Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife
Thread started 27 Jun 2016 (Monday) 15:08
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

I lost a good friend today

Wallace ­ River
" ...a bit of a pervy voyeur "
Joined Jul 2010
Wallace, Nova Scotia
Jun 27, 2016 15:08 |  #1

I hope you don't think this is silly. What I had come to know as "Mom" red fox, a loving, gentle, caring wild animal over the past few years, died today. She was hit by a car while carrying food back to her den for the kits she has been raising. Here is where it gets a bit more complicated, "Mom" was actually "Dad". This loving, caring, nurturing animal was a male, which we just learned this summer through observation. We always thought it was a female, he was so gentle and loving with the kits, and at the same time such a good provider.

So this is actually a tribute to a fox. I'm going to miss this wild animal. He was always fun and interesting to visit. He was so good with his family. He would stare off into the distance, presumably looking to see where his mate was, when he was near the den. He always kept an eye on the kids. If there was a tussle, he'd intervene. It'll be up to his mate now to finish raising this family. Some of them are starting to hunt and roam a bit from the den, and they are not street wise yet. I have told local folks on Facebook that if they see some little foxes on the edges of the road, please slow down, and be mindful that they are young and don't know the ways of the world yet.

These pictures are just a few of my collection, but they show "Mom", as I knew him for so long, as a very special animal. I have to stop typing now. I'll likely be breaking a few rules by posting this way, adding 2 pics at a time, but I hope it's OK.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

IAN - Living life on the shores of the Wallace River in northern Nova Scotia, Canada :
Canon 1D4, 1D-X, almost enough glass.
My Flickr (external link). http://ianmurray.zenfo​lio.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
Wallace ­ River
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2010
Wallace, Nova Scotia
Jun 27, 2016 15:09 |  #2

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

IAN - Living life on the shores of the Wallace River in northern Nova Scotia, Canada :

Wallace ­ River
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2010
Wallace, Nova Scotia
Jun 27, 2016 15:11 |  #3

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
Joined Aug 2012
Minden, Ontario, Canada
Jun 27, 2016 15:48 |  #4

Man Ian,...It is the same fight here. It infuriate's me to no end. Even in our provincial park's it is rampant. Some of the foxes I have shot over the year's and posted here including Kits are all dead because we as canadian's do nothing to inform and or sign an area that these animal's frequent. Its only for a short time every year and we cant slow down even in area's that people are camping and trying to have a quiet holiday retreat. I can tell you all the kits I shot two year's ago were dead on the road before they were 5 month's old. I know some will say part of life, but I think as the smartest thing on the planet we can do better.

Jeff ........7D Mark II, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Jun 27, 2016 16:14 |  #5

great photos, and sorry you lost a wild friend.

I was just having a discussion on another board about pesticide use to curb mosquitos around the home. This is becoming ridiculously prevalent here in the states and people don't realize that these pesticides are indiscriminate in their killing of insects. The mere mention of less toxic methods put me in a clear minority and quickly labeled me as nuts for even considering such a thing.

not sure why people cannot see what kind of impact we have and how we can often easily reduce it.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,224 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Mar 2001
Hellsinki, Finland
Jun 27, 2016 16:20 |  #6

Sorry about the loss, and yes, drivers should be really careful. I hope the kits will be fine and safe.

Beautiful photos.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 1.4 Changelog (installed here now)

Snydremark
Myth-informed
17,855 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Issaquah, WA USA
Jun 27, 2016 16:43 |  #7

Mr Mom, to you, sir! :D Great tribute, but a sad story, Ian. Wonderful pictures, as always.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

Snydremark
Myth-informed
17,855 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Issaquah, WA USA
Jun 27, 2016 16:46 |  #8

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18051586 (external link)

I was just having a discussion on another board about pesticide use to curb mosquitos around the home. This is becoming ridiculously prevalent here in the states and people don't realize that these pesticides are indiscriminate in their killing of insects. The mere mention of less toxic methods put me in a clear minority and quickly labeled me as nuts for even considering such a thing.

not sure why people cannot see what kind of impact we have and how we can often easily reduce it.

Also, something easily abated by changing habits rather than adding chemicals. Not letting standing water build up in trash cans, lids, etc can have a huge decrease in the number of mosquitoes and similar insects. I've also started using a mixture of vinegar and salt for weed control in areas where I don't want things growing back, ever; particularly on our parking pads, in the cracks of the sidewalk, etc.

So, you're not alone out there :)

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

I'm ­ Sasquatch
Joined Sep 2008
Northern California
Jun 27, 2016 17:04 |  #9

Definitely sad. I have enjoyed following your work with these 'guys'.

Have a wheelie nice day!

