Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 23 May 2016 (Monday) 15:23
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Need repair advice (EOS 5D Mark III)

WilsonFlyer
374 posts
Joined Mar 2011
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by WilsonFlyer.
May 26, 2016 06:46 |  #16

Or charge you a thousand dollars and throw NO new parts in your camera and hope it fixes a problem we (Canon service) know doesn't exist because it's a cable problem that we'll help you figure out once we send it back to you and have your $$$.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EOS 6D, EOS 70D, EOS 550D / EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4, EOS 80D | Sony α6000 / ILCE-6000, α6300 / ILCE-6300 | GoPro Hero 3+ Silver | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM, EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM, EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM | Sony E 3.5-5.6/18-55mm OSS, E 3.5-6.3/18-200mm OSS LE |

sponsored links
eleazar123
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2009
May 26, 2016 08:10 |  #17

As if this experience didn't already leave a bad taste in my mouth for canon support...I e-mailed to check on the shipping status and received this response:

Your camera is being prepared for return shipping. From the date of rejection, it normally takes 5-7 business days for the whole process to occur.

So it takes 1-1.5 weeks just to ship my camera back? vmad When I first read their disclaimers about potential timeline, I thought it was 5-7 days total (to fix it and ship it back), not 5-7 days to fix it, another 5-7 days to get it shipped out.

Sony A7RII // Zeiss Batis 85mm 1.4 // Sony Zeiss 35mm 1.4 || Feedback

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
Joined Jan 2010
Florida
May 26, 2016 10:54 |  #18

eleazar123 wrote in post #18019617 (external link)
As if this experience didn't already leave a bad taste in my mouth for canon support...I e-mailed to check on the shipping status and received this response:

So it takes 1-1.5 weeks just to ship my camera back? vmad When I first read their disclaimers about potential timeline, I thought it was 5-7 days total (to fix it and ship it back), not 5-7 days to fix it, another 5-7 days to get it shipped out.

No...no....no.........​.you see....these highly technical things take a great deal of time. As they told you your camera is being prepared for shipment. This step alone is very critical and must be done with the utmost care by an individual with extensive training. Once prepared for shipment then it goes to the next highly trained individual that then actually packs the camera. Once packed the camera is then sent to the shipping department where it is put into the shipping queue to await the shipment.

One the other hand, had you elected to spend the thousand dollars and actually had it 'repaired'.......it would have been back in your hands already. Probably displaying the same problem.

But.......you'd have it back right quick.

Now do you understand? :rolleyes:

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob

joeseph
"smells like turd"
Joined Jan 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
May 26, 2016 15:22 |  #19

It may have been moved from the shelf marked "for repair" to the shelf marked "for shipping"
Or perhaps it's just waiting for an engineer to process this step. ;-)a

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

joewend76
Joined Aug 2011
Milwaukee Area
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by joewend76.
May 26, 2016 15:41 |  #20

Scary that they had a repair price quoted for this problem. Clearly they had done nothing to troubleshoot it, before coming up with a price.

WilsonFlyer
374 posts
Joined Mar 2011
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by WilsonFlyer.
May 26, 2016 16:26 |  #21

I certainly hope that after all of this, there is nothing actually wrong with the guy's camera. I sincerely believe this to be the case.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EOS 6D, EOS 70D, EOS 550D / EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4, EOS 80D | Sony α6000 / ILCE-6000, α6300 / ILCE-6300 | GoPro Hero 3+ Silver | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM, EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM, EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM | Sony E 3.5-5.6/18-55mm OSS, E 3.5-6.3/18-200mm OSS LE |

sourcehill
Joined Aug 2013
Boston
May 27, 2016 12:41 |  #22

The fact that they quoted you and had no idea what the issue is bothers me. I would love to know what they THOUGHT the issue was.

If it was me, I'd be on the phone with CPS grilling them about quoting me for an issue they know nothing about. Ugh. Makes my blood boil.

I like gear and I have too much.
Check out my current work on Instagram @immichaelcarmen
redwoodandrye.com

joeseph
"smells like turd"
Joined Jan 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by joeseph. 2 edits done in total.
May 28, 2016 03:42 |  #23

Realistically without testing the camera, they have only a best guess as to what is wrong and given the image presented they'd look to be replacing either the main PCB or the sensor (either of which is not cheap)
I wouldn't be giving Canon a hard time over this...

[edit] Sorry. for some reason when I wrote this, I had the idea in my head that Canon hadn't actually seen the camera & were plain guessing the cause & cost to repair.
Having read the thread again, I'm inclined to agree with the following posters....

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,558 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by Bassat.
May 28, 2016 06:41 |  #24

joeseph wrote in post #18021576 (external link)
Realistically without testing the camera, they have only a best guess as to what is wrong and given the image presented they'd look to be replacing either the main PCB or the sensor (either of which is not cheap)
I wouldn't be giving Canon a hard time over this...

On the contrary, Canon CS should be beat to a bloody, disgusting, putrid pulp over this. Canon had the camera in their hands. Canon sent the owner a repair bill for $967. If the problem is the card reader, USB cable, or card itself, Canon would have been unable to find a problem. Canon's first response on seeing the problem photos (before suggesting the owner send it in) should have been: Try a new card/reader/cable.

