Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 01 Jun 2016 (Wednesday) 13:22
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Selecting a Circular Polarizer filter - how important is brand name?

Perfectly ­ Frank
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
Jun 01, 2016 13:22 |  #1

I'm looking for a 82mm circular polarizer filter for my Canon 24-70 II lens.
B+W and Helioplan filters have a reputation for high quality. Prices range from $215 to over $300.

I didn't want to spend this much money, especially since I won't be using the filter too often.
Hoya offers the filter for $135, a price I like. Is there much quality difference between brands?

Btw, I want the filter to use at outdoor car shows, in bright sunlight, if that matters.

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

sponsored links
wunhang
647 posts
Joined Nov 2009
SoCal
Jun 01, 2016 14:02 |  #2

Brand name is important in terms of putting out quality. However, there are many brands that aren't as well-known and still put out quality filters. The latest one I've recently started hearing a lot about is Breakthrough Photography (external link). They started out as a Kickstarter by photographers who wanted to make quality filters for cheaper. I've heard nothing but praise about the ND filters they make over in the other big photography forums.

The brands that I've used and like are Marumi and B+W.

If you're familiar with Greentoe (external link), they also offer their services for buying a select number of filters. Could save a few bucks.

Canon 5D IV | Canon 5D II | XSI (Infrared modified) | SL1 | 16-35mm L f/4.0 IS | 24-70mm L f/2.8 II | 40mm f/2.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200mm L f/4.0 IS | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | C/Y 28mm f/2.8 | Tamron 35mm f/1.8 VC | C/Y 50mm f/1.7 | Zeiss 100mm MP
::SmugMug (external link)::

Tapeman
Sliced Bread
3,690 posts
Joined Jan 2004
Twin Cities
Jun 01, 2016 14:09 |  #3

Don't bother buying a cheap filter and putting it on a quality lens. Bite the bullet and spend enough to get a good one. A quality CP will last you for many years.

Canon G1X II, 1D MKIV, 5DSR, 5DIV, 5D MKII, 16-35/2.8L II, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L IS II, IS, 100-400/4.5-5.6 L IS II, 500/4 L IS II, 24-105/4 IS, 50/2.5 macro, 1.4x MKII, 1.4X MKIII, 2X MKIII,580EX II, 550EXs(2), ST-E2.
Gitzo 1228, 1275, 1558, Lensbaby 3G. Epson 3880, Bags that match my shoes.:)

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
13,499 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Jun 01, 2016 14:11 |  #4

I've used marumi with good success, hoya has been horrible for me (robs a ton of resolution). I got the marumi before the crazy prices... if buying now, I might look at something else, maybe haida

Sony A7r - A7ii - A7rii - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 35/2.8 - CV 35/1.7 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CY 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,056 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Jun 01, 2016 14:15 |  #5

Brands fall into categories. B&W, Hoya, Tiffen, Heliopan are top tier manufactures and you can pretty much rely on any of them. There are many others out there. Some are complete junk while others can be quite good.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Snydremark
Myth-informed
17,856 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Issaquah, WA USA
Jun 01, 2016 14:55 |  #6

wunhang wrote in post #18026077 (external link)
Brand name is important in terms of putting out quality. However, there are many brands that aren't as well-known and still put out quality filters. The latest one I've recently started hearing a lot about is Breakthrough Photography (external link). They started out as a Kickstarter by photographers who wanted to make quality filters for cheaper. I've heard nothing but praise about the ND filters they make over in the other big photography forums.

The brands that I've used and like are Marumi and B+W.

If you're familiar with Greentoe (external link), they also offer their services for buying a select number of filters. Could save a few bucks.

I'm one of the backers for the x4 from Breakthrough; it is, easily, up the same level of quality as the B+Ws are. I've used B+W Kaesemann's for years and have switched to the x4 as my primary; mainly due to the handling. The image quality between the two is close enough to be identical but the ring for dialing the filter in is much easier to hold/manipulate than my latest B+W Nano. Although, I wouldn't say "cheaper"; they're right on par with what you'll pay for a good B+W.

I've used other filters from Marumi but not their CPL; however, based on that and the general opinion on that filter around here, I wouldn't hesitate to pick one of theirs up, either.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

Nethawked
Joined Oct 2014
Virginia, USA
Jun 01, 2016 15:44 |  #7

I agree, go for quality glass on a quality lens if you need it. B+W MRC is always my first choice, and if I must double up with the same size and type filter Marumi DHG is a great filter.

I'm not sure where you're shopping, but even B&H has 82mm CPL for way less than you're quoting.

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
Jun 02, 2016 14:09 |  #8

wunhang wrote in post #18026077 (external link)
The latest one I've recently started hearing a lot about is Breakthrough Photography (external link). They started out as a Kickstarter by photographers who wanted to make quality filters for cheaper. I've heard nothing but praise about the ND filters they make over in the other big photography forums.

Thanks, I visited their site and I like what I see. Impressive. As a bonus the filter (or part of it) is made in the USA.
This filter I'll strongly consider. Thanks for sharing.

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
Jun 02, 2016 14:14 |  #9

Nethawked wrote in post #18026172 (external link)
I agree, go for quality glass on a quality lens if you need it. B+W MRC is always my first choice, and if I must double up with the same size and type filter Marumi DHG is a great filter.

I'm not sure where you're shopping, but even B&H has 82mm CPL for way less than you're quoting.

Right about B+W. I have their UV and ND filter and they are excellent.

I was checking prices from my local camera store. They offer the B+W for $215. At BHP the same filter is $130. A difference of $85.
I like to support my local camera store, but not at their insane price.

Snydremark
Myth-informed
17,856 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Issaquah, WA USA
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by Snydremark.
Jun 02, 2016 14:16 |  #10

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #18027032 (external link)
Thanks, I visited their site and I like what I see. Impressive. As a bonus the filter (or part of it) is made in the USA.
This filter I'll strongly consider. Thanks for sharing.

Here's a quick and dirty comparison I did between my x4 and my B+W Kaeseman Nano: https://www.flickr.com .../albums/72157664872​922711 (external link)

Metered in M for the bare lens shot and then exposures adjusted to match metering for the subsequent shots w/ CPLs mounted. x4 appears to have *very* slightly better light transmission and a bit less magenta/green tinting than the B+W, but both differences I would consider marginal. Both filters notably flatten out the image when mounted, which I find interesting.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Jun 02, 2016 14:55 |  #11

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #18026039 (external link)
I'm looking for a 82mm circular polarizer filter for my Canon 24-70 II lens.
B+W and Helioplan filters have a reputation for high quality. Prices range from $215 to over $300.

I didn't want to spend this much money, especially since I won't be using the filter too often.
Hoya offers the filter for $135, a price I like. Is there much quality difference between brands?

Btw, I want the filter to use at outdoor car shows, in bright sunlight, if that matters.

Heya,

Look into a Marumi DHG. It measures better than B&W. It's built well too.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,687 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
Jun 02, 2016 18:36 |  #12

I use the Formatt Hitech Firecrest Cpl on my 24-70 F2.8 V2. Very pleased with it but it is not cheap.
I guess it would be $150+shipping in your area, for me it's just a 40 minute drive to the factory!
I find the colour rendition very good and there is minimal (if any) effect on sharpness.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

sponsored links

1,460 views & 6 likes for this thread
Selecting a Circular Polarizer filter - how important is brand name?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.