Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Lens Rumors and Predictions
Thread started 26 May 2016 (Thursday) 07:23
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Sigma 85mm f/1.4 Art lens to be announced soon

brian4646
Joined Dec 2011
Tennessee
May 26, 2016 07:23 |  #1

http://photorumors.com ...lens-to-be-released-soon/ (external link)

Canon 6D ~ Canon 35mm F2 IS ~ Canon 85mm F1.8 ~ Canon 50mm F1.8 STM ~ Canon 135mm F2

sponsored links
Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,550 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by Bassat.
May 26, 2016 08:55 |  #2

OMFG! Two more mouse clicks, if you please.

This 'confirmed' rumor (an impossibility in itself) is based entirely and completely on a Tweet sent out by one camera store, and reported on by this same institution. Photorumors.com looked at its own based-on-nothing rumor-starter and generates 'confirmed' report of the coming of the 85 Art.

At least CanonRumors attempts to hide their complete lack of information with the whole CR1 or CR3 thing. I've never heard of Photo Rumors, but my guess is that their 'hit' rate is just about equal to CR - zero correct predictions out of every prediction they've ever made. Whatever, people still buy LifeLock.

Tom

brian4646
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2011
Tennessee
May 26, 2016 21:33 as a reply to Bassat's post |  #3

2 more clicks
http://www.canonrumors​.com ...-coming-to-photokina-cr3/ (external link)

Canon 6D ~ Canon 35mm F2 IS ~ Canon 85mm F1.8 ~ Canon 50mm F1.8 STM ~ Canon 135mm F2

Bassat
6,550 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
May 26, 2016 22:29 as a reply to brian4646's post |  #4

Yep. More gibberish based on nothing. Both of the sites you cite are in business only because some people will believe anything. Neither of them is in the business of providing advance notice of impending hardware releases. AFAIK, neither one of them has every correctly predicted anything before the actual product's public release. They are in the business of getting people to look at the advertising they are selling. It is, apparently, a good business model.

Tom

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,123 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
May 27, 2016 07:11 |  #5

Bassat wrote in post #18020377 (external link)
Yep. More gibberish based on nothing. Both of the sites you cite are in business only because some people will believe anything. Neither of them is in the business of providing advance notice of impending hardware releases. AFAIK, neither one of them has every correctly predicted anything before the actual product's public release. They are in the business of getting people to look at the advertising they are selling. It is, apparently, a good business model.

Somewhat... what they are good at is translating the Japanese release the day before because japan is on a different day format :)

5D4 |12mm 2.8 FE | 16-35L 2.8 III | Σ 35A | Σ 50A | Σ 85A | 200 F2 IS | 1.4xIII
X-T20 | X-E3 | 18/2 | 35/1.4 | 56/1.2 | 18-135
My Gear Archive

PineBomb
I have many notable flaws
Joined Apr 2014
Psych Ward, East Wing, USA
May 27, 2016 07:40 |  #6

I'm all for skepticism, but let's face facts. Sigma's current 85 is popular, it sells well, and will do even better once it can be packaged as an Art lens (whether it's the same optical formula or not). Once Signa has sold a sufficient number of the current units, are convinced there's a market for the Art, and have depleted current inventory, it seems inevitable to me. It's not as if it's some oddball focal length or range. In this case I find a CR3 to be credible.

-Matt
Website (external link) | flickr (external link) | instagram (external link) | street portrait project on instagram (external link)

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,123 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
May 27, 2016 07:46 |  #7

PineBomb wrote in post #18020636 (external link)
I'm all for skepticism, but let's face facts. Sigma's current 85 is popular, it sells well, and will do even better once it can be packaged as an Art lens (whether it's the same optical formula or not). Once Signa has sold a sufficient number of the current units, are convinced there's a market for the Art, and have depleted current inventory, it seems inevitable to me. It's not as if it's some oddball focal length or range. In this case I find a CR3 to be credible.

True. Me too. My current sigma is for sale. I will be an early adopter of the 1st wave of used 85 arts lol

My Gear Archive

Bassat
6,550 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
May 27, 2016 11:24 |  #8

PineBomb wrote in post #18020636 (external link)

Talley wrote in post #18020640 (external link)
True. Me too. My current sigma is for sale. I will be an early adopter of the 1st wave of used 85 arts lol

I agree with both of you; a Sigma 85mm f/1.x Art is inevitable.

My point is that the evidence for it actually coming is:

1.) One tweet, that doesn't even mention the 85A, from one store.
2.) Photo Rumor posts that tweet.
3.) Photo Rumor then cite's their own post of that tweet as 'evidence' of impending release.
4.) Canon Rumor then cites Photo Rumor's baseless posts and puts out its own proof (CR3) of impending release.