If there is nothing wrong with the views on the rear LCD, the problem cannot possibly be the sensor, and would most likely be the card-writing subsystem. The facts that it does not affect both cards, and does not happen all the time suggests it is NOT the card-writing subsystem. Which leaves the card/reader/cable as the most likely culprit. Totally unexcuse-able, IMHO.

Tom

saea501
Joined Jan 2010
Florida
May 28, 2016 06:55 |  #25

Bassat wrote in post #18021630 (external link)
On the contrary, Canon CS should be beat to a bloody, disgusting, putrid pulp over this. Canon had the camera in their hands. Canon sent the owner a repair bill for $967. If the problem is the card reader, USB cable, or card itself, Canon would have been unable to find a problem. Canon's first response on seeing the problem photos (before suggesting the owner send it in) should have been: Try a new card/reader/cable.

If there is nothing wrong with the views on the rear LCD, the problem cannot possibly be the sensor, and would most likely be the card-writing subsystem. The facts that it does not affect both cards, and does not happen all the time suggests it is NOT the card-writing subsystem. Which leaves the card/reader/cable as the most likely culprit. Totally unexcuse-able, IMHO.

Absolutely right on the money.

I have been troubleshooting and repairing electronics for 50 years. To quote a price for a repair when you have not been able to duplicate the problem.......seriousl​y?

"Here.....let's see what I can pull out of my butt.....oh, yea....$967 sounds about right."

Bob

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,558 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
May 28, 2016 07:33 |  #26

saea501 wrote in post #18021634 (external link)
Absolutely right on the money.

I have been troubleshooting and repairing electronics for 50 years. To quote a price for a repair when you have not been able to duplicate the problem.......seriousl​y?

"Here.....let's see what I can pull out of my butt.....oh, yea....$967 sounds about right."

I've had bad experiences with Canon repair service. Bad experiences with Canon repair service are becoming more prevalent on these pages. There is a Nikon shop about 30 miles from home that will work on any camera brand. If they can get the parts, they will fix it. I have not used them, yet. The ability to actually show the repair person the problem, and test it when I go to pick up my camera is huge. I will still use Canon for warranty service, if I ever buy new Canon gear. After that, I'm not wasting my time, nor my money.

Tom

eleazar123
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2009
Jun 09, 2016 08:04 |  #27

Thought I'd post a quick update.

So 3 days after I declined the repair, I got a call saying they could reduce the cost of my repair by using a "harvested" part from another camera, and then they offered 20% off on top of that, bringing the total to around $430. Normally I would appreciate this offer, but I was fully expecting my camera to already be shipped.

I declined that repair as well, and told them I had to have the camera the following Wednesday as I was flying Thursday. So he said he would rush it downstairs to get it shipped on Friday. It didn't actually ship Friday and Monday was Memorial day. Thank goodness he set it for overnight delivery, so I did receive it on Wednesday before I had to fly.

I've now taken at least 500 pictures. I used a different reader, cable and computer. I haven't had a single issue like in my original post. All images have been perfectly flawless. I'm so happy about this. :-)

Thank you all again for your responses. It only cost me $30 for shipping to Canon. You guys saved me from spending another $967 :)

Sony A7RII // Zeiss Batis 85mm 1.4 // Sony Zeiss 35mm 1.4 || Feedback

sourcehill
Joined Aug 2013
Boston
Jun 09, 2016 09:04 |  #28

I'm still curious what part they were going to 'harvest' to 'repair' your perfectly working camera. Crazy. Does not make me feel great about CPS.

I like gear and I have too much.
Check out my current work on Instagram @immichaelcarmen
redwoodandrye.com

joewend76
Joined Aug 2011
Milwaukee Area
Jun 10, 2016 20:38 |  #29

eleazar123 wrote in post #18033914 (external link)
Thought I'd post a quick update.

So 3 days after I declined the repair, I got a call saying they could reduce the cost of my repair by using a "harvested" part from another camera, and then they offered 20% off on top of that, bringing the total to around $430. Normally I would appreciate this offer, but I was fully expecting my camera to already be shipped.

I declined that repair as well, and told them I had to have the camera the following Wednesday as I was flying Thursday. So he said he would rush it downstairs to get it shipped on Friday. It didn't actually ship Friday and Monday was Memorial day. Thank goodness he set it for overnight delivery, so I did receive it on Wednesday before I had to fly.

I've now taken at least 500 pictures. I used a different reader, cable and computer. I haven't had a single issue like in my original post. All images have been perfectly flawless. I'm so happy about this. :-)

Thank you all again for your responses. It only cost me $30 for shipping to Canon. You guys saved me from spending another $967 :)

That is crazy. I can't believe they would still push you to get an unneeded repair?

saea501
Joined Jan 2010
Florida
Jun 11, 2016 07:14 |  #30

joewend76 wrote in post #18035606 (external link)
That is crazy. I can't believe they would still push you to get an unneeded repair?

I think this happens a lot. It falls under the category of additional company profit.

Bob

sponsored links

4,268 views & 14 likes for this thread
Need repair advice (EOS 5D Mark III)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.