Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera
Thread started 20 Apr 2016 (Wednesday) 20:57
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

5D mk 3 or 6D for first full frame

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,792 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by TeamSpeed.
May 04, 2016 12:02 |  #61

I only agree that if my camera isn't capable of reducing exposure by one stop and I need it, then the only proper thing is to use ND filters to reduce the light. I would only use ISO 50 in a pinch, and that wasn't available on many bodies.

I won't agree that 1/8000th isn't needed. If camera A offers that and camera B doesn't, it becomes a feature I have to add to the list for consideration of what to buy. You don't need IS for macro shots, or live view, or a tilting LCD, however having it makes the shoot easier and possibly then more enjoyable.

This one stop shutter, in itself, is probably very near the bottom of the list of what you use to consider one camera vs another (like the 6D vs 5D3), but it is indeed a feature that is on the list.

Enough said at this point, I presume?

Some want 1/8000th, others don't need it, much like dual slots, or 61 AF points vs 11, or joystick vs not having one, etc. ;)

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

sponsored links
EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2012
Bowie, MD
May 04, 2016 12:09 |  #62

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17995715 (external link)
I only agree that if my camera isn't capable of reducing exposure by one stop and I need it, then the only proper thing is to use ND filters to reduce the light. I would only use ISO 50 in a pinch, and that wasn't available on many bodies.

I won't agree that 1/8000th isn't needed. If camera A offers that and camera B doesn't, it becomes a feature I have to add to the list for consideration of what to buy. You don't need IS for macro shots, or live view, or a tilting LCD, however having it makes the shoot easier and possibly then more enjoyable.

This one stop shutter, in itself, is probably very near the bottom of the list of what you use to consider one camera vs another (like the 6D vs 5D3), but it is indeed a feature that is on the list.

Some want 1/8000th, others don't need it, much like dual slots, or 61 AF points vs 11, or joystick vs not having one, etc. ;)

All true, my point is that it's far less of a "big deal" than people like to claim it is.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
14,122 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2007
May 04, 2016 12:28 |  #63

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17995715 (external link)

in an absolute pinch, you can also stop down.

it's certainly not the end of the world if you have to stop down for a few reasons already mentioned.

- light is already sucky ( very huge reason why it's not a big deal)

- are you sure you want to shoot at this location this time of day? (back to first reason  :p)

- why are people squinting so badly?

- ok fine I'll just have to slap on an ND or stop down.

- 1/8000 camera users..... darn it, I'll have to slap on an ND or stop down as well!

1/8000 is a bit over emphasized feature when you toss in all those variables.

the counter argument for 61 AF being too complex, is like saying sony's 399 AF points are too complex...... it's a big misconception. You can dumb down the 5Diii's AF to be as simple as a 9 point AF if you wanted, or my favorite, being the 9 zone config. It's even simpler than the 6D's 11 point, and much more precise/less finicky. It's the more pleasurable experience, however the 6D can get the job done more often than not.

the 5D3 certainly provides a more pleasurable shooting experience, but at the end of the day, it's not an earth shattering revelation, that would be the A7rii :twisted:

Sony A7rii/A7riii - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - CV 35/1.7 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4 - Tamron 28-75 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 VC

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2012
Houston, TX
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by mystik610.
May 04, 2016 12:50 |  #64

Charlie wrote in post #17995741 (external link)
in an absolute pinch, you can also stop down.

it's certainly not the end of the world if you have to stop down for a few reasons already mentioned.

- light is already sucky ( very huge reason why it's not a big deal)

- are you sure you want to shoot at this location this time of day? (back to first reason  :p)

- why are people squinting so badly?

- ok fine I'll just have to slap on an ND or stop down.

- 1/8000 camera users..... darn it, I'll have to slap on an ND or stop down as well!

1/8000 is a bit over emphasized feature when you toss in all those variables.

the counter argument for 61 AF being too complex, is like saying sony's 399 AF points are too complex...... it's a big misconception. You can dumb down the 5Diii's AF to be as simple as a 9 point AF if you wanted, or my favorite, being the 9 zone config. It's even simpler than the 6D's 11 point, and much more precise/less finicky. It's the more pleasurable experience, however the 6D can get the job done more often than not.

the 5D3 certainly provides a more pleasurable shooting experience, but at the end of the day, it's not an earth shattering revelation, that would be the A7rii :twisted:

The need for 1/8000s has always seemed a bit silly to me too. That's basically f1.2 with your subject sitting directly in midday sun...sometimes you get caught shooting in those circumstances, but the lighting is so harsh at that time that you likely aren't taking anything spectacular anyway. The harsh shadows you'd get in that type of light will ruin your shot more than the decrease in the degree of blur you're getting in the OOF areas by closing the aperture by 1 stop to get the correct exposure. I don't personally find a 1 stop change in aperture to impact the degree of blur that significantly anyway.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - Sony 50 1.8 - Sony 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2012
Bowie, MD
May 04, 2016 13:08 |  #65

mystik610 wrote in post #17995752 (external link)
The need for 1/8000s has always seemed a bit silly to me too. That's basically f1.2 with your subject sitting directly in midday sun...sometimes you get caught shooting in those circumstances, but the lighting is so harsh at that time that you likely aren't taking anything spectacular anyway. The harsh shadows you'd get in that type of light will ruin your shot more than the decrease in the degree of blur you're getting in the OOF areas by closing the aperture by 1 stop to get the correct exposure. I don't personally find a 1 stop change in aperture to impact the degree of blur that significantly anyway.

This.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

_igi
258 posts
Joined May 2011
Warsaw, Poland
Jun 16, 2016 06:15 |  #66

5D3 is a better camera. 6D is less complicated and makes better pictures. I've made around 85K clicks with 6D and last month i've took like 20K clicks with 5D3. Bloody fast autofocus, very cool feature with rotating af points, good framerate, nice dynamic range. It's a good body to work with, but personally i find 6D to be easier to shoot with, it has better DR, 1 stop better ISO and more reliable center AF point. And SD cards, they cost nothing and you don't need to struggle with card readers and stuff.

1DIV | 6D | TS-E 24/3.5 L | 35/2 IS | 50L | 17-40L | 24-70L 2.8

aladyforty
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2005
Albany: Western Australia
Jul 09, 2016 10:13 |  #67

I love my 5DIII mainly for the focusing system and the cases to choose from which make it easier for what ever you choose to photograph. If you are ever going to venture into photographing anything that moves get the 5DIII. That said I've used a 6D on loan and found it OK for landscapes and portraits and given that I now pick up my 7DII more than my 5DIII because it has even better focusing system and speed if I had my way Id own the 7DII and 6D which Id only use for landscapes and portraits, however the 5DIII was purchased way before the 7DII so I will not be selling it, its my go to for indoor low light, landscapes and people photos, The 7DII is probably way more versatile a camera than them both though

5DIII 7DII Fuji X100 Fuji X10 17-40L 135L 70-200F4ISL Tamron 150-600
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com​/photos/25426422@N00/ (external link)
Birding page (archives cant add to them, lost password) https://www.flickr.com​/photos/59111660@N08/ (external link)

sponsored links

8,480 views & 19 likes for this thread
5D mk 3 or 6D for first full frame
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.