Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 20 May 2016 (Friday) 17:53
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Tablets

drisley
"What a Tool I am"
8,858 posts
Joined Nov 2002
May 20, 2016 17:53 |  #1

Instead of carrying a laptop around to meet with potential clients, I would like a tablet. But, I do have an iMac, so I'm wondering if there is anything I would be wary of if I wanted to go with an Android?
Any advantages/disadvantag​es to the android vs apple products (I love the look of the samsungs) and potential compatibility issues, recommendations as well.

Thoughts?

1D Mark III - 5D Mark IV - 24-70/2.8L - 70-200/2.8L Mark II - Samyang 14/2.8

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by MalVeauX.
May 20, 2016 18:44 |  #2

Heya,

What do you do with the tablet for clients? Show them a digital portfolio? Take notes on it?

If you're just using JPG and some app to scribble notes or type notes, you can use any tablet out there. You certainly don't need a costly tablet for this. Spend more effort on getting a portfolio gallery app that displays things the best way you want to present them. That's more important than the device they're on, other than having a nice IPS screen.

I use a 7" asus with an IPS panel and I like it for portfolio sharing. Small enough to not be crazy to carry around, bright, great battery life, and I just load it with JPG's (takes microSD which is a lot faster to load lots of quality images and other things instead of tethering, or using wifi, etc) and use the built in gallery (android) and it is great to see collages and swipe through individual images. $100.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

110yd
754 posts
Joined Jan 2005
May 20, 2016 19:21 |  #3

I recently went down a similar path and ended up with a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (8in). Very happy
with the display capabilities of the tablet. I am not a big fan of Android, but the tablet has a
feature set that works in my application. I have added a microSD card, which is not something
you can do with an IPAD. I have also installed DSLR controller to be able to tether to a camera.

So far I am a happy camper. You should be able to find the tablet $100 off the MSRP if you shop.

Regards,

110yd

ericcrazyman
Joined Apr 2013
New Brunswick, Canada
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by ericcrazyman. 2 edits done in total.
May 21, 2016 09:05 |  #4

Had tablets, android. Found they slowed me down So I got me an I5 8 gig 256 gig SSD surface Pro. I got all my win software on it. I can go to a client hook surface wireless to his tv or hook to his monitor and show files and work the the file while he gives input. Yep, a lot pricey.

A photograph is worth a thousand words, but Photoshop can produce a thousand lies. Photo editing allowed. I need all the help I can get.

ShotByTom
Goldmember
2,915 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Indianapolis
May 28, 2016 13:24 |  #5

I've used iPads or a few years now, I also have an iMac and MacBook Pro. I bought the 12.9" iPad Pro and Apple Pencil and find now that I use the iPad much more than I ever have. I love editing on it in conjunction with my iMac with AstroPad app, and I use Studio Pro App for presentations to clients. Studio Pro has a photo loader that works great with OSX to easily get a large number of images on your iPad.

Links:

https://studioproapp.c​om/ (external link)

http://astropad.com/ (external link)

(I am not connected in any way to either of these apps, just love using them!)

Gear
Websiteexternal link

1,392 views & 3 likes for this thread
Tablets
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.