Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk
Thread started 02 May 2016 (Monday) 21:32
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Disney world vacation

uspmasta
38 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Tacoma, WA
May 02, 2016 21:32 |  #1

Hello everyone, I'm still a newbie who is trying to learn to steer away from auto lol. With that being said I have a t4i and would love suggestions as to what would be the ideal lens to take with me to Disney world. I try to read as much as possible and it seems like the 24-105L is the way to go. Again any input would be greatly appreciated.

sponsored links
Motor ­ On
939 posts
Joined Feb 2007
May 02, 2016 21:46 |  #2

What do you usually shoot with? What are your options? Are you going with family/people or is your priority photography? Is there a particular shot you want to get? Can you go wider than 24mm on crop?

I live nearby and am a regular, I can go all day with just a fisheye or pancake on a Fuji, or I've slung a bag of L lenses with 2 gripped bodies; honestly my back tells a difference more than the photos. Certain parks/events lend themselves toward different leanings. I can really enjoy using one combo and come back with less than 5 images that are keepers, and I can be in a "working" mindset all day with the gear and frankly tired at the end of it all with a dozen keepers. It can be one of the most fun places to go shoot, but the experience is about more so you've got to strike a balance.

In case you're interested gallery from the last 9 months: http://www.dcanavanpho​to.com/p683079287 (external link)

Websiteexternal link | Facebookexternal link | Instagramexternal link

uspmasta
THREAD ­ STARTER
38 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Tacoma, WA
May 02, 2016 21:56 as a reply to Motor On's post |  #3

Well normally I mainly use my 50mm 1.8 I would be taking mainly pictures of family since there will be 16 of us!! YIKES. Also pictures of the park rides, characters, nighttime shots.

mathogre
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Oakton, VA USA
May 02, 2016 22:33 |  #4

Hiya!

I looked at your profile to see what you have for equipment. You have the ideal lens for the job, the 18-55mm zoom. The first time I shot with a DSLR at WDW, I had the XSi, the 18-55, and the 55-250. Whenever I used the longer zoom, I was always at the 55mm end.

The 24-105 is an excellent lens, and is an ideal walk-around lens on a full frame camera. It would likely be good on a crop, but as was suggested by Motor On, the 24 on a crop isn't very wide. If you're shooting a crowd of people, wider is better. Also, as a self-proclaimed "newbie", spending the money on a pro lens is apt to disappoint. I know people who use very high end equipment who produce garbage.

Your profile says you're in Tacoma. Take a day (or two or three) and walk around the city. Discover it or rediscover it from behind the camera. Take a family member or 15 ;) and experiment. What works? What doesn't work? That's where you'll make your investment.

WDW is great. Have a fun time!

Graham
Canon A BIG ONE A Small One An itty bitty one
My Zenfolio Collectionexternal link

disneydork06
Cream of the Crop
7,290 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
May 20, 2016 12:25 |  #5

Have you gone yet? Wide angle to fit everyone in a single photo! I just got a 14mm and love that I don't need to be so far away. Plus, very few people can walk in front of me when I use such a wide angle and you will get many people doing that for you...Use the photopass folks, they're supposed to be able to help with all photos and your own camera as well! Just talk to them.

Ryan
~AZ POTN Planned Activitiesexternal link
let me know how I can improve, cause we all know I need it :): Flickrexternal link
myspaceexternal link facebookexternal link The Greatest online forum known on Earthtwitterexternal link[URL="http://www.500px​.com/RDimal"]500xp follow me! in something^ you know you want to

uspmasta
THREAD ­ STARTER
38 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Tacoma, WA
May 20, 2016 12:32 as a reply to disneydork06's post |  #6

I'm heading over in Sept I was thinking of a pancake lens like the 24mm F2. 8

fourfa
185 posts
Joined Nov 2015
Los Angeles, CA
May 24, 2016 14:05 |  #7
banned

I personally think the 18-55 will be a better lens.

“Photography for me is not looking, it’s feeling. If you can’t feel what you’re looking at, then you’re never going to get others to feel anything when they look at your pictures.”
— Don McCullin

disneydork06
Cream of the Crop
7,290 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
May 25, 2016 16:33 |  #8

That, or if you can find a good version of the 17-55 2.8 efs lens maybe?

