Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions
Thread started 15 Apr 2016 (Friday) 21:02
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Any Chance For A 6D mk2 Release Before August?

kawi_200
Goldmember
1,409 posts
Joined Jul 2011
Everett, WA
Apr 15, 2016 21:02 |  #1

I'm getting married in August and have been really hoping Canon would announce a 6D mk2 and that it would have at least all cross-type AF like even some of the Rebels now have. Anyone think there is any chance of a 6D mk2 announcement and that I could get it before August? Or should I just buy a used 5D3 instead?

I currently have a 5D2 and I don't feel the sideways movement to a 6D is worth it. I will be giving my 5D2 to a friend as payment for shooting the wedding. That will leave me camera-less. On the other hand, I would trade my 400mm DO for a 5Ds if anyone in the PNW is interested in trading ;) I've got a FS/FT thread, reply there and we can talk in the proper section.

5D4 or 6D2..... Waiting to find out which I buy | 8-15L |24-70mm f/4L IS | 24L II | 40mm pancake | 100L IS | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS mk2 | 400mm f/4 DO IS

sponsored links
Mark0159
I say stupid things all the time
12,717 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined Mar 2003
Hamilton, New Zealand
Apr 16, 2016 02:11 |  #2

following this rumor http://www.canonrumors​.com ...talk-updated-roadmap-cr2/ (external link) I am going to say no.

If true a 6Dmk2 will be out next year

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

kawi_200
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,409 posts
Joined Jul 2011
Everett, WA
Apr 18, 2016 18:28 |  #3

AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGGG!!​!!!!!!!! And with the 5D4 coming out just after the wedding maybe I'll just hold on to my 5D2 and offer to buy my friend a lens instead. He will buy my 5D2 from me later anyway. He wants to get in to full frame. Thanks for the Rumor update.

5D4 or 6D2..... Waiting to find out which I buy | 8-15L |24-70mm f/4L IS | 24L II | 40mm pancake | 100L IS | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS mk2 | 400mm f/4 DO IS

Snydremark
Myth-informed
17,863 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Issaquah, WA USA
Apr 18, 2016 18:59 |  #4

Agree with Mark; if it hasn't been announced by now, there's very little chance of it hitting before Sept, and even that likelihood is slim. If you're in a situation where you're going to be cameraless, I would just nab a 5DIII now. Hell, if you're that willing to trade down for a while, I have 40D you could borrow, indefinitely :p

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

kawi_200
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,409 posts
Joined Jul 2011
Everett, WA
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by kawi_200.
Apr 19, 2016 00:18 |  #5

:-D Thanks for the offer on the 40D but I'll probably keep the 5D2 until the 400mm sells then I'll get a 5Ds. Or get a 150-600mm and sit on the cash for the 6D2 to release.

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,089 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Aug 2010
West Point, Georgia
Apr 22, 2016 05:30 |  #6

I think there is an order to how the FF cameras are announced: 1. 1D, 2. 5D, 3. 6D So far we've got the 1DX II announced. Next up is 5D IV. After that, the 6D II.

Likely no 6D this year.

David | Flickr (external link)

Mark0159
12,717 posts
Joined Mar 2003
Hamilton, New Zealand
Apr 22, 2016 21:02 |  #7

that's a shame, I would like to have more AF and if it's true about the 1Dxmk2 about how good the DR is, then I would like that for the 6Dmk2. for when I get to the UK next year

Mark
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Apr 26, 2016 09:31 |  #8

Mark0159 wrote in post #17981466 (external link)
that's a shame, I would like to have more AF and if it's true about the 1Dxmk2 about how good the DR is, then I would like that for the 6Dmk2. for when I get to the UK next year

So, you would like the next 6D to have better AF, and you would like it to have the same DR that the 1Dx2 has. The 1Dx2 is a $6,000 camera.
If they were to upgrade the 6D to the extent that you want, how much do you think it would cost?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by MalVeauX.
Apr 26, 2016 09:40 |  #9

Hrm,

I'm confused, whey go from a 5D2 to a 5Ds and then worry about a 6D2 (budget full frame) at all? I would think the 5Ds is a ton of camera if you want something well rounded. The 6D series will always be a slightly crippled version of the 5D series, and that's not a negative, but if you can afford a 5Ds, why not just get the best 5D there is? I wouldn't worry about the 5D4, until a year after release. Even then, why worry at all unless these are tools for your job, right? I can totally see needing a different camera than the 5D2, the AF on that thing is the same as the original 5D, very antiquated and not robust. But the 5D3, 5Ds, etc, all have blazing AF. The 6D series probably won't have all the features the 5D series keeps.

