Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras
Thread started 04 Jul 2016 (Monday) 19:50
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Challenge #593 – What “Bugs” You

JimAskew
20% discount at IHOP
Joined Aug 2005
Springfield, VA
Jul 04, 2016 19:50 |  #1

Brood V (5) of 17-year Cicadas have emerged, this spring of 2016, in Maryland, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia & West Virginia. Millions of the little critters are bouncing around the NE USA! Follow this link for more details: http://www.cicadamania​.com ...as-due-in-spring-of-2016/ (external link)

In honor of this event I want to see “What Bugs You” in a well composed photo. Your photo can be something from the insect world or a thing or event that “bugs” you. Please explain the “Bug” in your photo’s title. As always, excellent composition and exposure will prevail!

To submit, click the button labeled 'POST TO THREAD' and put your Photo Title in the first line of the post, above your photo.
Don't forget your Camera Model.

Post until Monday noon GMT, 11 July 2016.

Photo Submissions

1. Camera -- Canon G-Series Camera G1, G2, G3, G5, G6, G7, G9, G10, G11, G12, G15, G16, G1X, G1X Mark II, G3 X, G5X, G7 X , G7X MKII, and Pro1 only.

2. Time -- any on-topic photo taken at any time is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.

3. Size -- photo must be no less than 800 pixels and no more than 1024 pixels on the longest side, with NO BORDERS.
-
4. Post-Processing -- do whatever you like and the host will decide if it works.

5. Posting –
a. One photo per photographer in each challenge.
b. Photo Title in the first line of the post.
c. Camera model.
d. EXIF data, if you like.

6. Commenting -- No commenting on photos by anyone, including the photographer. Once the winners are declared, photographers can add comments to their images and everyone is invited to discuss.

7. Photo Display -- Photos must appear in this thread to be eligible.

8. Time

One challenge every week, on the following schedule:

New Topic ... As soon as possible after winning.
Posting Starts ... Right after topic is announced.
Posting Stops ... Monday noon GMT
Winners Announcement ... As soon as possible, max. until Tuesday noon GMT.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Click FOLLOW THREAD in the top right of the challenge's thread page. Notifications of new posts will appear below the POTN logo and the main links in the top of each forum page. Note: Email notifications are not active at the moment, they will be available soon. Pay attention to your PMs or 'Heads Up!' messages. This will allow the host, helpful members or moderators to contact you about winning or ineligible photos. Thank you. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Click this sentence for Hosting Rules and Winners List.

Click this sentence for Discussion of Rules thread.

Jim -- I keep the G5X in the Glove Box just in case!
7D, G5X, 10-22MM EF-S, 17-55MM f/2.8 EF-S IS, 24-105MM f/4 EF L

sponsored links
JimAskew
THREAD ­ STARTER
20% discount at IHOP
Joined Aug 2005
Springfield, VA
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by JimAskew.
Jul 11, 2016 08:02 |  #2

Contest is now closed. Alas we had no entries this week :-(

So, I will default this week's contest to the 2nd Place winner of the Metal Contest: M_Six for the excellent Tunnel Photo.

So, over to you M_Six and I hope that you have better luck with entries this week :-)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,289 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Jul 11, 2016 12:40 |  #3

Jim, it's a good topic, and I have bug shots, but I didn't enter. Here's why. I've had three different illnesses during the past three weeks; still have the tail end of the latest one. Last time, I felt pretty low and submitted a photo anyway after an emphatic call for them. Unexpectedly, my photo won. I followed through with a new topic and judging, despite being sick. This time, the only way to guarantee not winning was to avoid entering.

Why other people didn't enter--well, who knows!

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
6,605 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010
East Central IL
Jul 11, 2016 13:23 |  #4

Ok, I'll get something up.

I have a gazillion bug shots, but sadly none of them was taken with my G7x.

Mark J.
Gear

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
6,605 posts
Joined Dec 2010
East Central IL
Jul 11, 2016 13:43 |  #5

Ok, new one is up. Should be easy enough to grab a new pic if you don't already have one.

http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​463524

Mark J.
Gear

JimAskew
THREAD ­ STARTER
20% discount at IHOP
Joined Aug 2005
Springfield, VA
Jul 11, 2016 16:45 |  #6

M_Six (Mark) thanks for posting the new challenge. Good topic to compete in. I'll put up an entry shortly.

