Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Performing Arts Talk
Thread started 16 Jun 2016 (Thursday) 10:44
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Matisyahu rights grab

Nethawked
Joined Oct 2014
Virginia, USA
Jun 16, 2016 10:44 |  #1

I just had to :lol: Their media guy tried to explain to me how the business of photography worked, it's all about the performer, apparently. He wasn't able to answer the question "what's in it for me?".

I can't believe people agree to these ridiculous contracts. This business is doomed.

THE PARTIES AGREE AS FOLLOWS:
1. The Photographer/Videograp​her hereby shall assigns, transfers and delivers to Artist, its successors and assigns, certain heretofore unpublished original photographs/video inc. digital files and/or negatives, (hereinafter called the "Photos"or “VIDEO”) including all copyrights thereof including without limitations all rights, claims, and demands in any way relating thereto whether now known or hereafter to become known and the exclusive right to secure copyright in the Photos/ Video throughout the entire world; and the exclusive right to hold the said copyright and all rights of whatsoever nature now and hereafter existing under any agreements or licenses relating thereto, for and during the full terms of all said copyrights. In further consideration of this agreement herein contained, Photographer hereby assigns, transfers and delivers to Artist, its successors and assigns, all renewals and extensions of the copyrights of the Photos/Video to which Photographer may be now or hereafter entitled, and all registrations thereof, and all rights of any and every nature now and hereafter hereunder existing, for the full terms of all such renewals and extensions of copyrights in The UNITED STATES and every other country of the world. However Photographer will be credited at all times with a photographer’s credit in connection with any of the photos or video delivered hereunder (provided any inadvertent, non-systematic failure to do so shall not be deemed a material breach of this agreement). Photographer shall obtain Artist’s written consent prior to making any personal, non-commercial use of Photos/ Videos, such consent not to be unreasonably withheld.

5. The Photographer shall not modify, distribute, display, broadcast, or use in any manner whatsoever the Photos without the prior written consent of the Artist. The foregoing notwithstanding, Photographer shall have the right to use any previously approved Photo for his/her professional portfolio, including online, on digital media.

sponsored links
Nethawked
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2014
Virginia, USA
Jun 16, 2016 10:56 |  #2

Note: I don't blame the artist. I'm a big fan and have a lot of respect for him. It's the industry itself, and the fact that too many give in and give their time and work away for free - and that it's the new norm - that upsets me.

ThreeHounds
Joined Mar 2014
Delray Beach, Fl USA
Jun 16, 2016 15:37 as a reply to Nethawked's post |  #3

:eek:

5D MkIII | 7D | Bronica ETRS
24-105 f/4 L | 17-40 f/4 L | 70-300 f/4 L | 105 f/3.5 Zenzanon | Tamron SP90 f/2.8 Di Macro VC USM
flickr (external link)

gmm213
I know some really nice clowns
781 posts
Joined Apr 2013
Portsmouth Va
Jun 16, 2016 22:44 |  #4

I think a lot of these artists (a lot, not all) dont actually know that this is in contracts. Its more managers, record companies etc that limit photographers rights. Rather you like him or not Jared Polin is good friends with, toured with and shot for Matisyahu on more than one occasion and it seems like Matisyahu a really cool down to earth guy.

500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
Mayhem # 3789333 (external link)

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
Joined May 2012
Riverside,California
Jun 16, 2016 22:50 |  #5

Just sign a different name, i've never signed one of those with my actual name. I usually just put "big bird" or something else random.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

Nethawked
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2014
Virginia, USA
Jun 17, 2016 12:42 |  #6

I was told the intent of the contract was to protect the artist, by giving him/her control when, where and what is posted for public consumption. So, I'll leave this one to be covered by the iPhones in the crowd. Good luck with that, I want no part in it.

Nethawked
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2014
Virginia, USA
Jun 17, 2016 21:20 |  #7

maverick75 wrote in post #18041852 (external link)
Just sign a different name, i've never signed one of those with my actual name. I usually just put "big bird" or something else random.

Hah! I'll have to remember this.

Nethawked
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2014
Virginia, USA
Jun 17, 2016 23:55 |  #8

gmm213 wrote in post #18041839 (external link)
I think a lot of these artists (a lot, not all) dont actually know that this is in contracts. Its more managers, record companies etc that limit photographers rights. Rather you like him or not Jared Polin is good friends with, toured with and shot for Matisyahu on more than one occasion and it seems like Matisyahu a really cool down to earth guy.

I sincerely believe many mangers don't know what's in the contracts, they've just taken whatever template is given them.

Yeah, I'll bet he is. Just another dude from PA with a good story to tell, and he tells it well. I've been a fan for a long time.

vfotog
167 posts
Joined Jan 2011
Oct 16, 2016 11:28 |  #9

just found this thread; I know it's a little old. The release shocks me. I don't ever give up my rights, so I would never sign this. Giving up your rights isn't protecting the artist; it's all about money. I'm really surprised this is from Matisyahu. I've met Matthew and shot him several times, even shot FOR him and never had to sign a thing. It's been awhile but I hate to hear he's gone down this route.

Nethawked
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2014
Virginia, USA
Oct 17, 2016 09:04 |  #10

vfotog wrote in post #18158324 (external link)
just found this thread; I know it's a little old. The release shocks me. I don't ever give up my rights, so I would never sign this. Giving up your rights isn't protecting the artist; it's all about money. I'm really surprised this is from Matisyahu. I've met Matthew and shot him several times, even shot FOR him and never had to sign a thing. It's been awhile but I hate to hear he's gone down this route.

It's not Matthew. It's the fruitcake media manager they now have in place.

Derptography
85 posts
Joined May 2016
Oct 18, 2016 15:24 |  #11

Maybe I'm missing something, but it doesn't seem like the end of the world. If I get paid enough, you can have whatever you want.

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Oct 18, 2016 15:31 |  #12

FRO (Jared) has shot him a LOT. Did he sign on for this crap?

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - 18-55 - 35 f2 WR - 50-140 - 6D - 135L - 70-200 f4L IS - 600EX-RT x2 - ST-E3-RT - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

Derptography
85 posts
Joined May 2016
Oct 18, 2016 15:32 |  #13

FarmerTed1971 wrote in post #18160436 (external link)
FRO (Jared) has shot him a LOT. Did he sign on for this crap?

That guy is profoundly annoying.

I don't know if his photos suck, or I just hate him so very much I'm simply biased.

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Oct 18, 2016 16:30 |  #14

To each his own... I don't think he's the greatest photographer either but he is excellent at marketing and I enjoy his show in small amounts.

But... he has shot Matis a LOT. So back to the subject...

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - 18-55 - 35 f2 WR - 50-140 - 6D - 135L - 70-200 f4L IS - 600EX-RT x2 - ST-E3-RT - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Oct 23, 2016 22:42 |  #15

Nethawked wrote in post #18042399 (external link)
I was told the intent of the contract was to protect the artist, by giving him/her control when, where and what is posted for public consumption. So, I'll leave this one to be covered by the iPhones in the crowd. Good luck with that, I want no part in it.

and of course all the people recording it on their iphone wont be signing contracts and will be uploading crap images to their hearts content.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

sponsored links

5,676 views & 9 likes for this thread
Matisyahu rights grab
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Performing Arts Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.