Granted, the 6D2 will probably be Canon's premier "low light" (read: high ISO) camera, as the 6D sort of always has been. If you want night time and low light and long exposure & high ISO performance, the 6D series sort of has that niche. I'm sure the 6D2 will have very good high ISO performance, as it already does in the 6D, so the 2 will likely go farther of course. But, then again, it will still be a few steps behind the Sony A7S in many ways regarding that... but we can only hope the 6D2 comes close to that kind of ISO.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

kawi_200
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,409 posts
Joined Jul 2011
Everett, WA
Apr 26, 2016 23:19 as a reply to MalVeauX's post |  #10

I am just a hobbyist and only shoot for fun. While the 5D3 is a major step up from the 5D2, the 6D is sort of a cross jump to a similar camera. I am guessing/assuming that Canon has had enough complaints about the single cross-type AF point and the fact that even the Rebel line has all cross points, the 6D2 will also get more cross points. Coming from the 1D series to the 5D2 was tough as far as AF was concerned. I kept my 1D2 around for quite a while before selling it to a friend. I have gotten used to the AF on the 5D2 but I have always been disappointed in it. I have learned to work around it and can decently shoot action with it, but my main subjects are landscapes and wildlife in the parks.

The way I figure it is if the 6D2 isn't what I want I'll get exactly the camera that I do want. But why spend the extra money (probably at least $2000) on a 5Ds when the 6D2 (hopefully) has what I want? And for me to get the 5Ds I will have to sell my 400mm DO, no big deal since I want a 150-600mm anyway. Worse case my 400mm never sells and I either take a 401k loan or take extra cash when I refinance my house. So basically I've got options right now and I am weighing them all out. I learned a long time ago that if I just settle for something (lenses) I will end up selling and buying something else until I get what I originally wanted anyway.

Mark0159
12,717 posts
Joined Mar 2003
Hamilton, New Zealand
Apr 27, 2016 02:16 |  #11

Tom Reichner wrote in post #17985628 (external link)
So, you would like the next 6D to have better AF, and you would like it to have the same DR that the 1Dx2 has. The 1Dx2 is a $6,000 camera.
If they were to upgrade the 6D to the extent that you want, how much do you think it would cost?

Yea well it's quite on the cards that canon would have too. They have increased the DR & AF on the 80D and that price point is far less than the 1Dx2.

If Canon has managed to crack the DR issues that they have been having for a few years then they will be wanting to replace the main stay of cameras with this new technology. The 5D4 is one of them and the 6D is also one.

I am not saying that the 6D is going to have same features, Canon knows that it's going to have compete with the Nikon D610 or the Nikon D750. Both of these cameras have more AF points and better focusing than the 6D. When both of these cameras came out they had to complete with the Nikon D4s and the Nikon D810.

Canon knows that the AF in the 6D isn't up to it. If so then they wouldn't have given the 80D so many AF points. Going forward they are going to have give the next 6D more than what it has at the moment. This means more AF points and more DR. Otherwise the camera wont sell and that doesn't fit with there goal of making money.

there are plenty of ways to make sure that the 6D2 doesn't take any sales away from the flagship. the size of the camera, the FPS, the ISO range, number of card slots, wifi, NF and plenty of other options. AF and DR is only part of the equation.

Mark

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Apr 27, 2016 02:23 |  #12

Mark0159 wrote in post #17986624 (external link)
there are plenty of ways to make sure that the 6D2 doesn't take any sales away from the flagship.

Yes, you are quite correct.

But Canon also has to make sure that the 6D2 doesn't take sales away from the 5D series. In other words, if it is going to be about $1000 to $1500 cheaper than the current 5D series body, then it has to have significantly fewer features or weaker performance than the 5D body that is current at the time of is release. In what ways would you suggest they cripple the 6D2 so that it doesn't take any sales away from the 5D series?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by MalVeauX. 2 edits done in total.
Apr 27, 2016 02:38 |  #13

Hrm,

Again, I have to wonder, why the 6D2 compared to ... say the 5DS series at this point, for cost.

