Thread started 11 Mar 2006 (Saturday) 04:29   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

kaitanium
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2005
3,667 posts
Sacramento/San Francisco USA
[MORE/SHARE]

beautiful yah? ive been waiting and saving up so long for this lens! near normal view on a crop body is wonderful! now i see what this lens is all about and what all you owners are talking about and f1.8 is quite wonderful too! since people always express joy of new things, i thought i express mine too regardless if you hate these kind of posts or not =). now my SLR is even more portable

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos.

Post #1, Mar 11, 2006 04:29:45

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
dandan
Joined Jan 2005
658 posts
Chiba, Japan
[MORE/SHARE]

wow, thats pretty small.. how bis is it compared to the 50mm 1.8?

Post #2, Mar 11, 2006 04:42:58

30mm, 50mm, 85mm, and some zooms here and there.
All nikon :D
- www.dan-mcnair.comexternal link - Webdesign and Photographyexternal link

jjonsalt
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2005
1,502 posts
Central Florida
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

I really wouldn't mind having one of those, just can't afford it.

Post #3, Mar 11, 2006 07:27:28

PetKal
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2005
11,141 posts
Nizza, Italia
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

That's a nice, well built, compact lens. The performance should be very good,based on what I've heard.
I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Post #4, Mar 11, 2006 07:35:11 as a reply to jjonsalt's post 7 minutes earlier.

Potenza-Walore-Prestigio

RichardtheSane
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2003
3,011 posts
Nottingham UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Enjoy the lens, it is truly a great piece of glass!

You may find it takes a little getting used to, but despite what first impressions offer the lens is also very sharp (but very easy to mis focus!)

I had to sell mine because I wasn't getting the use ouf of it. Hardest decision I made for a while when I agreed to sell it!

Post #5, Mar 11, 2006 08:57:53 as a reply to PetKal's post 1 hour earlier.

If in doubt, I shut up...

Gear: 40D, 12-24mm AT-X Pro, 17-85mm, Sigma 150mm Macro Sigma 100-300 F4, 550EX, other stuff that probably helps me on my way.

sponsored links
Double ­ Negative
*sniffles*
Joined Mar 2006
10,516 posts
New York, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Nice lens! I used the 35mm ƒ/2.0 for several years as my primary lens. This should be even better - a little wider (closer to 50mm) and a little brighter. Plus it's got USM.

These lenses make the camera very portable indeed. Much smaller overall size and definitely lighter.

I used a rubber lens hood on mine which could be collapsed - no screwing or unscrewing of hard plastic hoods or a separate item to worry about. Bonus, they work with polarizers very nicely.

Post #6, Mar 11, 2006 09:17:25

La Vida Leica!external linkLitPixel Galleriesexternal link -- 1v-HS/1d Mk IIn w/E-1 & Op/Tech straps
15mm f/2.8, 14mm f/2.8L, 24mm f/1.4L II, 35mm f/1.4L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L II, 135mm f/2.0L
16-35mm f/2.8L, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, Extender EF 1.4x II & 2x II

ffureel
Joined Feb 2006
72 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

it is a great lens and my most used!

I dont understand all of the negative rap it gets, never lets me down and the photos it produces are stunning. For some reason though the lens does tend to overexpose for some reason Im not sure of.

Post #7, Mar 11, 2006 10:43:17 as a reply to Double Negative's post 1 hour earlier.

Steve ­ Parr
should have taken his own advice
Joined Feb 2005
6,593 posts
San Diego, CA
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

Mine will be a work-horse tonight.

I'm shooting a band tonight, but there's a party before the gig which will be attended by some record execs from Universal. So, along with the gig, I've been asked to shoot the party, as well.

The 28mm should do nicely...

Post #8, Mar 11, 2006 11:35:58 as a reply to ffureel's post 52 minutes earlier.

Steve

Canon Bodies, Canon Lenses, Sigma Lenses, Various "Stuff"...

OnStage Photographyexternal link

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
Joined Dec 2005
34,036 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Post shots with it!

That lens is on my wishlist, next to many many others. :)

Post #9, Mar 11, 2006 11:39:34

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it hereexternal link. Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid!

kaitanium
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2005
3,667 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

dandan wrote:
wow, thats pretty small.. how bis is it compared to the 50mm 1.8?

i think the 50mm f1.8 is a little bit smaller (i was considering that before because it was the smallest). this 28mm one is on the size of the 50mm f1.4 with a little more protrusion in the front for a lens hood.

but man i cant wait just to go out and shoot! so compact on my camera now, plus i can fit a group of people in without standing 23125444624 miles away. hope this ones a good copy of the lens.

if youre looking into getting one of these, just save up. its worth it in the end from what im seeing so far. f1.8, compact, relatively sharp, usm focusing, normal view, man what more could i want (hah plenty) in a typical walk around prime? but yea...=P

Post #10, Mar 11, 2006 13:00:12 as a reply to dandan's post 8 hours earlier.

fuzzypix
Hatchling
Joined Mar 2006
9 posts
Texas
[MORE/SHARE]

I miss that lens. With its hood on, It was one of the prettiest lens from Canon.
It is a tiny bit soft at wide open, but it produces awesome color.

Post #11, Mar 11, 2006 14:20:13

---------------
Canon EOS 30D / Canon EFs 17-55mm f/2.8 USM / Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM / Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM / Canon 580EX Speedlight

sponsored links
Calzinger
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2006
1,798 posts
New York
[MORE/SHARE]

I'm currently looking to get a fast walk-around prime, and this one got my attention. I've also considered the Sigma 28mm f/1.8 just because it's dirt cheap! For only $250, I wonder if I should save up for the Canon. I don't need USM but FTM might be nice if I go macro with it. If I'm planning to spend $400 though, the Sigma 30 f/1.4 caught my attention more.

Sorry to hijack your thread there. I'm interested to see if spending that extra money is justified. Money is extremely tight for me and given my lens "collection", I'm in desperate need of some fast walk-around glass immediately.

Post #12, Mar 12, 2006 09:49:03

"That building in the background is distracting."
"Oh OK, I'll move it out of the way next time."
internet forum fail

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
Joined Dec 2005
34,036 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Chris,

The Sigma f/1.4 is a good choice if you know you never plan to go full-frame, or you have no problems selling if you do. I know I'm in the air about the Sigma or the Canon offering. It's a tough call. Sigma's faster, includes hood. Canon's a wee bit slower but can go full frame. Both have HSM/USM. Both nice and sharp. Both render nice colors, IMO.

Post #13, Mar 12, 2006 09:52:15

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it hereexternal link. Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid!

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
Joined Apr 2003
40,778 posts
Providence RI
[MORE/SHARE]

It's a great little lens. It compares more with the 85mm f/1.8 USM than with the nifty in build quality and perfromance....

The two lenses feel very similar and focus sooo fast :)

Post #14, Mar 12, 2006 11:13:16

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
My POTN Share Threads
Jake Hegnauer Photographyexternal link

kaitanium
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2005
3,667 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

i was looking at the sigma (28mm and 30mm) too. BUT what won me over to the canon was its compactness, the avaliability of USM and most importantly the fact that its gauranteed to work on newer canon cameras in the future without the need for rechipping (also, the 30mm sigma wont work on full frames). plus its got a higher resale value. and yes trust me that my funds were really really tight too, but save up for it and i gaurantee the canon version will be a good buy.

oh btw, hijack all you want =) Calzinger

Post #15, Mar 12, 2006 12:01:31

LIST NEARBY THREADS
6,460 views & 0 likes for this thread
got my 28mm f1.8!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES