Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support
Thread started 15 Mar 2016 (Tuesday) 15:48
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Arca Swiss system

welshwizard1971
Goldmember
1,235 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Southampton Hampshire UK
Mar 15, 2016 15:48 |  #1

Just converted my tripods to the Arca swiss system, how did it take me so long to hear about this system, why isn't it an industry standard, why don't people talk about it more? I'#d have changed years ago if I'd known! So much more versatile and logical, and I much prefer the solidity and confidence of tightening everything up myself rather than relying on the Manfrotto quick release clamp, always worried it hasn't worked properly. Very happy I've changed over :lol:

5DIII, 40D, 16-35L 35 ART 50 ART 100L macro, 24-70 L Mk2, 135L 200L 70-200L f4 IS
Hype chimping - The act of looking at your screen after every shot, then wildly behaving like it's the best picture in the world, to try and impress other photographers around you.

sponsored links
TCampbell
Joined Apr 2012
Post has been edited 6 months ago by TCampbell.
Mar 15, 2016 16:05 |  #2

I converted years ago and can't figure out why some people are still using other plates.

The frustrating hold-out used to be the camera strap. I switched to a sling-type strap for better comfort and easier use (I use a Black Rapid strap) but sling straps thread into the mounting bolt on the bottom of the camera or tripod mounting collar of a large lens. That meant that to go from strap to tripod I had to unscrew the "quick release" plate (Arca-Swiss mounting rail). That was a bit of an irony since it makes things slower and not "quicker". ...but THEN... I discovered Black Rapid offers a mounting saddle (they call it the ArcaTech and on their website it's not easy to find) which provides the quick release clamp right on the strap. Now I can go from strap to tripod without removing the plate.

Edit: I should make a correction... the clamp used to be sold at Black Rapid but appears it's not their own product. They were selling the Acra Tech "Swift Clamp" (note that they spell it "Acra" and not "Arca". Here's a link to the product: http://www.acratech.ne​t ...ease-clamps/swift-clamps/ (external link)

It lets me flip from camera strap to tripod without having to swap out attachment bolt for a mounting plate. I ordered mounting plates for all my camera bodies and lens collars.

welshwizard1971
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,235 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Southampton Hampshire UK
Mar 15, 2016 16:13 as a reply to TCampbell's post |  #3

I see Peak design do the same thing, but yeah, the system is a no brainer isn't it?? So why isn't it common?? Why isn't it a standard?? Baffling, just glad I looked into it, all because a bloke was raving about his L plate...

5DIII, 40D, 16-35L 35 ART 50 ART 100L macro, 24-70 L Mk2, 135L 200L 70-200L f4 IS
Hype chimping - The act of looking at your screen after every shot, then wildly behaving like it's the best picture in the world, to try and impress other photographers around you.

seres
580 posts
Joined Apr 2013
Mar 15, 2016 17:33 |  #4

TCampbell wrote in post #17936391 (external link)
...but THEN... I discovered Black Rapid offers a mounting saddle (they call it the ArcaTech and on their website it's not easy to find) which provides the quick release clamp right on the strap. Now I can go from strap to tripod without removing the plate.

I agree the Arca system is probably the best way to mount equipmpent, especially with the exact matching plates from Really Right Stuff and others.

As for the Black Rapid strap... I've never heard of the ArcaTech, so I simply removed the BR clip and replaced it with a small RRS clamp with a slot for the BR strap.

—Eric

ThreeHounds
Joined Mar 2014
Delray Beach, Fl USA
Mar 15, 2016 17:45 |  #5

Sirui makes a nice Arca plate with an offset mounting hole that works great with my BR strap. Has a couple of anti rotation tabs so the plate doesn't spin under a heavy load.

5D MkIII | 7D | Bronica ETRS
24-105 f/4 L | 17-40 f/4 L | 70-300 f/4 L | 105 f/3.5 Zenzanon | Tamron SP90 f/2.8 Di Macro VC USM
flickr (external link)

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,707 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
Mar 15, 2016 18:18 |  #6

I have a couple of Sirui QR plates and they are very nice + work well. My only words of caution is regarding lever clamps. My Sirui plates have slightly different dimensions to my other plates. With a lever type clamp this can cause problems, however with screw type clamps (from various manufacturers) mine work just fine.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

windpig
Chopped liver
14,571 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2008
Just South of Ballard
Mar 15, 2016 18:22 |  #7

Most important gear decision I've made was going to this system. RRS rocks.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

battletone
Joined Sep 2009
Mar 16, 2016 00:36 as a reply to seres's post |  #8

Ya the 1" clamp from Kirk and RRS works perfect for the BR straps.

Cameras: 5D Mark IV, EOS 3, Elan 7
Lenses:15mm 2.8 fisheye, 16-35mm 2.8L II, 50mm 1.2L, 85mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8L, 70-200L II IS
Tripod: Gitzo GT2531, Arca-Swiss Z1, RRS PC-LR
Lights: Photogenic PL1250 x2, 1500SL x1, Canon 580ex, YN 568ex II

Snydremark
Myth-informed
17,862 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Issaquah, WA USA
Mar 16, 2016 01:37 |  #9

Primarily because the "budget" tripods that most shops and box stores carry are Manfrottos, which have the RC2 mounts by default. I, too, feel like it's a much better system and wish I'd used it earlier. It just isn't something that most people get into until they are ready to upgrade their 'starter' tripods; but, 'starter' tripods have started to become more available in the last 2-3 years, with MeFoto and the like, that have AS mounts to begin with.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Mar 16, 2016 01:46 |  #10

TCampbell wrote in post #17936391 (external link)
I converted years ago and can't figure out why some people are still using other plates.

Because we need to use geared heads and the Manfrotto 410 is incompatible with ArcaSwiss.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,145 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Mar 16, 2016 09:00 |  #11

Alveric wrote in post #17936942 (external link)
Because we need to use geared heads and the Manfrotto 410 is incompatible with ArcaSwiss.

There is a conversion process available for the 410 after all! http://www.daveparryph​otography.co.uk ...otto-410-gearde-head-arca (external link)

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Nethawked
Joined Oct 2014
Virginia, USA
Mar 16, 2016 10:10 |  #12

Peak Design sells an arca-compatible plate that can be used with their anchor links and straps that work quite well. The plate stays on my camera bodies at all times and I can switch between tripod, sling strap and Capture Pro clip with ease.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004
Bethesda, MD USA
Mar 16, 2016 11:09 |  #13

Wilt wrote in post #17937155 (external link)
There is a conversion process available for the 410 after all! http://www.daveparryph​otography.co.uk ...otto-410-gearde-head-arca (external link)

Or do what I've done - bolt and Loctite an A-S clamp onto an RC-4 plate.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,884 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Sacramento, CA
Mar 16, 2016 11:31 |  #14

OP: lol for those that have been into photography a while it IS an industry standard! Glad you finally got on board! Its definitely a switch youll never regret!

[Gear List | Flickrexternal link | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protectionexternal link /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,707 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
Mar 16, 2016 12:07 as a reply to Jon's post |  #15

Done the same with mine - works great!

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

sponsored links

12,669 views & 24 likes for this thread
Arca Swiss system
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.