The 6D2 is merely rumored, and those rumors are basically a little more resolution, little more sensitive low light AF, just over a stop better high ISO. Thing is, it can't push the 36MP+ area just yet, at least, not likely, if it wants to truly be able to get the rumored 1~1.5 stop ISO increase, as those pixel sites get smaller and collect less light for the surface area each, and with other sensor designs, the higher ISO performance comes by dropping resolution and increasing pixel size for the surface area (A7S, 1DX, etc).

The 6D2 will be the "entry" full frame for Canon. So they will keep it lagging behind the 5D series (maximum shutter, sync speed limits, FPS, overall number of crosspoints and overall performance of AF, buffer depth & speed, number of card slots, resolution, etc).

Personally I wish the 6D2 would go the direction of pure low light niche, by reducing to 12MP and gaining several stops of ISO performance, pushing lower noise in lower ISO ranges and how it works with long exposure, swivel LCD, internal intervalometer without hacks, improved thermal shielding and moisture barriers (just to build on what they already started), basically be a lot more like the A7S II in terms of ISO & DR, but with Canon's AF system..... but they won't do it.

I guess I would overall think that one going from 5D2 to 6D series, instead of 5DS (by the release of the 6D2 you can probably get a refurb/used 5DS near that cost and have a really great all rounder).

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Mark0159
12,717 posts
Joined Mar 2003
Hamilton, New Zealand
Apr 27, 2016 02:56 |  #14

well,

the 1dxmk2 has got 61 AF points, the 5Dmk3 has the same number of AF points. First we could have the 6Dmk2 have 31 AF points with at least 1/2 cross type. AF focus down -3ev just like the current version.
I would hate to guess at the megapixels. It's possible that the 5D4 could go up to 34 or so, perhaps the 6D could still be around 25mpx or so.

Single processor,
Single card reader,
Smaller buffer,
Cheaper build,
6FPS (the same as the current 5D3 but then upgrade the 5D4 to 8FPS)
Video only Full HD at 60FPS only. (the 5 series has been known for loads of video work and Canon would like to continue this and more than likely give it 4K recording)
Max shutter 1/4000
sync at 1/200

Lets not forget the number of settings within the camera. While it could have a more AF points, they can have less modes for AF.

And those are just the things I can think off. I am sure Canon can do a better job :)

Mark

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,089 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Aug 2010
West Point, Georgia
Apr 27, 2016 05:37 |  #15

Mark0159 wrote in post #17986651 (external link)
well,

the 1dxmk2 has got 61 AF points, the 5Dmk3 has the same number of AF points. First we could have the 6Dmk2 have 31 AF points with at least 1/2 cross type. AF focus down -3ev just like the current version.
I would hate to guess at the megapixels. It's possible that the 5D4 could go up to 34 or so, perhaps the 6D could still be around 25mpx or so.

Single processor,
Single card reader,
Smaller buffer,
Cheaper build,
6FPS (the same as the current 5D3 but then upgrade the 5D4 to 8FPS)
Video only Full HD at 60FPS only. (the 5 series has been known for loads of video work and Canon would like to continue this and more than likely give it 4K recording)
Max shutter 1/4000
sync at 1/200

Lets not forget the number of settings within the camera. While it could have a more AF points, they can have less modes for AF.

And those are just the things I can think off. I am sure Canon can do a better job :)

I think you're on the right track there. And it really will depend on what the 5D IV has as a full featureset.

Personally I have the opposite wish from Mal VeauX. The 6D was marketed as an ideal landscape photography camera and many landscape photographers indeed have made great use of it, and I would like to see the 6D II continue that. So, I'd like to see it be a slow camera with major bump in resolution (leapfrog 5D IV). Make it a 36ish MP sensor. Between lesser build-quality, single slot card, 5DS-level video featureset, etc. there are plenty of ways to differentiate it from the pricier 5D IV.

A higher than 5D IV resolution might sound crazy, and maybe it is, but the 5DS is the ultimate high res camera, so the 5D IV no longer needs a high res sensor. In fact as an ideally suited event-photography camera the 5D IV probably should maintain a fairly modest resolution and have a reasonably fast fps. And consider this: Canon's top of the line APS-C camera (7D II) is only 20 MP, while the lowly Rebel sports a higher resolution 24 MP sensor. So, "entry-level" does not need to mean "lower resolution". And the 5D has typically had more resolution than the 1D, so wouldn't be entirely unprecedented for the lower-priced entry-level 6D II to have a higher resolution than the 5D IV.

Wishful thinking. :)

David | Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

6,232 views & 10 likes for this thread
Any Chance For A 6D mk2 Release Before August?
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.