Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News
Thread started 22 Jun 2016 (Wednesday) 11:40
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Hasselblad Medium Format Mirrorless X1D

benji25
Joined Jan 2010
Twin Cities
Jun 22, 2016 11:40 |  #1

http://www.hasselblad.​com/x-system/x1d-50c (external link)

Do want!

Websiteexternal link
flickrexternal link

sponsored links
Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
13,830 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Jun 22, 2016 18:00 |  #2

+1 add me to the list

would want a lot more if it could adapt all MF glass.

Sony A7rii/A7riii - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - CV 35/1.7 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4 - Tamron 28-75 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 VC

Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Jun 22, 2016 18:03 |  #3

Meh-rrorless.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

pigpile34
Joined Oct 2015
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by pigpile34.
Jun 22, 2016 19:39 |  #4

Really looking forward to the reviews out on this, and the inevitable competition with Fuji.

benji25
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2010
Twin Cities
Jun 22, 2016 21:02 |  #5

pigpile34 wrote in post #18047376 (external link)
Really looking forward to the reviews out on this, and the inevitable competition with Fuji.

Honestly would consider selling all of my canon gear for this, keeping the fuji stuff and this. I like my xt1 a lot.

Websiteexternal link
flickrexternal link

Motor ­ On
940 posts
Joined Feb 2007
Jun 22, 2016 21:27 |  #6

benji25 wrote in post #18047432 (external link)
Honestly would consider selling all of my canon gear for this, keeping the fuji stuff and this. I like my xt1 a lot.

Fuji has been doing some medium format R&D. Dropping hints at interviews for the last ~1.5-2 years and confirming it openly in January, so I'm sort of expecting something coming from them in the not too distant future.

A Medium Format X-trans type sensor could be really interesting, made to compete with this use old and new glass and come in sub $8k. Pure fiction but the technology has been getting better and headed in the right direction. I'd probably sell my mirrorless stuff Fuji stuff and Canon Full frame to go Medium format then pick up an X100 for when I need something small and keep Canon APS-C gear for the sports/birds/action stuff.

Anyway looking forward to seeing the samples out of this as it hits more widespread use in August. I think there's going to be huge demand for a Medium format camera in this general size and form factor so I'm really excited to see how this does in the marketplace as well, $5k seemed to be about the breaking point where Full Frame DSLRs started to really take off; this is flirting with that.

Websiteexternal link | Facebookexternal link | Instagramexternal link

Charlie
13,830 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Jun 22, 2016 21:44 |  #7

Motor On wrote in post #18047447 (external link)
Fuji has been doing some medium format R&D. Dropping hints at interviews for the last ~1.5-2 years and confirming it openly in January, so I'm sort of expecting something coming from them in the not too distant future.

A Medium Format X-trans type sensor could be really interesting, made to compete with this use old and new glass and come in sub $8k. Pure fiction but the technology has been getting better and headed in the right direction. I'd probably sell my mirrorless stuff Fuji stuff and Canon Full frame to go Medium format then pick up an X100 for when I need something small and keep Canon APS-C gear for the sports/birds/action stuff.

Anyway looking forward to seeing the samples out of this as it hits more widespread use in August. I think there's going to be huge demand for a Medium format camera in this general size and form factor so I'm really excited to see how this does in the marketplace as well, $5k seemed to be about the breaking point where Full Frame DSLRs started to really take off; this is flirting with that.

I'm thinking it has to be priced lower.

Choice based on name alone:

Hasselblad vs Fuji...............

everyone knows hassy for MF, fuji what/who?

Sony A7rii/A7riii - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - CV 35/1.7 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4 - Tamron 28-75 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 VC

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Jun 22, 2016 22:28 |  #8

Charlie wrote in post #18047307 (external link)
would want a lot more if it could adapt all MF glass.

looks like it only adapts to H system lenses? Seems like kind of a terrible decision if true ... although i would think adapters could be made with time.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
Joined May 2012
Riverside,California
Jun 22, 2016 22:32 |  #9

43.8 × 32.9mm seams tiny, but then again I shoot 6x7 and 6x9 on the regular.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

Charlie
13,830 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Jun 23, 2016 00:01 |  #10

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18047488 (external link)
looks like it only adapts to H system lenses? Seems like kind of a terrible decision if true ... although i would think adapters could be made with time.

yeah, kinda screws up the whole "game changer" they've proclaimed. A 54 x 44mm sensor they have in their "full frame" MF, mirrorless, supporting both leaf and non leaf lenses...... THAT would be a real game changer. Considering that the sensor difference from APS-C to 35mm is actually BIGGER than 35mm to mini MF, along with many compromises of MF bodies, makes it a big diminishing returns catch IMO. I would love to have it for sure, just not DYING to have it.

maverick75 wrote in post #18047490 (external link)
43.8 × 32.9mm seams tiny, but then again I shoot 6x7 and 6x9 on the regular.

getting full size MF digital sensors simply isnt happening anytime soon. I would love a 6x7 digital for 10K

markd61
58 posts
Joined Apr 2011
Jun 23, 2016 19:55 as a reply to Left Handed Brisket's post |  #11

Actually I think it was a very smart move on their part.

