Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Underwater Photography Talk
Thread started 03 May 2016 (Tuesday) 12:04
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

question on slave strobes

Flores
Goldmember
1,179 posts
Joined May 2010
TEXAS
May 03, 2016 12:04 |  #1

Ok, trying to do the 'nice camera underwater' thing on a budget, and I found a nice deal on Amazon for a hard case for a canon T2i (which is an old body I still use, and don't care if it dies a horrible watery death).

http://www.amazon.com ...laroid+underwater+h​ousing (external link)

Seemed like a reasonable risk, so I went with it. And it worked great! After testing and practicing with it, I grabbed a couple of fantasea nano flashes, and the fiber optic flash repeater cable to get them to pop.

I can not for the LIFE of me get them to work reliably. The housing has an area to plug in one end of the fiber, which then goes back to the nano, but unless it's VERY dark, the nano won't always go off. I figured being 35-40ft under water would be dark enough, but apparently not.

My little brain tells me one of these is probably the issue:
1) camera flash on the t2i not transmitting enough light through the housing?
2) bad fiber (i've re-finished/trimmed both ends to make sure there is a good, flat/clean surface)
3) a feature of the nano
4) a problem on any slave I try to use with this camera/housing setup

does anyone have experience with the nano flashes? do they need a good, dark area to work in? Do I need to max out the flash compensation, in order to make sure I get a good, bright flash to trigger it?

cicopo
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2007
Ottawa, Ont, Canada
May 03, 2016 16:10 |  #2

I looked at the housing photos & it looks like there are 2 connectors for the fiber optic cables to plug into. If that's correct are they directly in front of the built in flash when it's popped up? If so that should supply a strong enough signal to make a slave go off if it has a similar connector for the cable. They should trigger in daylight so something is wrong somewhere. I'm not familiar with your strobes so a link for them might help but I use a very similar set up to fire my pair of Sea & Sea strobes which has worked well for years however last trip one cable was damaged & needs repair or replacement.

A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought.

1,231 views & 0 likes for this thread
question on slave strobes
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Underwater Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.