Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup
Thread started 18 Mar 2016 (Friday) 09:37
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

In addition to Macrium, maybe another data backup program?

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
Joined Oct 2010
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by Perfectly Frank.
Mar 18, 2016 09:37 |  #1

I bought the home version of Macrium Reflect. With this I created a rescue CD and did a full image of my hard drive,
which I stored to an external HD. I'll use Reflect to do incremental backups.

But to browse or restore my data - even if backed up without compression - I have to use Macrium software.

I've been reading on the net that some people feel there is risk having to use proprietary s.w. to access their data.
Perhaps in the future Macrium won't be in business, and their s.w. may be hard to find.

I'm thinking in addition to Macrium I should do a data only backup as well. Right now I'm looking into
Karen's Replicator, Duplicati and SyncToy. KR gets good reviews but I can't find a clean download available.
Anyone use SyncToy? I'm looking for an easy to use program.

How say you?

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
50,867 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Mar 18, 2016 15:22 |  #2

I suggest you keep only your OS and programs on your C drive, move all your data elsewhere, even if it means partitioning it. Image programs aren't great for backing up data. Even your cache and catalog should be on other disks. My OS disk backup image is around 20GB, so not large.

I recommend some backup programs for windows here (external link).

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
I'm too sexy for my lens
Joined Oct 2010
Mar 18, 2016 23:41 |  #3

tim wrote in post #17939851 (external link)
Image programs aren't great for backing up data.
[/URL].

hmmm...that's interesting, I'm curious as why.
I've read many user reviews for Macrium Reflect and I don't remember complaints about backing up data.

Thanks for the recommendations.

tim
Light Bringer
50,867 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Mar 19, 2016 00:45 |  #4

Well they're fine at backing up data really, but they're not the best option for data. You don't tend to do backups of your OS that often, only every few months, though you can do as often as you like. You're probably better off with a program made to back up data, rather than backing up at the partition level.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
I'm too sexy for my lens
Joined Oct 2010
Mar 19, 2016 01:32 |  #5

Thanks Tim for the good info, I appreciate it.

KeithS
Joined Jul 2009
Arizona
Mar 23, 2016 14:15 |  #6

I have noticed that Sync Toy is not mentioned very often. I have used it for many years. I like that I can go to a backup drive and directly access a file. I recently paid for another program (don't know why-probably just needed a software fix), and found that the software must be used to access the backed up file. An annual renewal is also needed.

tim
Light Bringer
50,867 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Mar 23, 2016 14:51 |  #7

KeithS wrote in post #17945879 (external link)
I have noticed that Sync Toy is not mentioned very often. I have used it for many years. I like that I can go to a backup drive and directly access a file. I recently paid for another program (don't know why-probably just needed a software fix), and found that the software must be used to access the backed up file. An annual renewal is also needed.

Syncronisation is not backup, it's mirroring. Corruption (ransomware, bad RAM) immediately corrupts your mirror. Incremental backups are important.

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
I'm too sexy for my lens
Joined Oct 2010
Mar 24, 2016 13:57 |  #8

tim wrote in post #17945924 (external link)
Syncronisation is not backup, it's mirroring. Corruption (ransomware, bad RAM) immediately corrupts your mirror. Incremental backups are important.

Can't corruption affect incremental backup methods?

tim
Light Bringer
50,867 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Mar 24, 2016 14:35 |  #9

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #17947079 (external link)
Can't corruption affect incremental backup methods?

Yes. That's why you wouldn't tend to do incremental backups for years, you do incremental for whatever period you're comfortable with, then a full backup. Most software lets you define a schedule.

It's also why I use two different backup programs, as I outlined in my article. Basically I'm not comfortable backing up my RAW files into HUGE single files, as I do with my smaller data files. So my smaller data (financials, documents) use a program that creates one file per backup, my image backups actually just copy new or changed files over wholesale and if I need to I can grab individual files off a file system.

I've worked in software and computers for 20 years, so while I have some trust in software I don't really trust the programmers entirely. As well as my differential / incremental backups I also have straight copies done manually to a different disk in a different locations.

sponsored links

1,462 views & 1 like for this thread
In addition to Macrium, maybe another data backup program?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.