OhLook, sorry to hear that you are under the weather :-(. Hope you get better soon!

The wife and I are running around all week doing chores and making ready for a two week vacation to Chicago to visit family. Lots of opportunities to give the G5X a workout. :-)

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
32,652 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2005
Central California
Jul 11, 2016 16:54 |  #7

Sorry to see the poor turnout. We are on our last day at Niagara Falls & fly home tomorrow. I will hop back in by the weekend.

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
5DIII
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 85/1.2 135/2.0, 300/f4, 24-70/2.8 both I & II

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
6,605 posts
Joined Dec 2010
East Central IL
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by M_Six. 2 edits done in total.
Jul 11, 2016 17:25 |  #8

JimAskew wrote in post #18064265 (external link)
M_Six (Mark) thanks for posting the new challenge. Good topic to compete in. I'll put up an entry shortly.

OhLook, sorry to hear that you are under the weather :-(. Hope you get better soon!

The wife and I are running around all week doing chores and making ready for a two week vacation to Chicago to visit family. Lots of opportunities to give the G5X a workout. :-)

Don't miss the river walk. Great stuff there. And the architecture boat tours are pretty cool if it's not nuclear hot outside.

If you're in the Michigan Ave area, the Holy Name cathedral is pretty impressive and they allow non-flash photography inside.

http://holynamecathedr​al.org/

IMAGE: https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7434/15794706273_4d05e1473e_c.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/q4HZ​TX] (external link)Holy Name Cathedral (external link) by Mark Johnson (external link), on Flickr

Mark J.
Gear

JimAskew
THREAD ­ STARTER
20% discount at IHOP
Joined Aug 2005
Springfield, VA
Jul 11, 2016 18:38 as a reply to M_Six's post |  #9

Mark, great photo!

We will be in Oswego and Naperville. Our daughter has planed a trip to the Navy Pier for one day :-)

And, we will go to Cicero to visit the Hats-Plus store...they have over 20,000 caps in stock. I have given up ball caps and gone to Touring and Newsboy caps for that "mature" look :-)

Trumper
736 posts
Joined May 2003
Jul 12, 2016 06:45 |  #10

Sorry i couldn't take part this time we were away until late Saturday and i didn't even use the G camera or know the subject bu hopefully back now :)

avigar
Joined Jun 2009
Northern IL
Jul 15, 2016 23:58 |  #11

JimAskew wrote in post #18064387 (external link)
And, we will go to Cicero to visit the Hats-Plus store...they have over 20,000 caps in stock.

Jim, the Hats Plus Store is actually located in Chicago, on Irving Park Rd., near Cicero Ave. It's on Chicago's NW side and a cool place to visit. I wasn't sure if you've been to the Hats Plus store before. The location not to be confused with a town called Cicero, just SW of the Chicago area. Enjoy and have fun on your visit to Chicago. I'm sure there will be photo ops galore for you and your G5X. :-)

--Ben

JimAskew
THREAD ­ STARTER
20% discount at IHOP
Joined Aug 2005
Springfield, VA
Jul 16, 2016 07:58 |  #12

avigar wrote in post #18068321 (external link)
Jim, the Hats Plus Store is actually located in Chicago, on Irving Park Rd., near Cicero Ave. It's on Chicago's NW side and a cool place to visit. I wasn't sure if you've been to the Hats Plus store before. The location not to be confused with a town called Cicero, just SW of the Chicago area. Enjoy and have fun on your visit to Chicago. I'm sure there will be photo ops galore for you and your G5X. :-)

--Ben

Ben,

Thanks. I have been there twice with our daughter and my grandson. When we go there she always drives and talks about it being near Cicero so I assumed the town not the street.

I love caps and so does the grandson :-) Looking forward to a G5X workout there! It is a great area and a great store!

Jim

sponsored links

2,703 views & 3 likes for this thread
Challenge #593 – What “Bugs” You
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.