Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 22 Apr 2016 (Friday) 07:56
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Godox roadmap for triggers and XT32 (!?!?!)

agv8or
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2006
Midwest
Jun 21, 2016 23:26 |  #91

elv wrote in post #18046480 (external link)
That's true, though its still a pain if you do actually use 5 to 10 groups (cough "Nixland") and have to turn them all off and back on individually just so that you can test fire one group.

Its not worth arguing the point with Godox at them moment though. I'm working on the X2 design suggestion at the moment, and am strongly suggesting multiple groups can easily be selected then, switched on and off, or power level adjusted together.

So you can test fire one group, or as many as you have select quickly on the one LCD screen just by tapping their group button to select them. The same with global power control, adjust which ever groups you like together.

Also suggesting an ALL button, which will select (or switch on) all groups at once, or non, or the groups you previously had switched on or selected. Just as another option to speed up group selection etc.

I think I remember someone suggesting this many months ago! ;-)a But no one ever listens to me. :cry:

Rand

Gear

sponsored links
elv
Goldmember
1,441 posts
Joined Jul 2006
Jun 22, 2016 01:59 |  #92

agv8or wrote in post #18046499 (external link)
I think I remember someone suggesting this many months ago! ;-)a But no one ever listens to me. :cry:

Problem is I wouldn't know how to implement that with the groups madly scrolling around on the screen the way you like it :-)

I've personally been making a note of what people have been suggesting on the forums etc. That's why I commented here, so other people can possibly make suggestions as well.

As you know Godox only listen to bits and pieces of what anyone suggests. The difference this time is that Adorama want a more refined transmitter, so hopefully this may play out a little differently.

FLASHHAVOC.COMexternal link

agv8or
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2006
Midwest
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by agv8or.
Jun 22, 2016 07:21 |  #93

elv wrote in post #18046590 (external link)
Problem is I wouldn't know how to implement that with the groups madly scrolling around on the screen the way you like it :-)

I've personally been making a note of what people have been suggesting on the forums etc. That's why I commented here, so other people can possibly make suggestions as well.

As you know Godox only listen to bits and pieces of what anyone suggests. The difference this time is that Adorama want a more refined transmitter, so hopefully this may play out a little differently.

The engineer who came up with that scrolling screen idea for the X1, brilliant, just brilliant. Right behind the engineer who designed that Radio Popper PX receiver holder that could be adjusted to fit the 550EX, 430EX or 580EX. I am sure they might be able to give you some pointers on how to implement it. :-P

It would definitely be much easier to select Groups individually, and put them into "sets" to make global FEC and flash power adjustments to those "sets" of Groups, if each Group had it's own dedicated button like the Odin II. Phottix could, should have made "selectable global adjustments" a feature of the Odin II but I have come to not expect much from them where as I expect more from Godox, especially where they are starting with a blank slate and all the suggestions they have received.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Rand

Gear

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Jun 22, 2016 08:49 |  #94

In my experience, the most comprehensive lighting controller is the Cyber Commander. It was a bear for me to learn but once I got through that it was a great tool for setting up and managing a lighting scheme in the studio.

I'm not sure a Godox solution has to go that far, but it would be great to be able to fire each light for metering purposes, then group them together in to multiple groups and then one master group that controls everything.

This controller doesn't have to also be a trigger. When I was using Einsteins, I used a CC to control the lighting setup and had the small trigger on the camera to fire the lights.

Since the Godox lights have TTL capabilities its important to also include the ability to use TTL to meter the lights and then lock the power setting.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

nixland
448 posts
Joined Apr 2009
Jun 22, 2016 11:40 |  #95

Yeah, its me that was asking for individual Group test feature :)
I used to have various light setup in a photoshootphotoshoot session, so a quick group test button is really helpful to speed up the process. Just like the feature on Profoto transmitter.

mmmfotografie
Goldmember
2,035 posts
Joined Jul 2013
Utrecht Netherlands
Jul 03, 2016 02:40 |  #96

I have been playing around with this baby and it seems to be a good idea to check the time adjustment of the pre-sync (HSS) with your camera. On my 1D MKII I need a correction of 11 to get the maximum out the trigger with this specific camera.

How to test...that is not that difficult. You point the flash, I am using a normal mono block studio strobe with a loooong tail, to a white or light coloured wall and set you lens to manual and out of focus. Now you can trough the shutter speeds of the camera and you start at 1/160s and go up in steps. As example you can 160, 200, 250, 320, 500, 1000, 2000, 4000 and 8000. After you take or took the picture(s) you look at them on the back of the camera with the histogram active. If you don't see black bars you are still in the duration of the flash.

Now you can stay at 1/8000s and increase the time adjustment on the XT-32c till you get the black bar at the bottom and now you can take a lower value as time adjustment for that specific camera. When you are dailing up the time adjustment before you should see an improvement of the amount of light captured by the camera.