Ryan
let me know how I can improve, cause we all know I need it :): Flickrexternal link
myspaceexternal link facebookexternal link The Greatest online forum known on Earthtwitterexternal link[URL="http://www.500px​.com/RDimal"]500xp follow me! in something^ you know you want to

Vladdo
Joined Apr 2013
Melbourne, AU
Jun 21, 2016 03:43 |  #9

I got back from Disneyland, CA about 2 weeks ago. I used a 5d mk3 and 24-105 f4 IS for 95% of my shots. I'd suggest you get a circular polariser for whatever lens you take so you can really make the skies burst with colour. That said, the 24-105 is quite versatile so I found that I didn't really need anything wider and the zoom helped, so I could look up and capture some of the elements that most people miss.

https://www.flickr.com .../albums/72157669186​290112 (external link)

My Flickrexternal link | My Booksexternal link

Motor ­ On
939 posts
Joined Feb 2007
Jun 21, 2016 12:51 |  #10

uspmasta wrote in post #17993786 (external link)
Well normally I mainly use my 50mm 1.8 I would be taking mainly pictures of family since there will be 16 of us!! YIKES. Also pictures of the park rides, characters, nighttime shots.

If 50mm is what you use most of the time then that is what I would bring. You can get lots of portraits and small group photos and details with it. 1.8 will be helpful if you wanted to take a few shots on the "dark rides" and as the sun goes down. You can think more about the shot and having fun than the gear. You may want to consider a tripod as well and leaving it in a locker if you plan to stay until "close" (I've been there well after crowds have gone and been nowhere near close to getting the suggested move along, let alone the stern encouragement) It'll be helpful for fireworks and long exposures that help clear some of the people moving around and let you get the empty scenes.

If you've got a kit lens or a wider zoom that's probably helpful helpful if you want group shots or some of the scenery. 24 on a crop body might be a bit too tight, but if you'd use that lens outside Disney then it might be a good route to go so you have a wider option available. For 16 people the photopass route for the handful of every body lean in and smile group photos is probably the best option; and Disney makes sure they get setup in the prime locations.

Websiteexternal link | Facebookexternal link | Instagramexternal link

uspmasta
THREAD ­ STARTER
38 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Tacoma, WA
Jun 22, 2016 00:17 |  #11

Thanks for the comments I just recently purchased the 70-200 and am planning on buying a sigma 18-35 f1.8 art lens before I go in September.

alan_potter
wireless groping system
Joined May 2005
Falkirk, Scotland
Jun 26, 2016 17:37 |  #12

I agree with mathogre, the 18-55mm range is ideal. Also, the kit lens is pretty light. Seriously, when you're walking around in that heat all day it makes a difference.

You've got until September. Here's my suggestion: walk around and use the heck out of your camera before September. Take photographs, lots of them. Look at them critically. Work with the equipment you have. You will learn soon enough if there is anything there that isn't good enough to match your skills. Then, once you know why you want to use a different lens, THEN you will know what lens to go for.

FWIW, when I was at Disneyworld I had an old Canon 350D and a Sigma 18-200mm lens. The pictures weren't as sharp as they could be, but because I had learned how to use the kit I got pictures that I still get compliments on.

Average equipment with solid knowledge of how to use it mostly beats great equipment without that knowledge.

Just use your camera and push yourself. Then you will know what (if anything) you need.

Falkirk, Scotland.
Project 365 Blogexternal link | flickrexternal link

MrAnderson
Joined Dec 2016
Jan 28, 2017 20:48 |  #13

in my opinion, you should just use the camera on your phone in Disney world. Enjoy the trip and don't worry about the DSLR quality of the picture. The phone image will work fine as a memory saver. Lugging around a heavy camera will get old fast. Especially if you have kids in strollers. Don't miss the magical time there trying to get the shot.

disneydork06
Cream of the Crop
7,290 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
Mar 24, 2017 16:25 as a reply to MrAnderson's post |  #14

Applel store has this really cool iphone case that has a light to help light up your photos or video. Find something similar for some really cool shots! Could work well even in sunlight to help soften the shadows!

Ryan

deronsizemore
Joined Dec 2010
May 10, 2017 14:14 |  #15

I brought my 5DMII to Disney with my 85mm and 40mm. It worked out and I like a lot of the shots I got, but like others have said, a cell phone would probably serve the purpose of capturing some memories. Maybe bring your DSLR one day if you wish but it got to be sort of a pain to lug it around all day each day.

http://www.famsnap.com (external link)
5DMII | Canon 40 f/2.8 STM | Canon 84mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di VC USD
500px (external link) | Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

7,174 views & 9 likes for this thread
Disney world vacation
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.