Leaf shutter lenses have a lot of advantages, chief among them the ability to sync flash at all speeds.
THAT is enormously important to pros and other users of flash for the ability to utilize the full power of their flashes in bright conditions without resorting to ND filters or HSS or Hypersync.

Another advantage for Hasselblad is the fact that they can control the lens market to a degree that cannot be done with a FP shutter. Hasselblad has announced two lenses that cover a lot of bases for the pro and amateur at prices, though high, are actually very reasonable for the low production world of MF lenses.
Their job is to ensure a good supply of lenses in the future that make the platform valuable.

Remember when Sony introduced the A7 line with a single 55 mm f1.8 lens? It was a superb lens but left the body wanting for more. As a consequence thousands of people view the A7x line as a platform for any lens they want thus depriving Sony of revenue that could be used to expand the line. I know several Canon shooters who have no intention of buying Sony lenses for their A7RIIs and revel in using their adapted Canon lenses with full AF.

The X1D is a new breed of cat for the MF world and it remains to be seen how new users will implement it in their work. For me, with the existing lenses, it would handle about 80% of my work. If they offer some UWA lenses or even a TS lens then it can cover my architectural work also. In all cases the leaf shutter would be a giant help.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Jun 23, 2016 20:02 |  #12

This seems really interesting. I'm one of those "wants a medium format" people who can't afford it. I also know that in many ways, some modern full frame offerings are so close now that it's sort of not a big deal now (like Sony's latest). But I just really like the idea of medium format mirrorless body, that is slim and small for the format, you could walk around with this and enjoy it and not feel like you're carrying a 90's video camera with a big cassette tape inside. And I absolutely like the idea of the shutter and how it syncs, that is awesome, as I do a lot of lighting work in the sun with my strobes. Plus I just like the look of the large sensor in terms of how depth of field looks with things like even 70~100mm lenses with apertures around F2.8 or F4 even. Just interesting for portrait and general shooting.

I want.

But I'll wait 10 years when it's maybe $1k and affordable for me... :D

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link) :: Canon 17-40L For Sale! $380!

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,547 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Bay Area, CA
Jun 23, 2016 20:27 |  #13

I am hoping Fuji announces something this yr and please keep it like $5k and lens with leaf shutters like $1500-$2000. Would be good even if for nothing besides "mine is bigger than yours". :)

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

idkdc
Goldmember
2,799 posts
Joined Oct 2014
Jun 23, 2016 23:10 |  #14

markd61 wrote in post #18048369 (external link)
Actually I think it was a very smart move on their part.

Leaf shutter lenses have a lot of advantages, chief among them the ability to sync flash at all speeds.
THAT is enormously important to pros and other users of flash for the ability to utilize the full power of their flashes in bright conditions without resorting to ND filters or HSS or Hypersync.

The X1D is a new breed of cat for the MF world and it remains to be seen how new users will implement it in their work. For me, with the existing lenses, it would handle about 80% of my work. If they offer some UWA lenses or even a TS lens then it can cover my architectural work also. In all cases the leaf shutter would be a giant help.

I'm actually quite interested in this camera, more so than with the Sony A7 cameras, specifically because of the leaf shutter. I think the price is quite fair. A UWA and TS would make this an architecture and landscape dream.

1DIII through 1DXII(2) | 5D2-4 | 5DS | 8-800mm
XT2 | 16-140mm

idkdc
Goldmember
2,799 posts
Joined Oct 2014
Jun 23, 2016 23:11 |  #15

MalVeauX wrote in post #18048375 (external link)
This seems really interesting. I'm one of those "wants a medium format" people who can't afford it. I also know that in many ways, some modern full frame offerings are so close now that it's sort of not a big deal now (like Sony's latest). But I just really like the idea of medium format mirrorless body, that is slim and small for the format, you could walk around with this and enjoy it and not feel like you're carrying a 90's video camera with a big cassette tape inside. And I absolutely like the idea of the shutter and how it syncs, that is awesome, as I do a lot of lighting work in the sun with my strobes. Plus I just like the look of the large sensor in terms of how depth of field looks with things like even 70~100mm lenses with apertures around F2.8 or F4 even. Just interesting for portrait and general shooting.

I want.

But I'll wait 10 years when it's maybe $1k and affordable for me... :D

Very best,

Does sensor size ever get that much cheaper?

1DIII through 1DXII(2) | 5D2-4 | 5DS | 8-800mm
XT2 | 16-140mm

sponsored links

5,362 views & 11 likes for this thread
Hasselblad Medium Format Mirrorless X1D
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.