When using an IGBT type of flash like the AD series of Godox you need an XTR16 receiver attached to the flash and switch of the internal receiver. You have to set your flash to FULL POWER and dail-up your aperture/diafragma so that you have a not a totally over exposed picture. Because full power will generate heat don't play around and do your testing sensible.

On the topic of full power on a Godox AD series I can't repeat myself to often to push for an automatic deactivation of the HSS setting when the flash is on full power. When the powersetting drops beneath 1/1 (full power) the HSS can be activated again if it was activated before. The advantage is that you get almost a full stop of extra flash power and that is about the difference between a AD360 and AD600 both on full power.

mmmfotografie : portfolio (external link) | ModelMayhem profile (external link)

hbomb69
Joined Jan 2007
Lancashire, UK
Jul 03, 2016 03:24 |  #97

Great testing there, good job mmmfotografie:-)

CANON 5D MKIII x 2 / CANON 50D / CANON 550D
http://www.michaelhard​castle.co.ukexternal link
Facebook.com/michaelha​rdcastlephotography

Ulysses01
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2013
Jul 04, 2016 13:13 |  #98

mmmfotografie wrote in post #18056536 (external link)
Now you can stay at 1/8000s and increase the time adjustment on the XT-32c till you get the black bar at the bottom and now you can take a lower value as time adjustment for that specific camera.

This is the reason I haven't yet tried to make this adjustment for my Nikon cameras. I have too many makes/models of cameras, and I also have multiple transmitters. At any given time, any of those transmitters might be used on any of the other cameras Right now, I don't keep track. But I suppose if I did, it would definitely help.

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Jul 04, 2016 15:03 |  #99

mmmfotografie wrote in post #18056536 (external link)
On the topic of full power on a Godox AD series I can't repeat myself to often to push for an automatic deactivation of the HSS setting when the flash is on full power. When the powersetting drops beneath 1/1 (full power) the HSS can be activated again if it was activated before. The advantage is that you get almost a full stop of extra flash power and that is about the difference between a AD360 and AD600 both on full power.

That's a good point. When I was using the AD360, I'd use it at full power, then switch it to H mode 1:1 as my first power reduction.

With the Version II lights it would be useful to have the switching occur, especially in TTL mode.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by dmward.
Jul 04, 2016 15:10 |  #100

Ulysses01 wrote in post #18057741 (external link)
This is the reason I haven't yet tried to make this adjustment for my Nikon cameras. I have too many makes/models of cameras, and I also have multiple transmitters. At any given time, any of those transmitters might be used on any of the other cameras Right now, I don't keep track. But I suppose if I did, it would definitely help.

When I was a young photographer the shutters on cameras had a lot of tolerance. Also the selenium cell light meters we had had a variance from meter to meter.
Each meter had a tape on it with the adjustment for the different cameras.

Sounds like something similar could be done with the XT32 and the various cameras one is using.
Ideally, Godox sould add a Fn setting that permits multiple settings that could be identified as C1, C2, etc.

Scott, are you listening?

mmmfotografie
Goldmember
2,035 posts
Joined Jul 2013
Utrecht Netherlands
Jul 27, 2016 02:23 |  #101

The Godox XT-32c was almost there to replace my PocketWizards for my photoshoots.

However the new function, for the XT-32, to manual control the powersetting on a flash like the Canon 430EX II worked but you could not use the flash any more to take pictures. By implementing the manual control function in the X1-R the triggering of the flash while making a picture was broken. So it went from almost complete to worthless and I reverted to the previous firmware version 15.

This means that I have to take with me my trusty Pocket Wizards to shoots for where I use my 430EX II and have to control it remotely.

mmmfotografie : portfolio (external link) | ModelMayhem profile (external link)

DigitalEd
Joined Dec 2015
Sep 15, 2017 22:44 |  #102

Ulysses01 wrote in post #18018141 (external link)
I have a couple of colleagues with the D500 who confirm that the X1TN does work with it at HSS speeds.

Now that it has been out for some time any news if the Godox XT32N will work with the non TTL 360 flash and the Nikon D500 to shoot in HSS. I have yet to get this working.

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,312 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Bay Area, CA
Sep 15, 2017 22:59 |  #103

dmward wrote in post #18046826 (external link)
In my experience, the most comprehensive lighting controller is the Cyber Commander. It was a bear for me to learn but once I got through that it was a great tool for setting up and managing a lighting scheme in the studio.

I'm not sure a Godox solution has to go that far, but it would be great to be able to fire each light for metering purposes, then group them together in to multiple groups and then one master group that controls everything.

This controller doesn't have to also be a trigger. When I was using Einsteins, I used a CC to control the lighting setup and had the small trigger on the camera to fire the lights.

Since the Godox lights have TTL capabilities its important to also include the ability to use TTL to meter the lights and then lock the power setting.

Very good points.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

sponsored links

21,866 views & 29 likes for this thread
Godox roadmap for triggers and XT32 (!?!?!)
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.