Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 10 Apr 2016 (Sunday) 13:59
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Gaming Mouse for Photoshop Setup - Logitech G602

neacail
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2013
Calgary, AB, Canada
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by neacail with reason 'Corrected misinformation'.
Apr 10, 2016 13:59 |  #1

Inspired by one of my programmer friends, who uses a gaming mouse with his most commonly utilized code snippets programmed for insertion with his mouse buttons, I picked up a gaming mouse for Photoshop on my Windows 7 Pro workstation. I don't normally edit on my workstation, as I prefer to use my MacBook. But, my workstation has a huge amount of horsepower and sometimes that comes in handy. I normally use an Apple Magic Trackpad for editing.

The mouse I picked up (Logitech G602) has eleven programmable buttons. It would be awesome if I could set that up to change my brush size.

I'm wondering how other people who are utilizing gaming mice in Photoshop have them set up to improve workflow and productivity. I'd love some tips and suggestions. :)

Shelley
Image Editing Okay

drmaxx
Joined Jul 2010
Apr 10, 2016 14:30 |  #2

I did not optimise anything - but in my case the scroll wheel of all my logitech mice change brush size by default.

Donate if you love POTN

neacail
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2013
Calgary, AB, Canada
Apr 10, 2016 16:29 |  #3

Hmm. I couldn't get the brush size to go to the wheel. I set the wheel to zoom in/out in Photoshop's preferences.

I do now have a G602 profile for Photoshop created. The buttons are mapped as follows:

Right Click: Default
Middle Click: 100% Zoom (Wheel set to zoom in/out in PS preferences)
Left Click: Default
G4: Deselect
G5: Brush Down
G6: Decrease Brush Hardness
G7: Step Backward
G8: Brush Up
G9: Increase Brush Hardness
G10: DPI Up
G11: DPI Down

Those seem to cover my biggest time wasters. I don't use the keyboard shortcuts for Photoshop. I use ArcGIS keyboard shortcuts, and two completely different sets of keyboard shortcuts cannot co-exist in my head.

In case anyone wants the G602 Photoshop profile I created, here is the Dropbox link to the .XML file:
https://www.dropbox.co​m ...602_Photoshop_v1.xm​l?dl=0 (external link)

Shelley
Image Editing Okay

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,177 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Philadelphia, PA USA
Apr 11, 2016 09:59 |  #4

Depending upon your machine/OS the shortcuts vary slightly, but take a look here

https://youtu.be/vG5QO​zODCBs (external link)

for setting up brush shortcuts. A nice summary of how to change your brush size/hardness on the fly.

kirk

Kirk
---

-Douglas-
Beware of DOUG
Joined Jun 2008
------ snarf ------
Apr 11, 2016 11:19 |  #5

In the video, Nicole fails to mention there is another option by checking an option in
the PS 'Preferences' panel.

The video from Lynda.com explains it better and quicker than me:

>myGEAR<
Edit My Images- OK
"Brain Fart" = an essential bodily function.

2,319 views & 2 likes for this thread
Gaming Mouse for Photoshop Setup - Logitech G602
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.