Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings Talk
Thread started 27 Feb 2016 (Saturday) 11:27
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

How do you "deliver" your photos to the client?

jnecr
Joined Sep 2015
Raleigh, NC
Feb 27, 2016 11:27 |  #1

I'm curious how everybody does this. Currently I'm using Google Drive, which has a great way to visualize all the photos and for those that are savvy it's easy to download all the photos or just the photos you want. The problem I'm running into is that most of the realtors I encounter are not tech savvy. In fact I would classify them in the tech deficient category. I have a lot of problems with them trying to download the full resolution photos because they right click and do a "Save as" which always results in a much lower resolution photo because of the way Google presents the photos to the user. I use Gmail for my email, so emailing the pictures actually results in the same thing as putting them on Google Drive...

I'm not concerned with privacy or protection, I allow them to do whatever they want with the photos, they are their's as far as I'm concerned. They can share the link if they want and allow anybody to download. As long as they aren't easily searched by just any yokel on the internet then I'm fine. It'd also be nice if they can download the entire album in one go rather than having to download photos one-by-one.

How does everybody else do this? Any perfect solutions?

-John

sponsored links
Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Feb 27, 2016 12:04 |  #2

They can download a zip file off my own server, but I usually give them the images in a branded USB flash drive: it's an extra customer service detail, and it gives them the sense of 'ownership' after the purchase that we all like so much.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

bpalermini
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2011
Ashland, Oregon
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by bpalermini.
Feb 27, 2016 13:02 |  #3

My clients are mostly regulars who want my photos as quickly as possible so I use DropBox for delivery. Some of them use the download button which gives them a zip file of all of the photos I've uploaded, others have loaded the DropBox application and they get the photos delivered directly to their computer seconds after I upload them. DropBox has worked well for me.

If they are not regulars I send them a link to the DropBox folder with a note explaining how to download the photos. That has also worked well except in one case where it took a couple of tries to instruct on the download process.

Bob Palermini
1DX, 14 Rokinon, 16-35L, 24-70L II, 100L, 70-200 IS 2.8L, 300 IS 2.8L, 400mm 2.8 IS II, 1.4xIII, 2xIII, 580EXII, YN560IV, RRS TVC23 + BH55, LRCC, Fuji X-E2, Fuji X30
My Web Site (external link) | My Sports Portfolio (external link)

jnecr
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2015
Raleigh, NC
Feb 29, 2016 11:10 as a reply to bpalermini's post |  #4

I had a friend recommend DropBox to me as well. I may give that a try. For now I've configured Owncloud on a host that I've had for an existing website. It was super simple to configure and I think it will suit my needs pretty well. Downloading files doesn't require a login (like Google Drive does) but is otherwise very similar. If client are still having a hard time then maybe I'll look into Dropbox.

-John

JPJ2007
120 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Tennessee
Apr 22, 2016 20:02 |  #5

So far just emailing the photos in gmail has been preferred. I mentioned dropbox and got a dumb look.... :/
I'm considering the USB drive. We'll see. Depends how cheap I can fetch 1GB drives for since 30 photos isn't real large.

I'd love to send them in USB Business cards. (Reusable) but they are like $5 each. Could just build that into my pricing I guess. So they get a little USB flash drive business card each time.

I'll be tuning into this to hear from others. I also did a Virtual tour on tourbuzz, But she just downloaded the photos and made her own tour on remax. Not sure why she wanted me to create one.. and at $15...

Canon t3i, Sigma 10-20.

HelplessSEAL
Joined Jun 2012
May 02, 2016 10:41 |  #6

I use Dropbox most of the time, but for folks not used to the service, I upload onto my ftp server (yeah, I still have one, haha) and send them a link to a zipped up file with all of the photos. Some of my eldest clients request DVD-R discs, for which I'd have to dust off a spindle of DVDs and pray that my dvd drive can still write.

I'd love to send them in USB Business cards. (Reusable) but they are like $5 each. Could just build that into my pricing I guess. So they get a little USB flash drive business card each time.

That sounds like a good idea =) I'm gonna have to look into those.

Epic battle in my mind of whether to focus more on portraiture or architecture. #FirstWorldProblems :roll:

trevorpdx
135 posts
Joined Oct 2005
May 03, 2016 10:21 as a reply to HelplessSEAL's post |  #7

I'm in the boat with all the other DropBox users. It seems to work rather well, but again, for the realtors that literally don't know how to save a file to their computer, what else can you do..? Those realtors are being phased out of the business pretty quickly as technology is getting more involved.

