Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife
Thread started 12 Jul 2016 (Tuesday) 18:22
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Growing up, looking fine

Wallace ­ River
" ...a bit of a pervy voyeur "
Joined Jul 2010
Wallace, Nova Scotia
Jul 12, 2016 18:22 |  #1

This is one of the red fox kits that lost their dad a couple of weeks ago. I think he'll make out ok.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

IAN - Living life on the shores of the Wallace River in northern Nova Scotia, Canada :
Canon 1D4, 1D-X, almost enough glass.
My Flickr (external link). http://ianmurray.zenfo​lio.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
Crimzon
Cream of the Crop
Joined May 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Jul 20, 2016 15:05 |  #2

Beautiful shot, very nicely composed.

My Flikrexternal link
My Imagekind galleryexternal link

Always feel free to provide constructive criticism to any of my pics.

Darvon
640 posts
Joined Dec 2005
San Francisco, California
Jul 20, 2016 21:08 |  #3

Beautiful image. What happened to the dad?

My Flickrexternal link
DonnellyImages.comexternal link

Wallace ­ River
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2010
Wallace, Nova Scotia
Jul 20, 2016 21:12 as a reply to Darvon's post |  #4

He was hit by a car. Broke many peoples' hearts around here.

IAN - Living life on the shores of the Wallace River in northern Nova Scotia, Canada :

MacA488
Joined Dec 2013
Concord, NC, USA
Jul 22, 2016 12:26 |  #5

Glad to see this Ian! I was telling someone at work the other day about YOUR foxes, and the demise of the dad. Looks like mom has stepped up to the challenge!!

Nice shot .... AS ALWAYS!

Mark
C&C welcome! I'm here to learn from the best!
Canon 5D MKIII || Sigma 10-20mm || Rokinon 18mm f2.8 || Canon 24-70mm f4L || Canon 70-200mm f4L IS || Canon 100-400L
My flickr (external link)

Wallace ­ River
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2010
Wallace, Nova Scotia
Jul 22, 2016 12:48 |  #6

MacA488 wrote in post #18074531 (external link)
Glad to see this Ian! I was telling someone at work the other day about YOUR foxes, and the demise of the dad. Looks like mom has stepped up to the challenge!!

Nice shot .... AS ALWAYS!

Thank you so much. I was teeing off this morning on the 4th hole of the about-to-open golf course where the family calls home, and Mom fox was leading 4 or 5 of the babies down the fairway heading for some woods. She saw us and gave a series of barks, instructing the kits to follow her and get away from the humans. They complied nicely and followed her away, doubtless on another instructional hunting trip. It made me so happy to see them doing this, and was wishing I had my video camera with me to capture the moment.

philk54
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2009
Macungie, PA
Jul 22, 2016 13:47 |  #7

Beautiful shot, Ian. Thank you for sharing.

But really, golf? Who has time for golf when there is a den of foxes to photograph?

All I want is just a little more than I'll ever have.

Phil K.
www.philipkresgephotog​raphy.com (external link)

Gear: I started out with nothing, and have most of it left!

Wallace ­ River
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2010
Wallace, Nova Scotia
Jul 22, 2016 17:08 |  #8

philk54 wrote in post #18074600 (external link)
Beautiful shot, Ian. Thank you for sharing. But really, golf? Who has time for golf when there is a den of foxes to photograph?

Haha Phil. Gotta keep active. The foxes are seldom around the den any more, they are spreading out far and wide. This morning was the first time in weeks I've seen them more or less together, with Mom. Plus, this Mom doesn't socialize with people, so when she's with the kits I just leave them alone. She needs her time with them to make them grow up and understand this big bad world.

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
Joined Aug 2012
Minden, Ontario, Canada
Jul 23, 2016 20:59 as a reply to Wallace River's post |  #9

Nice that you got to catch up wth them Ian, We have lost I think close to a dozen adult and kits to road kill this spring around here. kits and adults I have posted. It makes no sense to me that people drive out of the city and race around the cottage country roads like there in a rat race still. you would think they want to slow down and relax.

