Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 29 Feb 2016 (Monday) 20:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

'Famous' photographer lashes out in comments

this thread is locked
Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,837 posts
Gallery: 137 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 29, 2016 16:45 |  #76

Jake Olson wrote in post #17989726 (external link)
I've been fortunate to be recognized as one of the top 30 most influential photographers and having more than 22 million views on 500px, it's been quite a humbling experience, seeing as my beginnings were very humble too.

Humbling experience? Wow! Based on many of his recent outbursts, it doesn't seem as if the experience has been humbling at all. Rather, it seems that his "success" has puffed him up with pride and arrogance - the exact opposite of humility.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

sponsored links
Rittrato
Goldmember
1,223 posts
Joined May 2010

Apr 29, 2016 18:46 |  #77

That guy is a tool. And I've never heard of him before until now and his work isn't even that great, there's plenty of photographers in this forum alone that trumps his body of work, and I'm being sincere.

I have to give him credit though in terms of marketing.

Road ­ Dog
983 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jul 2014

May 04, 2016 11:06 |  #78

Haven't heard of him until now.

That kinda' says something right there...

Just shut up and smile...
My Current Line-Up

twists ­ n ­ turns
180 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Apr 2016

May 06, 2016 13:19 |  #79

Pekka wrote in post #17921088 (external link)
If I could afford Cayenne Turbo S, I would buy a real car like Aston Martin DB9 or a Maserati GT :)

Viva La PINTO!!!!!!!

Ninarrr
20 posts
Joined Jun 2016

Jun 30, 2016 08:09 |  #80

Absolutely shameful!

HammerCope
790 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Post edited 5 months ago by HammerCope.

Dec 01, 2017 12:46 as a reply to  @ post 17921594 |  #81

Unfortunately people here in his home counties still flock to him. I find his work horrid.

Pete
Canon 40D & 7D 24-70 F2.8 L 70-200 F4 L Norman 400B, AB800,AB1600 White Lighting 3200

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,230 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Dec 01, 2017 15:29 |  #82

I'm curious as to why so many are piling onto this guy. I mean really, who cares? His egregious behavior is like that of countless other buffoons in social networking. Nothing anybody says will change it. Responding only feeds into the cacophony.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

LisaJH
Goldmember
1,880 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 02, 2018 15:16 |  #83

Jake is a great photographer and a wonderful friend. Most people do not 'get' his sense of humor. He's a personality that you either love or hate. I know him quite well and consider him a friend. It's easy and takes 0 courage to pile on someone when you're sitting safely and anonymously behind your keyboard. My 2 cents.

~Mom of 11 and Professional Photographer~
5DIV | 5DIII | 5DII | 40D | 400L | 200L | 70-200L II | 85L | 50 1.0L | 50 1.2L | Sigma 50mm Art Lens | 16-35L II | TS-E 90 | 100 Macro | Random Lensbaby & OCF Gear
Website (external link) | Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link) | 500px (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Flickr (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,212 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Mar 02, 2018 15:28 |  #84

LisaJH wrote in post #18576072 (external link)
Jake is a great photographer and a wonderful friend. Most people do not 'get' his sense of humor. He's a personality that you either love or hate. I know him quite well and consider him a friend. It's easy and takes 0 courage to pile on someone when you're sitting safely and anonymously behind your keyboard. My 2 cents.

He told someone to consider suicide ... anonymously, from behind his keyboard.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,147 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 2 months ago by Wilt. (5 edits in all)

Mar 02, 2018 15:58 |  #85

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #17919348 (external link)
I bet he'd get a good voter turn out in a presidential primary :shock:

LV Moose wrote in post #17919356 (external link)
MODS! MODS! POLITICAL COMMENT! OH, MODS...

It seems that no opinion was expressed one way or the other, it was apparently only an observation on voter behavior in general, and not reflective of party affiliation; it is the same regardless of party. You know voter behavior is the same, regardless of affiliation, as you end up with two final election candidates and you wish 'None of the above' was a choice on the ballot. Which would you like, a Sigma dSLR or a Tokina dSLR?

;-)a

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Thorrulz
Goldmember
3,720 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 02, 2018 17:01 as a reply to  @ LisaJH's post |  #86

With friends like him.....

Flickr (external link)
D800 I Nikon 200 f2 VR 1 I Nikon 200 f2 ED AI-S I Nikon 135 f2 DC I Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 I Nikon 50 f/1.4G I Nikon 85 f/1.8G I Pentacon 645D I SMC FA 645 75 f2.8
My sister, the professional baker and cake decorator once told me that my camera takes great pics. My reply was that I thought her oven baked great cakes.:lol:

mcoren
409 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Mar 2015

Mar 04, 2018 11:56 |  #87

Just came upon this thread...

The way Mr. Olson treated those people online is inexcusable, but in my opinion is symptomatic of many online interactions. People regularly conflate their online persona with reality. They gauge their personal self-worth by the number of "likes" they get online. If somebody disagrees or criticizes what they say online, they view it as an existential threat and feel they must respond accordingly.

I recently watched a video of a talk given by Simon Sinek about millennials in the workplace. In it, he said that when you get a "like" online, you feel good because your brain produces a shot of dopamine. That's the same reaction people get from gambling, alcohol, and tobacco, and it can be just as addictive.