Eiro
Goldmember
1,319 posts
Joined Dec 2009
U.S.
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by Eiro. 2 edits done in total.
May 10, 2016 19:33 |  #8

FTP the zip file to my site. Give them a link and let them download it. Now if they want a gallery then no problem since I'm proficient with code. Just set up a PhP based gallery that's pulling images from a SQL database. Badabing few mins later it's up and running. They're happy because they can just link their friends and family super fast and I'm happy because as they spread the link all over their little social media, it comes back to the gallery I've set up for them with my contact info. And more business from those looking. $$$$$$

Get out and shoot

Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009
San Diego
May 20, 2016 16:10 |  #9

Dropbox :-)

Bryan
Gear Listexternal link
San Diego Wedding Photography - Red Tie Photographyexternal link
Red Tie Photography Blogexternal link

flowrider
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2009
May 20, 2016 17:01 |  #10

jnecr wrote in post #17917713 (external link)
I had a friend recommend DropBox to me as well. I may give that a try. For now I've configured Owncloud on a host that I've had for an existing website. It was super simple to configure and I think it will suit my needs pretty well. Downloading files doesn't require a login (like Google Drive does) but is otherwise very similar. If client are still having a hard time then maybe I'll look into Dropbox.

I've been trying to configure OwnCloud on my home NAS forever and can never get it to work right. I have an installation on my web host as well but the space is limited. I recently purchased a WD MyCloud drive and so far it's been pretty solid with 4tb of space.

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

rgs
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2007
Oklahoma City
Aug 15, 2016 14:00 |  #11

I deliver via TourBuzz (external link). All my houses get a virtual tour from them and a "Client Panel" from which they can edit the tour and download image files. There is no additional charge for the tour and no subscription for either the client or me - only a $15 one time charge. Setting up the tour is easy and fast after you have set up your preferences.

I follow up with a CD, mailed or hand delivered depending on which is easier, with the image files. Since they can download whatever they want from TourBuzz, I consider the CD to be just an archive/file copy.

Canon 7d MkII, Canon 50D, Pentax 67, Canon 30D, Baker Custom 4x5, Canon EF 24-104mm f4, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

The Singular Image (external link)Richard Smith Photography (external link)
Richard Smith Real Estate Photography (external link)500PX (external link)
Fine Art America (external link)

Jean ­ La ­ Fayette
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Aug 2016
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by Jean La Fayette.
Aug 15, 2016 14:25 |  #12

Hi. Since a few weeks I joined http://photo-xl.com/index.php (external link)
This is a new platform to present en sell photos.
They focus on fast selling photos in the touristic sector.
The site is still under construction and will be launched end of september.
No costs, no contracts and it's for free :)

rgs
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2007
Oklahoma City
Aug 15, 2016 15:50 |  #13

Jean La Fayette wrote in post #18096322 (external link)
Hi. Since a few weeks I joined www.PHOTO-XL.com (external link)
This is a new platform to present en sell photos.
They focus on fast selling photos in the touristic sector.
The site is still under construction and will be launched end of september.
No costs, no contracts and it's for free :)

Interesting - but, even though I have some Dutch ancestry, I don't read Dutch and the drop down to change the language doesn't work.

Canon 7d MkII, Canon 50D, Pentax 67, Canon 30D, Baker Custom 4x5, Canon EF 24-104mm f4, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

The Singular Image (external link)Richard Smith Photography (external link)
Richard Smith Real Estate Photography (external link)500PX (external link)
Fine Art America (external link)

Jean ­ La ­ Fayette
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Aug 2016
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by Jean La Fayette.
Aug 16, 2016 08:34 as a reply to rgs's post |  #14

Hi.
You right. Click at the red photo-xl logo to refresh the page.
Then the site will bring you to the index area. http://photo-xl.com/index.php (external link)
Succes.
Jean

-Duck-
my head is usually in the way
Joined Apr 2016
Shelton, CT USA
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by -Duck-.
Aug 17, 2016 11:02 |  #15

A while back I used Dropbox myself but it's ugly, unbranded and clumsy at best. I was looking to somehow integrate a distribution from my site (Wordpress at that time) and wasn't satisfied with many of the choices as I was also looking for fulfilment for prints. I checked out a few and finally settled on SmugMug. I'm at the first payment tier (not the pro) and while I can't do multiple price lists (which would be nice and maybe in the future) it does give easy access to customer files within a few clicks. Folders can also be password protected to keep unauthorized access. A nice feature for boudoir clients.

I have to say, their online design process is a bit clumsy but once you get the hang of it making changes becomes easier. You can click on the first link in my signature line below to see how I use their service for portfolio, clients and general event photography.

Hope this helps.

"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Unitas Photoraphy (external link)Meetup (external link)Blog (external link)Facebook (external link)Flickr (external link)500px (external link)

sponsored links

4,466 views & 1 like for this thread
How do you "deliver" your photos to the client?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.