Jeff ........7D Mark II, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

Wallace ­ River
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2010
Wallace, Nova Scotia
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by Wallace River.
Jul 24, 2016 05:23 |  #10

Pondrader wrote in post #18075712 (external link)
Nice that you got to catch up wth them Ian, We have lost I think close to a dozen adult and kits to road kill this spring around here. kits and adults I have posted. It makes no sense to me that people drive out of the city and race around the cottage country roads like there in a rat race still. you would think they want to slow down and relax.

Yea, sad to hear stories like that Jeff, I know I was so saddened when the Dad fox of this group got killed by a car. There's bound to be more too, the babies have been seen walking down the middle of this back road like they own it. They just don't know any better, having been raised far from a road and in a place where the had no real worries. I've told people here that if they see a baby fox on the road, blow your horn at it and scare it. The best they could be now is afraid of cars.

cheffievrs
Joined Dec 2010
Leamington Spa
Jul 25, 2016 05:26 |  #11

Fantastic Ian..

I just saw this on Twitter, I don't know if you saw it..?

https://www.thedodo.co​m ...x-tribute-1907006683.html (external link)

Queens Royal Hussars
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/59499293@N08external link http://500px.com/jswoo​dexternal link

Wallace ­ River
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2010
Wallace, Nova Scotia
Jul 25, 2016 06:09 |  #12

cheffievrs wrote in post #18076857 (external link)
Fantastic Ian..

I just saw this on Twitter, I don't know if you saw it..?

https://www.thedodo.co​m ...x-tribute-1907006683.html (external link)

Interesting, thanks Jason! I'd never heard of The Dodo when they contacted me and wanted some more information on the fox family, and Dad's death. I was aghast when I saw they have 4.3 million followers! I hadn't seen this posting, thanks for letting me know.

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
Joined Aug 2012
Minden, Ontario, Canada
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by Pondrader.
Jul 25, 2016 09:37 |  #13

Interesting and unfortunate. In my experience advertising the fox has and can become bigger then anyone can control. I know of two family's of fox that are inandated with people with phones, iPads, camera's,...it can become a real zoo,.... and some think it is. I knew a family of fox that a few shot in secret until one person used Facebook to advertise there where about's which opened the flood gate's. They will come from far and wide to get there shot. Becareful Iain the media is only after what they want. I'll bet I can find your fox in an afternoon. Thus the reason I sit on all my info of where and when.

Jeff ........7D Mark II, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

Wallace ­ River
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2010
Wallace, Nova Scotia
Jul 25, 2016 13:49 |  #14

Pondrader wrote in post #18077022 (external link)
Interesting and unfortunate. In my experience advertising the fox has and can become bigger then anyone can control. I know of two family's of fox that are inandated with people with phones, iPads, camera's,...it can become a real zoo,.... and some think it is. I knew a family of fox that a few shot in secret until one person used Facebook to advertise there where about's which opened the flood gate's. They will come from far and wide to get there shot. Becareful Iain the media is only after what they want. I'll bet I can find your fox in an afternoon. Thus the reason I sit on all my info of where and when.

Right on Jeff. Some locals know where they are, and it will become inevitable as the golf course is about to open to the public. The kits are still running around a bit. Who knows what will happen next year as the foot traffic on the course increases. Of course, I do not disclose their exact whereabouts, nor do I answer questions from people who ask me directly where they are. And those who do know where they are, I plead with them not to advertise their whereabouts. I declined to take CBC, CTV and The Weather Network to where they are. But as you may know, in small town Canada, there are no true secrets. All we can do is protect them as much as we can.

SJC ­ from ­ VT
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2009
USA/Northeast
Jul 25, 2016 17:17 |  #15

Beautiful photo Ian, sad story about the male fox. I just read through all the comments.

*Sandy* "If we all had positive attitudes...we could change the world"
7D ll and 60D plus some other stuff! My Flickr http://flic.kr/ps/FEPL​p (external link)

sponsored links

2,576 views & 28 likes for this thread
Growing up, looking fine
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.