Maybe Mr. Olson has struggled with alcoholism in the past, and perhaps he did "fall off the wagon" briefly. We're only human, and we all experience setbacks in our endeavors. Any alcoholic--Mr. Olson included--deserves our support and encouragement for trying to better himself in the face of what is increasingly recognized as being hard-coded by some peoples' biology, and not simply a weakness of willpower.

But I've also always heard that alcohol is no excuse for bad behavior because it doesn't make you say or do anything you wouldn't say or do otherwise. All it does is reduce your inhibitions. You would still think about saying or doing those things if you were stone sober, and telling a stranger to consider suicide is indicative of deeper issues than alcoholism.

Mike

Canon EOS 7D Mark II, 7D, and 100 (film SLR)
Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM, EF-S 55-250mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
Sigma 100-400mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM | C, 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM (non-C)
A backpack, a bicycle, and a pair of hiking boots

Pinto
Goldmember
3,074 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Mar 04, 2018 12:40 |  #88

mcoren wrote in post #18577361 (external link)
Just came upon this thread...

The way Mr. Olson treated those people online is inexcusable, but in my opinion is symptomatic of many online interactions. People regularly conflate their online persona with reality. They gauge their personal self-worth by the number of "likes" they get online. If somebody disagrees or criticizes what they say online, they view it as an existential threat and feel they must respond accordingly.

I recently watched a video of a talk given by Simon Sinek about millennials in the workplace. In it, he said that when you get a "like" online, you feel good because your brain produces a shot of dopamine. That's the same reaction people get from gambling, alcohol, and tobacco, and it can be just as addictive.

Maybe Mr. Olson has struggled with alcoholism in the past, and perhaps he did "fall off the wagon" briefly. We're only human, and we all experience setbacks in our endeavors. Any alcoholic--Mr. Olson included--deserves our support and encouragement for trying to better himself in the face of what is increasingly recognized as being hard-coded by some peoples' biology, and not simply a weakness of willpower.

But I've also always heard that alcohol is no excuse for bad behavior because it doesn't make you say or do anything you wouldn't say or do otherwise. All it does is reduce your inhibitions. You would still think about saying or doing those things if you were stone sober, and telling a stranger to consider suicide is indicative of deeper issues than alcoholism.

Mike

Well put, and I totally agree.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,837 posts
Gallery: 137 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 04, 2018 16:48 |  #89

Jake is a great photographer and a wonderful friend. Most people do not 'get' his sense of humor. He's a personality that you either love or hate. I know him quite well and consider him a friend.

Lisa, in Jake's comments that I am posting below, he does refer to you quiet positively. . But the way he is bullying others ...... how can anyone, friend or not, defend that?

It isn't just about his "sense of humor" or his "personality" and whether one likes it or not. . In fact, there is nothing humorous at all in his comments, no matter how broad a definition of "humor" one uses.

When someone publicly bullies others in such a hurtful, public, and obscene manner, it gives a glimpse into what can only be depravity within their soul. . I don't understand why anyone would want to be identified with someone who is so mean and cruel to others. . In fact, I would be ashamed to have my name mentioned in the midst of these horrifically cruel attacks.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

If anybody can't figure out what the blurred out words are, feel free to PM me and I will show you the unedited screen shot.

It's easy and takes 0 courage to pile on someone when you're sitting safely and anonymously behind your keyboard. My 2 cents.

By the way, I am not posting this anonymously - my real name is Tom Reichner and I don't hide behind anything.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

LisaJH
Goldmember
1,880 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 05, 2018 16:32 |  #90

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18577578 (external link)
Lisa, in Jake's comments that I am posting below, he does refer to you quiet positively. . But the way he is bullying others ...... how can anyone, friend or not, defend that?

It isn't just about his "sense of humor" or his "personality" and whether one likes it or not. . In fact, there is nothing humorous at all in his comments, no matter how broad a definition of "humor" one uses.

When someone publicly bullies others in such a hurtful, public, and obscene manner, it gives a glimpse into what can only be depravity within their soul. . I don't understand why anyone would want to be identified with someone who is so mean and cruel to others. . In fact, I would be ashamed to have my name mentioned in the midst of these horrifically cruel attacks.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Tom Reichner in
./showthread.php?p=185​77578&i=i157295938
forum: Photography Industry News

If anybody can't figure out what the blurred out words are, feel free to PM me and I will show you the unedited screen shot.

By the way, I am not posting this anonymously - my real name is Tom Reichner and I don't hide behind anything.

I've seen this, many many times, and this sounds exactly like something Jake would say. Those who do not know him would not understand his sense of humor. I'm not even remotely offended - I find it amusing. Thanks for trying though!

~Mom of 11 and Professional Photographer~
5DIV | 5DIII | 5DII | 40D | 400L | 200L | 70-200L II | 85L | 50 1.0L | 50 1.2L | Sigma 50mm Art Lens | 16-35L II | TS-E 90 | 100 Macro | Random Lensbaby & OCF Gear
Website (external link) | Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link) | 500px (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

22,185 views & 146 likes for this thread
'Famous' photographer lashes out in comments
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.