Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Gear Reviews Lens Reviews
Thread started 14 Jul 2016 (Thursday) 11:28
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon EF 35mm F1.4L II USM, reviewed by Keith Taylor

TOGGLE RATINGS BETWEEN ALL AND Keith Taylor (showing now: Keith Taylor)
Overall Ratingn/a
not rated
Overall Image Qualityn/a
not rated
Value for Moneyn/a
not rated
Bokehn/a
not rated
Sharpnessn/a
not rated
Contrastn/a
not rated
Focusingn/a
not rated
Must Haven/a
not rated
Suitability to Intended Usen/a
not rated
Got What I Expectedn/a
not rated
Ownership Status: "own"

Click here for detailed specs and sample photos.
Click ratings to see total averages and rating distributions.
List all reviews of Canon EF 35mm F1.4L II USM

Keith ­ Taylor
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Sep 2012
Adelaide
Jul 14, 2016 11:28 |  #1

Where gear evaluation is concerned it often matters more WHO is saying things rather than WHAT is being said. In brief, I am a retired guy who has only developed an interest in photography in the past 10 years or so. I worked in the field of maintaining broadcast (TV and sound) transmitters and allied A/V equipment. I must confess to having a preoccupation with things technical and derive enjoyment from decent images whether they have any creative flair or not!

I bought the 35mm lens realising that while it is not an ideal focal length for a crop body it should come into its own on a full frame body, particularly one with a high MPX sensor. Presently I am awaiting the specs on the 5D4

It is the middle of winter in South Australia, and that, coupled with the fact that I have only had the lens for about 3 weeks means that I have not used it a lot. Have to say that I am impressed with the sharpness over the whole frame and the general absence of artifacts such as CA, lens flare etc. As with audio and loudspeakers, the best of them are equally characterised by the sounds they DON'T make as the sounds they do make. I think the same applies to lenses, where we almost get used to artifacts that don't belong there. Thus an early impression of the images from the new lens was how simple, even boring, everything looks.

An organisation promoting choral music uses me as their "official photographer" at workshops, concerts etc. During an all day conducting workshop the new lens produced far superior images to the EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 zoom and proved to be a very usefull focal length for getting all or most of the ensemble in the shot. I used the EF 70-200 f2.8 for close ups of the presenter.

I don't know if it is the price tag, but this lens seems to have largely passed under the radar of all but a few discriminating users. The on-line reviews have been pretty enthusiastic, and Lens Rentals have one of their "tear downs" on it, where they rate the build quality among the best they have encountered. Not being interested in shallow depth of field images, the sharpness at f1.4 is somewhat wasted on me!. Very happy with the lens.

Keith

Bassat
"I must be the worst photographer on the planet"
4,702 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Jul 14, 2016 11:51 |  #2

I bought the 35 IS before I had much appreciation for f/1.anything. I'm keeping it.

I agree with that 35mm on apsc (or my shooting with it!) tends to the boring side. Mount that lens on a full frame camera. You'll see a much more 'environmentally friendly lens. I like my 35 a lot more since I started mounting it on a 6D.

Tom

1,209 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon EF 35mm F1.4L II USM, reviewed by Keith Taylor
FORUMS Gear Reviews Lens Reviews

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.