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,327 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Jun 27, 2016 17:59 |  #10

I am so sad for your, and the kits, loss. I live on Indiana farmland and feed strays/wilds all the time. Some of them are regulars. Ours get hit from time to time, too. I've cried for lots of my 'friends'. I shed a special tear for your and yours. Thanks for the beautiful pictures and the story.

Tom

Wallace ­ River
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2010
Wallace, Nova Scotia
Jun 27, 2016 18:05 |  #11

Pondrader wrote in post #18051570 (external link)
Man Ian,...It is the same fight here. It infuriate's me to no end. Even in our provincial park's it is rampant. Some of the foxes I have shot over the year's and posted here including Kits are all dead because we as canadian's do nothing to inform and or sign an area that these animal's frequent. Its only for a short time every year and we cant slow down even in area's that people are camping and trying to have a quiet holiday retreat. I can tell you all the kits I shot two year's ago were dead on the road before they were 5 month's old. I know some will say part of life, but I think as the smartest thing on the planet we can do better.

And Jeff, the sad thing is that they live on a dirt back road to npwehere, with absolutely no reason to speed, although many do. It was along this same road in about the spot he was hit that I first saw him this past spring with a mouthful of mice. He knew me instantly from the prior year and stopped to say hello.

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18051586 (external link)
I was just having a discussion on another board about pesticide use to curb mosquitos around the home. This is becoming ridiculously prevalent here in the states and people don't realize that these pesticides are indiscriminate in their killing of insects. The mere mention of less toxic methods put me in a clear minority and quickly labeled me as nuts for even considering such a thing.not sure why people cannot see what kind of impact we have and how we can often easily reduce it.

Thanks for the kind comments, and well said.

Pekka wrote in post #18051592 (external link)
Sorry about the loss, and yes, drivers should be really careful. I hope the kits will be fine and safe.
Beautiful photos.

Thanks Pekka. My eyes are still leaking.

Snydremark wrote in post #18051612 (external link)
Mr Mom, to you, sir! :D Great tribute, but a sad story, Ian. Wonderful pictures, as always.

Snydremark wrote in post #18051616 (external link)
Also, something easily abated by changing habits rather than adding chemicals. Not letting standing water build up in trash cans, lids, etc can have a huge decrease in the number of mosquitoes and similar insects. I've also started using a mixture of vinegar and salt for weed control in areas where I don't want things growing back, ever; particularly on our parking pads, in the cracks of the sidewalk, etc. So, you're not alone out there :)

Thanks so much Eric, and I totally agree.

Im Sasquatch wrote in post #18051635 (external link)
Definitely sad. I have enjoyed following your work with these 'guys'.

Thanks, you're kind to comment. We're hoping the Mom has enough in her to support the babies now, whe has a very serious wound in her side, possibly from a fight with a coyote. I hope she's got the strength to hang in there and feed them all until they can survive on their own.

Wallace ­ River
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2010
Wallace, Nova Scotia
Jun 27, 2016 18:07 |  #12

Bassat wrote in post #18051677 (external link)
I am so sad for your, and the kits, loss. I live on Indiana farmland and feed strays/wilds all the time. Some of them are regulars. Ours get hit from time to time, too. I've cried for lots of my 'friends'. I shed a special tear for your and yours. Thanks for the beautiful pictures and the story.

Thanks Tom. It's tough to deal with such unexpected and unnecessary losses, even amongst our wild friends and neighbours.

Mel-S
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2012
Eastern Idaho
Jun 27, 2016 18:34 |  #13

Sorry to hear about your loss. My youngest son was just here for a visit just last week. We fished until late in the evening for several days and I think he wondered why I was driving home so slow those evenings. One night I stopped as a herd of 8 cow elk and 8 calves crossed in front of us. The rest of the 20 mile ride home saw me avoid collisions with 6 different deer. His "cityfied" eyes quickly tuned back to "countryfied". I wish other folks did that too.

80D, 70D, Sigma 18-35 f1.8 DC HSM ART, 24-70 f2.8L, 100-400 f 4.5-5.6L, Sigma 150-600 f5-6.3 DG OS HSM C, TC 1.4x III, 430 EX II, Induro AM24 w/3Pod H1, CT214 w/PHQ-1, and several cold beers.

Wallace ­ River
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2010
Wallace, Nova Scotia
Jun 27, 2016 18:50 as a reply to Mel-S's post |  #14

For sure Mel. Thanks for the thoughts.

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
Joined Aug 2012
Minden, Ontario, Canada
Jun 27, 2016 18:55 as a reply to Mel-S's post |  #15

I hear ya Mel

Jeff ........7D Mark II, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

3,613 views & 30 likes for this thread
I lost a good friend today
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.