Just about everyone who has touched/owned a DSLR in the last few years 'knows' a Sigma 85mm f/1.x Art is coming. Anyone with any sense knows Sigma will sell down their inventory of the current 85mmm f/1.4 before releasing an updated model.

Neither Photo Rumor, nor Canon Rumor knows any more than that. AFAIK, neither of them has EVER accurately predicted anything before ACTUAL release. That is not what they do. What they actually do is deliver EYES to their advertisers. Nothing more. Money drives traffic. Headlines drive clicks. Actual information is irrelevant. Canon Rumor has been proving that for years. Much the same as Snapsort, and just about any form of modern media. WE ARE the product.

Tom

brian4646
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2011
Tennessee
May 27, 2016 12:40 as a reply to Bassat's post |  #9

I understand your posts. If this was originally posted in another section I would understand them more. This is the lens RUMOR section. What do you think rumors are?

Bassat
6,550 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
May 27, 2016 13:02 |  #10

brian4646 wrote in post #18020867 (external link)
I understand your posts. If this was originally posted in another section I would understand them more. This is the lens RUMOR section. What do you think rumors are?

Well put. I am not sure where to go with this, so I'll provide two answers. Please select one, and disregard the other.

1.) Very true. I will stop beating the obviously dead horse now.

2.) A completely meaningless waste of time. (Begs the question: why did I get so involved, then, doesn't it?) :)

Tom

Dlee13
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2012
Sydney
Jun 08, 2016 09:54 |  #11

Would people buy an 85mm f1.4 Art if it had the exact same optical formula as the EX version, just with dock compatibility and new Art physical design?

Canon 6D Mark II ~ Canon M5 ~ Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 ~ Canon EF 35mm f2 IS ~ Canon EF 17-40mm f4L ~ Canon EF 100mm f2.8L IS USM ~ Sigma 85mm f1.4
Blog (external link) | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link)

Copidosoma
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2009
Edmonton AB, Canada
Jun 09, 2016 09:37 |  #12

Dlee13 wrote in post #18033026 (external link)
Would people buy an 85mm f1.4 Art if it had the exact same optical formula as the EX version, just with dock compatibility and new Art physical design?

Personally, I wouldn't. The EX version is pretty well known to have pretty strong CA at wider aperture settings. Just having dock compatibility won't remove that issue. I'd fully expect better performance at f1.4 / 1.8 for the art version (similar to the rest of the series). If so, it will sell very well.

Gear: 7DII | 6D | Fuji X100s |Sigma 24A, 50A, 150-600C |24-105L |Samyang 14 2.8|Tamron 90mm f2.8 |and some other stuff
http://www.shutterstoc​k.com/g/copidosoma (external link)
https://500px.com/chri​s_kolaczan (external link)

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,123 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Jun 21, 2016 20:37 |  #13

Copidosoma wrote in post #18033994 (external link)
Personally, I wouldn't. The EX version is pretty well known to have pretty strong CA at wider aperture settings. Just having dock compatibility won't remove that issue. I'd fully expect better performance at f1.4 / 1.8 for the art version (similar to the rest of the series). If so, it will sell very well.

Mine handled CA better than my friends 85L II.

I suspect better IQ just the same as their 50mm move to the Art 50. I already sold my second Sigma 85 and now ready to pre-order the art :)

My Gear Archive

Dlee13
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2012
Sydney
Jun 21, 2016 22:13 |  #14

Talley wrote in post #18046359 (external link)
I already sold my second Sigma 85 and now ready to pre-order the art :)

Considering its all just rumors, what happens if It doesn't come out for another few years? lol

Canon 6D Mark II ~ Canon M5 ~ Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 ~ Canon EF 35mm f2 IS ~ Canon EF 17-40mm f4L ~ Canon EF 100mm f2.8L IS USM ~ Sigma 85mm f1.4
Blog (external link) | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link)

PineBomb
I have many notable flaws
Joined Apr 2014
Psych Ward, East Wing, USA
Jun 21, 2016 22:34 |  #15

Dlee13 wrote in post #18046452 (external link)
Considering its all just rumors, what happens if It doesn't come out for another few years? lol

In the event of a Sigma head fake, Talley can bide his time with the new Tamron.

-Matt
Website (external link) | flickr (external link) | instagram (external link) | street portrait project on instagram (external link)

sponsored links

5,336 views & 3 likes for this thread
Sigma 85mm f/1.4 Art lens to be announced soon
FORUMS News & Rumors Lens Rumors and Predictions

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.