Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Accessories
Thread started 16 May 2016 (Monday) 09:16
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

3rd Party Battery Grips

werds
"Yes, Sire. You'll shut your trap!"
Joined Mar 2014
Delaware
May 16, 2016 09:16 |  #1

OK, so creating this thread because as much as I love Nikon first party stuff I have come to notice that many 3rd party manufacturers are filling in the gaps nicely. I currently use a 3rd party grip on both my D&50 and my D7200, and although they do not feel as solid as the Nikon branded grips I have had less issue and saved more money! (I tested out the Nikon branded grip on my D7200 and had some serious battery drain issues and blinking green light issues. Problems I do not have with the 3rd party grip)

As an added bonus both of the grips come with wireless remote shutter triggers!

For the D7200 I have this one in particular http://smile.amazon.co​m ...=oh_aui_search_deta​ilpage (external link)

The only issue I have with it other than the shutter feel being slightly different and there being a slight bit of flex between the grip and body. Otherwise it has saved a pretty dime works wonderfully and gives me remote shutter as well all in one package!

http://smile.amazon.co​m ...=oh_aui_search_deta​ilpage (external link)

I have the same to say about the MK-DR750 except this one has never displayed any flex between the grip and the body in the use I have put it through.

Gear: Nikon D750, Nikon D7200, Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS, Sigma 50-150 2.8 OS HSM EX , Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR1, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Tamron 28-300mm Di VC PZD, Tamron 16-300mm VC PZD, Tamron 150-600 VC, Nikon AF-S 50mm 1.8, Nikon SB-900
POTN Seller Feedback (and other)

huntersdad
Goldmember
4,424 posts
Joined Nov 2008
Jun 07, 2016 20:58 |  #2

I've not tried the Nikon version, but I have 3rd party grips for both my 750s and refuse to use them. Both report the battery power wrong whether using Nikon batteries are third party. But the kicker for me is that both have locked up during the heat of a wedding and rendered the camera useless. I had to uninstall the batteries, remove the grip, reattach the grip put the batteries back in then it reset.

I'm not knocking 3rd party stuff (I have as many Sigma lenses as I do Nikon), but there's still some work to be done for some of them. FWIW, both of my grips are well known 3rd party brands.

Facebook (external link)

http://WWW.BLENDEDLIGH​TPHOTOGRAPHY.COM (external link)
5D4 / 35 F2 / 50L / 85 1.8

JoeLopez
408 posts
Joined Jun 2009
Detroit, MI
Aug 04, 2017 09:36 |  #3

I used a XIT grip on my D7100 and was having intermittent AF issues. Replaced it with the overpriced NIKON version and have had zero issues.

D7100 | 35/50/85 1.8G | Tamron 17-50 2.8 & 70-200 2.8 VC | Tokina 11-16 f2.8 DX II
Fujifilm X100T | Nikon F3/T, FE2 | Minolta XG1 | Yashica Electro 35 GSN
Gear List
Detroit Imagery (external link) - Detroit area event photographer : Flickr (external link)

1,329 views & 1 like for this thread
3rd Party Battery Grips
FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Accessories

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.