Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 22 May 2016 (Sunday) 12:59
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Need help

BJ_Nguyen
Joined Jan 2012
Atlanta GA
May 22, 2016 12:59 |  #1

Hi everyone,

Unfortunately, My car was broken into, and my cameras and lenses have been stolen. We were in a car rental in Miami, FL. does anyone have any suggestions or advises for me about how to track down my camera stuff or any advises at all about my situation?? I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

sponsored links
rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
19,259 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined May 2012
U.S.A.
May 22, 2016 13:18 |  #2

Gee that's really bad. File a claim with your insurance company, You do have insurance don't you?

Mark

BJ_Nguyen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2012
Atlanta GA
May 22, 2016 13:40 as a reply to rrblint's post |  #3

Unfortunately ! I don't have insurance.

tonylong
...winded
54,592 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Vancouver, WA USA
May 22, 2016 13:59 |  #4

Do you have serial numbers of any/all of the stuff?

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBaseexternal link
Wildlife project pics hereexternal link, Biking Photog shoots hereexternal link, "Suburbia" project hereexternal link! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics hereexternal link

S.Horton
I'm having size issues, does this get worse with age?
18,014 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Royersford, PA
May 22, 2016 14:35 |  #5

Um, my auto policy will cover contents up to a certain amount....

But, I also have specific valuable items covered by S/N today.

Sorry that happened to you....

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.comexternal link 
Want your title changed?Dream On!external link

:cool:

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
May 23, 2016 01:13 |  #6

1. Check the local craigs list for new sales of the items you lost.

2. Learn from the experience - anything you can't afford to replace should be insured.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

J ­ Michael
Joined Feb 2010
Atlanta
May 23, 2016 05:41 |  #7

Check every pawn shop within 5 miles of the theft. It's a huge help if you have the serial numbers. If you ordered the equipment online you might be able to pull up the invoices on the vendors website and find the serial numbers if you don't have those. Good luck.

S.Horton
I'm having size issues, does this get worse with age?
18,014 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Royersford, PA
May 23, 2016 07:38 |  #8

Personally I'd alert KEH.COM, because they are the only online vendor I know of which responds to a request to sell them used gear and executes the process.

And they do check S/Ns.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.comexternal link 
Want your title changed?Dream On!external link

:cool:

BJ_Nguyen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2012
Atlanta GA
May 23, 2016 10:19 |  #9

thank you to all Advises ! now we're back home Georgia and sitting in empty room ;( Our wedding in 2 more weeks and so stressful now. Hopefully they will contact us to deal for all equipments.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,146 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by Wilt.
May 23, 2016 10:45 |  #10

Never put valuables in the trunk when you have ARRIVED AT the parking spot!!! Thieves watch folks, and know to break in.
Think of Xmas break-ins in shopping center parking lots, when people put purchases into the trunk, and go back inside to do more shopping

If you find it necessary to place valuables in the trunk, put them inside the trunk SOMEWHERE ELSE and THEN go find a place to park, close and lock the doors and walk away as if all your valuables are being taken with you.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

mikeinctown
Goldmember
1,959 posts
Joined May 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
May 24, 2016 07:53 |  #11

There are different policies that could cover your stuff. You say you don't have insurance, but you had a car rental, which means you had at least your normal auto coverage OR purchased coverage through the rental company. Look through the auto policy closely. Also, in many cases a homeowners policy would cover this theft, after you have paid the deductible. So while my personal articles policy would cover my camera equipment with zero deductible, my homeowners would cover it anyway, with my $500 deductible.

Canon EOS 1D X | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM | Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | C |

BJ_Nguyen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2012
Atlanta GA
May 24, 2016 14:08 as a reply to mikeinctown's post |  #12

We called car rental insurance and they said NOT cover personal items ! We also called Adorama and Canon customer service to see any help, but they just got all my items Serial # to see any service later.
Question : Do you know any web or place to get equipment insurance ? Time to get serious after big lesson learned. Thank you in advance!

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,452 posts
Joined Dec 2002
Southeastern WI, USA
May 24, 2016 14:59 |  #13

BJ_Nguyen wrote in post #18017676 (external link)
Question : Do you know any web or place to get equipment insurance ? Time to get serious after big lesson learned. Thank you in advance!

Go to your homeowner's (or renter's) insurance agency.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

sponsored links

1,829 views & 3 likes for this thread
Need help
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.