Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Fashion, Editorial & Commercial
Thread started 28 Jun 2016 (Tuesday) 06:56
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Lady at the Waterfall

Van ­ Gogh
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2013
Toronto, Canada
Aug 19, 2016 16:46 |  #16

lenscap1 wrote in post #18099833 (external link)
Photoshop effects are outdated looking my friend. Also what made you decide to place her behind a log that crops her feet/legs awkwardly in every shot?

Dude there is 0 Photoshop involved here.
All captured in camera.

Camera - 2x5Dmk3, C100 mkii, 70D, 60D
Lenses - 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS ii, 85mm f1.2L II, 35mm f1.4 ART, 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS
Lighting - 3 x 600EX RT's, Printer - Epson 3880
Website - http://www.shotlifestu​dio.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
Deiseman
Joined Mar 2012
Ireland
Aug 19, 2016 16:53 |  #17

I find the logs are a distraction in the images but some nice shots and ideas.

lenscap1
35 posts
Joined Oct 2014
Aug 19, 2016 18:09 |  #18

Van Gogh wrote in post #18100266 (external link)
Dude there is 0 Photoshop involved here.
All captured in camera.

So you didn't blend images/layers in Photoshop, the water was just floating infront of the model?! Lol

Sorry man, i know how you did it and it's kinda outdated imo

98kellrs
Joined Oct 2012
Perth, Australia
Aug 19, 2016 19:23 |  #19

lenscap1 wrote in post #18100324 (external link)
So you didn't blend images/layers in Photoshop, the water was just floating infront of the model?! Lol

Look at the perspective, the water is in front of the log at her feet, she is behind it. I couldn't say whether he composited the image, but it's 100% possible to do all of that in-camera.

Also, you are not offering constructive criticism, merely flinging insults which is not in the spirit of the forum.

Ryan
Nikon D800
Fujifilm X-T1
RSK Photography Facebook - Automotive Photography page (external link)
Website (external link)

Van ­ Gogh
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2013
Toronto, Canada
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by Van Gogh. 3 edits done in total.
Aug 19, 2016 19:30 |  #20

No, no blending of images in Photoshop.
Just throw water in front of her and I get that look by back-lighting the water.
It is a technique I use quite often, with water and flour.
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=YKnesqcXV0Y (external link)

As far as Photoshop, even if it was Photoshoped (which it was not) I see no issue with that, I am very big into Photoshop ;-)a
P.S. I have the RAW files that I can send you to prove it... But I won't bother ;-)a

Lenses - 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS ii, 85mm f1.2L II, 35mm f1.4 ART, 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS

lenscap1
35 posts
Joined Oct 2014
Aug 19, 2016 22:44 |  #21

lenscap1 wrote in post #18099833 (external link)
Photoshop effects are outdated looking my friend. Also what made you decide to place her behind a log that crops her feet/legs awkwardly in every shot?

Van Gogh wrote in post #18100382 (external link)
No, no blending of images in Photoshop.
Just throw water in front of her and I get that look by back-lighting the water.
It is a technique I use quite often, with water and flour.
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=YKnesqcXV0Y (external link)

As far as Photoshop, even if it was Photoshoped (which it was not) I see no issue with that, I am very big into Photoshop ;-)a
P.S. I have the RAW files that I can send you to prove it... But I won't bother ;-)a

Not that it really matters but I'd love to see the RAW files showing that this was all captured in a single frame with no photoshop! I can literally see the layer blend.

Either way doesn't matter. Just saying it's an outdated look imo. That is my CC, take it or leave it.

Van ­ Gogh
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2013
Toronto, Canada
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by Van Gogh. 2 edits done in total.
Aug 19, 2016 23:00 |  #22

lenscap1 wrote in post #18100467 (external link)
Not that it really matters but I'd love to see the RAW files showing that this was all captured in a single frame with no photoshop! I can literally see the layer blend.

Either way doesn't matter. Just saying it's an outdated look imo. That is my CC, take it or leave it.

Here is the link to the RAW file proving that is was all captured in Camera in a single frame.
You can even see the 2 back-light flashes behind her as I said about the technique. Enjoy!
https://1drv.ms ...V7sobbcgm9Wvil9lcmq​UpI8se (external link)

As far the outdated look or not, well, that's a subjective matter and just your opinion.

lenscap1
35 posts
Joined Oct 2014
Aug 19, 2016 23:29 |  #23

Van Gogh wrote in post #18058932 (external link)
compositing and combining 2 pictures in Photoshop. Best of both worlds, I get smoky waterfall yet a sharp subject.

Not trying to bust your chops but... Just saw this otherwise I wouldn't have even called it out.

Van ­ Gogh
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2013
Toronto, Canada
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by Van Gogh. 3 edits done in total.
Aug 20, 2016 07:32 |  #24

lenscap1 wrote in post #18100496 (external link)

Not trying to bust your chops but... Just saw this otherwise I wouldn't have even called it out.

As if there is something wrong with compositing 2 images???
I wouldn't really call compositing 2 images in Photoshop "Photoshoping" in the traditional sense that most people see it. With that same token you could say even adjusting the brightness slightly is photoshoping.

Besides, I believed that you were not talking talking about the water around the model rather than waterfall when saying it was photoshoped as per your comment above?
And as shown in RAW file, that is not the case. Only the 1st 2 images are composites and they are the ones with no water around her, all the other images with water around her you claimed are photoshoped are straight our of camera. (as shown in RAW file I sent you).

Ballen ­ Photo
19,462 posts
Joined Nov 2003
Southern Nevada and Idaho
Sep 03, 2016 09:28 |  #25

As mentioned, a very nice set.

Van Gogh wrote in post #18058932 (external link)
- I get the cool water effect on her by placing 2 background lights (for back-lighting) and firing at her while throwing water with a cup or something in front of her, it is that simple. Just throw some water in front of her and because it is back-light, it looks really nice!

I was going to ask how you had water going two directions. Thanks for explaining that. :-)

The Captain and crew finally got their stuff together, now if we can only remember where we left it. :cool:

aiklk
Joined May 2016
Sep 03, 2016 12:51 |  #26

creative idea! Never seem effects like this before.

flickr (external link)

john123
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2008
Atlanta
Oct 30, 2016 21:37 |  #27

Fantastic effect , thanks for explaining how you got it..Never seen that method before... Beautifully done.

Flickrexternal link

dm1215al
Joined Nov 2016
Riverview, FL USA
Dec 11, 2016 17:49 as a reply to post 18052150 |  #28

Some interesting shots, I like them.

mdvaden
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
Jan 20, 2017 23:10 |  #29

Some I like, other's I don't like the chunk of wood in front of her thigh.

But one thing I enjoy is how you showed your effort to try different angles and looks.

vadenphotography.comexternal link . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Pageexternal link

shumicse
160 posts
Joined Aug 2013
Jan 21, 2017 04:21 |  #30

Very good setup and yes lovely shots as well.

sponsored links

7,853 views & 26 likes for this thread
Lady at the Waterfall
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Fashion, Editorial & Commercial

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.