Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Pets Talk
Thread started 17 Jun 2016 (Friday) 21:09
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Shooting dog portrait with ribbons and etc.

Stregone
Joined Apr 2008
VA, USA
Jun 17, 2016 21:09 |  #1

Anyone have any advice for shooting a dog portrait with a ton of ribbons and awards and etc? My friend's dog is retired from agility at 13 years old and this dog has a crap ton of ribbons and whatnot from competing in agilty, the show ring, and I think he did some herding and other stuff when he was younger too. At this year's Belgian Malinois national specialty he was inducted into the breed club's hall of fame. I'd love to make a portrait for her with his whole lifetime of awards on display.

Here's the old man:

IMAGE: https://c7.staticflickr.com/8/7735/27412546086_3ccb3b7930_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/HLms​UW] (external link)Wizzie (external link) by Michael Appleman (external link), on Flickr

flickr (external link)
500px (external link)
[Youpic] (external link)

LHeyden
Joined Feb 2011
Merrill, Oregon
Jul 03, 2016 15:07 |  #2

Find a nice field with a fence that has enough space to hang the ribbons on the fence. Check your background and shoot away!

Laura Heyden
http://windyridgegolde​ns.com/ (external link)
7D, 5Dc Canon's 70-200mm f/2.8L, 24-105 f/4L, Tamron 150-600 mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD , 55-250mm IS, 28-135mm IS, 100 2.8 Macro, 85mm 1.8, 50mm 1.8, and Tamron's 17-35 2.8-4

Zehnn
Joined Jul 2013
Jul 26, 2016 14:33 as a reply to LHeyden's post |  #3

I really like this idea because of how nicely you could organize the awards.

Oooor, if you wanted to be comedic, you could hang them on the inside of the kennel as though the dog is hanging out in their own trophy room.

Canon EOS 600D / EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5 | Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro (1990 version), EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM |

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
7,588 posts
Joined Nov 2005
San Diego County, California, USA
Oct 17, 2016 12:09 |  #4

IMO, how the ribbons and awards are displayed would depend on the size of the dog you are featuring. Smaller dogs such as I usually work with can have their awards pinned to the the background material. I will use fleece for the BG which works quite well. Two or three yards of fleece can be fine for the small dog.

The easy thing about shooting small dogs with award ribbons/medals is that the ribbons/medals will be relatively large in comparison to the size of the dog. Of course, you will not have a choice in which size dog to shoot!

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

1,589 views & 0 likes for this thread
Shooting dog portrait with ribbons and etc.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Pets Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.