. I shoot wide open with a 2.8 lens, I have a 50mm 1.8 but I don't get close enough to use that lens. The lighting changes on me so much, I have recently started to shoot in auto ISO, and in TV mode, so that the shutter doesn't change, but the aperture will adjust if the spotlights give me too much light. I also do spot metering, so that the back grounds, and the rest of the stage don't influence the meter.

Canon 60D|Canon Rebel EOS T1i|50mm f/1.8|28-70mm f/2.8|18-55 f/3.5-5.6|70-200mm IS f/2.8 |600EX Speedlite
http://jennifersilas.s​mugmug.com/ (external link)

sponsored links

6,058 views & 0 likes for this thread
Newbie at shooting ballroom dance competition - need advise on gear and camera
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Performing Arts Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.