Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 10 May 2016 (Tuesday) 03:12
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Flashpoint XPLOR 600

fjhphotography
Joined May 2015
May 10, 2016 03:12 |  #1

Thoughts on it? So far I'm loving it. I've done a session in TTL mode and it made shooting so easy. Also love that I don't need anything but the transmitter for TTL and HSS. Had to write a blog post about my experiences with it. Included a FAQ section too. =)

http://www.fjhphoto.co​m ...016/5/6/that-xplor-strobe (external link)

Here's some images taken with it.

From the TTL session I did.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

From a commercial fashion shoot I did.
HOSTED PHOTO
Photo from fjhphotography's gallery.

Canon 6D + 135L My YouTube Channel! (external link)|My facebook (external link)| My site (external link)| My Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
mmmfotografie
Goldmember
2,035 posts
Joined Jul 2013
Utrecht Netherlands
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by mmmfotografie.
May 10, 2016 04:03 |  #2

Is that not just a Godox AD600? :mrgreen:

mmmfotografie : portfolio (external link) | ModelMayhem profile (external link)

fjhphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2015
May 10, 2016 04:22 as a reply to mmmfotografie's post |  #3

Very first question in the FAQ ;-)a

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon 6D + 135L My YouTube Channel! (external link)|My facebook (external link)| My site (external link)| My Instagram (external link)

gremlin75
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2011
Detroit, MI
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by gremlin75.
May 10, 2016 20:12 |  #4

Glad to see there is a Fuji transmitter in the works. While TTL is nice I don't use it much, however HSS is aiming I am missing a lot with Fuji.

Do you know if the Fuji transmitter, when it's released, will allow for Hss on Fuji cameras?

Edit: never mind. Read up the Q&A section for the transmitter that it is not specified if it will have hss yet.

fjhphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2015
May 10, 2016 20:42 as a reply to gremlin75's post |  #5

More than likely it will. Just requires fine tuning and more testing. That's what I'm guessing. Sony triggers took a while to perfect HSS and now it's Fuji's turn.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
May 10, 2016 20:52 |  #6

Looks fantastic.

I went with Rovelight back at release, there wasn't really anything competing in the price range for the portability, output and HSS. The past year has really had some great releases. If my Rovelight gives up the ghost, the XPLOR 600 sounds like my next light if that ever happens.

I actually like getting Flashpoint because I like dealing with Adorama, their customer service, and warranty and stuff all here in the States so I don't have to fool with anything overseas or deal with weird service. I've had to have a few issues dealt with via Adorama and they always made it right without me spending all the money on my end--they support their stuff, so I give full endorsement on that end. I'll take Flashpoint for that reason. I have a few strobes by Flashpoint at this point that are basically Jinbei and Godox lights, but with State-side service/warranty/etc.

I definitely like the idea of the ease of the new transceiver, and while I'm not big on TTL on a strobe, I can appreciate having it versus it not being an option at all. Very cool.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,623 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
May 10, 2016 21:56 |  #7

Very nice, and love your examples.
I'm using the smaller flashpoint 360s and loving them. some day if the need arises, I will enjoy adding this more powerful light, and it's totally compatible with my 360s :)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

fjhphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2015
May 10, 2016 22:53 as a reply to MalVeauX's post |  #8

Thanks, MalVaeuX. Although, I haven't had to deal with any errors on my part I hear Helen from Adorama is great and that the customer service is top notch as well. I had the Rovelight for almost a year before getting the XPLOR and was happy with it, but the XPLOR is just a better buy. I got TTL because I never had used it before and wanted to see how it faired. I love it now. Used it today at a shoot and was constantly giving me good readings.

fjhphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2015
May 10, 2016 22:54 as a reply to CyberDyneSystems's post |  #9

Thanks, man. Yup, Flashpoint really didn't want to leave any light behind, haha.

mmmfotografie
Goldmember
2,035 posts
Joined Jul 2013
Utrecht Netherlands
May 11, 2016 05:01 |  #10

fjhphotography wrote in post #18003107 (external link)
Thanks, MalVaeuX. Although, I haven't had to deal with any errors on my part I hear Helen from Adorama is great and that the customer service is top notch as well. I had the Rovelight for almost a year before getting the XPLOR and was happy with it, but the XPLOR is just a better buy. I got TTL because I never had used it before and wanted to see how it faired. I love it now. Used it today at a shoot and was constantly giving me good readings.

Helen is there, when the top notch customer service is not that notch.

mmmfotografie : portfolio (external link) | ModelMayhem profile (external link)

fjhphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2015
May 11, 2016 06:38 as a reply to mmmfotografie's post |  #11

I guess that's good to know then, haha. Hopefully I won't have to deal with customer service at all.

mdripper
93 posts
Joined Jul 2013
May 17, 2016 08:41 |  #12

Just revieved my XPLOR 600 yesterday, still waiting on the trigger but its looks awesome!

5D mk III || 7D mk II || Canon 50 f/1.4 || 70-200 f/2.8 II L || 17-40 f/4 L
XPLOR 600 || 600ex-rt || a couple R2 Speedlights ||

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
May 17, 2016 17:56 |  #13

The second two arrived today.
Along with one Nikon trigger, both Canon triggers are backorders. Not sure why but hopefully before too long.
I need to have them in hand before I can setup some workshops.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

fjhphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2015
May 17, 2016 23:33 as a reply to mdripper's post |  #14

An alternative I've been suggesting to people is getting the godox X1-C transmitter since it works perfectly fine with the XPLOR system. I bought one to see for myself. Adorama is taking a while for the transmitters.

http://www.amazon.com ...sin_til&tag=8675309​02b-20 (external link)

The only transmitters available with quick shipping on Amazon I could find was this pair that has the transmitter and a receiver. The receiver may or may not come in handy one day. This is just a solution if you need the transmitter ASAP.

FLiPxJB
Joined May 2014
Chino Hills, CA
Jun 23, 2016 08:59 as a reply to fjhphotography's post |  #15

Hello - i read your blog about this strobe and i'm thinking of getting it also. a quick question, what do i need so i can use my PCB 47" octabox with this strobe?

thanks.

| Canon 5Div | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 35mm f/1.4L II | 50mm f/1.2L | 85mm f/1.2L II | 1.4x III I Speedlite 600EX-RT (2x) | ST-E3-RT | f-stop Lotus | Manfrotto MT190GOC4TB | Acratech GPSs Ballhead |

sponsored links

9,908 views & 13 likes for this thread
Flashpoint XPLOR 600
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.