Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk
Thread started 14 May 2016 (Saturday) 00:07
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Anyone here spent time at Yosemite National Park?

CatchingUp
Goldmember
1,806 posts
Joined Jul 2006
Texas
May 14, 2016 00:07 |  #1

I would like to pick your brain if anyone has spent a few days at this park taking pictures. I'm wanting to plan a trip there and would love to hear from someone experienced with the layout, locations, ideal shooting spits, how to get around.

I have an RV and need to make reservations for late summer if that's even still possible...want to capture the basic iconic shots...do some milky way shots, the falls, mirror lake, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Tony

Tony
I use Canon gear...have several bodies and lenses and am quite pleased with them.

"A person's gift will make room for itself."

sponsored links
ed57gmc
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2011
Turlock CA
May 16, 2016 15:10 |  #2

My father was born there. He went to school with Ansel Adams kids. The valley has camping spots but they're mostly for tent camping. If you can find any sites for an RV, its probably been reserved a year in advance. There is a KOA near Mariposa that doesn't look to bad. I haven't stayed there though. I recommend hiking to Sentinel Dome. Its an easy mile hike from the road to Glacier Point. You can get a 360 degree panorama from the top.

Ed
Canon 7D, T2i, EF 100-400mm L, EF 100mm 2.8 L, EF-S 15-85mm, EF 50mm 1.4 IS, 480 EX, etc.

Cliffbsa
Joined Jan 2011
Clovis,CA
May 16, 2016 21:34 as a reply to post 18009390 |  #3

Definitely not Yosemite!

OhLook
Spiderwoman
14,960 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
May 16, 2016 23:02 |  #4

N2bnfunn wrote in post #18009390 (external link)
I just came back from there ... here are some of pictures I took while I was there... https://www.flickr.com​/photos/snapuphoto (external link)

The sign in the first picture says Yellowstone. The herd of bison "says" Yellowstone, too. Yosemite has no bison.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

OhLook
Spiderwoman
14,960 posts
Joined Dec 2012
May 17, 2016 00:37 |  #5

N2bnfunn wrote in post #18009610 (external link)
I have NO CLUE of what you are talking about.. have you ever been there before?

What I'm talking about is this: The OP asked about Yosemite, and you posted a link to photos of Yellowstone. Both are national parks whose names begin with Y, but they are different places.

I've been in Yosemite many times. I've never gone to Yellowstone.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,359 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by John from PA. 2 edits done in total.
May 17, 2016 06:31 |  #6

Speaking from experience, there is an excellent resource at http://www.colbybrownp​hotography.com ...ide-to-visiting-yosemite/ (external link).

Another good resource is at http://www.garyhartpho​tography.com/photograp​h/locations.html (external link). On the home page you see numerous sample images. Click one of interest and you get detailed information, including latitude and longitude should you have a "hiking" GPS.

There used to be a free walking photo tour in the early morning sponsored by Kodak. Something similar is still offered by the Ansel Adams Center. See http://www.anseladams.​com/camera-walk/ (external link).

The unfortunate thing about late summer is most of the waterfalls have little if any water flow.

Having been to both Yosemite and Yellowstone several times, I agree that the link provided by N2bnfunn is definitley not Yosemite but highly likely to be Yellowstone!

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
8,964 posts
Joined Apr 2006
North Carolina
May 17, 2016 10:53 |  #7

The waterfalls at Yosemite are mostly fed by the melting snow pack. The volume of water will be dictated by how heavy the snow pack was, the temps, the time of season and so forth. A visit in late summer could be disappointing.

Website (external link) |

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,359 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
May 17, 2016 12:45 |  #8

Here's a guide to RV camping...https://www.nps.gov ...anyourvisit/rvcampi​ng.htm (external link)

N2bnfunn
Joined Dec 2010
May 18, 2016 09:49 as a reply to OhLook's post |  #9

Sorry I got my parks mixed up.. that is Yellowstone

Canon 1DX Canon 5D MkIII Lens EF 16-35 L 2.8 EF 70-200 L 2.8 EF 50mm 1.2 L 24-105 4.0 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 Intuos Small Tablet 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

N2bnfunn
Joined Dec 2010
May 18, 2016 09:50 as a reply to OhLook's post |  #10

Sorry wrong park....

Canon 1DX Canon 5D MkIII Lens EF 16-35 L 2.8 EF 70-200 L 2.8 EF 50mm 1.2 L 24-105 4.0 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 Intuos Small Tablet 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

CatchingUp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,806 posts
Joined Jul 2006
Texas
May 18, 2016 20:00 |  #11

Thanks for the info....been buried in work and not made it back here. Been wanting to go so bad...just found out the RV spots which are taken up quickly, have no electric hook ups. Thought that was interesting. I want to have the trip planned out and know where I want to go before I get there...

Tony
I use Canon gear...have several bodies and lenses and am quite pleased with them.

"A person's gift will make room for itself."

itsallart
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2015
Near Dallas
May 18, 2016 20:18 |  #12

I have camped at a KOA campground at the West Entrance in Wyoming and if my memory serves me right it was a nice campground but I was in a cabin and not in an RV. And on top of it it was quite a few years ago. From what I recall is the grounds were OK, nothing exciting but, heck we slept and did some day trips to see all sorts of things, the bison, geysers etc. Here is a link https://koa.com ...ype/cabin-accommodations/ (external link)

Renata
Seeing lights and shadows is an art :)
Renata Sharman (external link)Tanami Muse (external link)
Facebook (external link) 500px (external link)
Live Event Painting (external link)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
14,960 posts
Joined Dec 2012
May 18, 2016 20:36 |  #13

itsallart wrote in post #18011578 (external link)
I have camped at a KOA campground at the West Entrance in Wyoming . . .

Renata, that would be Yellowstone. The OP asked about Yosemite. Sometimes I wish those two parks had different initials.

There's a KOA campground on Highway 140, west of Yosemite, but it's not very close.

itsallart
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2015
Near Dallas
May 18, 2016 20:48 as a reply to OhLook's post |  #14

Sorry, OhLook, I got really confused. There was at talk about Yosemite and Yellowstone and my old mind needs defragmenting or re-formatting :)

Renata
Seeing lights and shadows is an art :)
Renata Sharman (external link)Tanami Muse (external link)
Facebook (external link) 500px (external link)
Live Event Painting (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,359 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by John from PA.
May 19, 2016 05:01 |  #15

CatchingUp wrote in post #18011563 (external link)
Thanks for the info....been buried in work and not made it back here. Been wanting to go so bad...just found out the RV spots which are taken up quickly, have no electric hook ups. Thought that was interesting. I want to have the trip planned out and know where I want to go before I get there...

Consider renting a small generator, which can be used in the park although the hours are limited (7 am to 9 am, noon to 2 pm, and 5 pm to 7 pm). Since you come from Texas I just threw in Houston into Google and came up with Sunbelt Rentals charging $120/week for a Honda 2000 watt machine. You likely will not need air conditioning in late summer. The temps get well down into the low 60's in the evening.

Home Depot also rents small generators so carefully check your route, pick one up near where you enter the park and return when you leave.

sponsored links

5,475 views & 1 like for this thread
Anyone here spent time at Yosemite National Park?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.