Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th of March 2006 (Sat)   #1
kaitanium
Goldmember

Default got my 28mm f1.8!

beautiful yah? ive been waiting and saving up so long for this lens! near normal view on a crop body is wonderful! now i see what this lens is all about and what all you owners are talking about and f1.8 is quite wonderful too! since people always express joy of new things, i thought i express mine too regardless if you hate these kind of posts or not =). now my SLR is even more portable
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3173.JPG (43.3 KB, 683 views)
kaitanium is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 11th of March 2006 (Sat)   #2
dandan

Default Re: got my 28mm f1.8!

wow, thats pretty small.. how bis is it compared to the 50mm 1.8?

- www.dan-mcnair.com - Webdesign and Photography
dandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of March 2006 (Sat)   #3
jjonsalt
User is banned from forums

I really wouldn't mind having one of those, just can't afford it.
jjonsalt is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 11th of March 2006 (Sat)   #4
PetKal
User is banned from forums

That's a nice, well built, compact lens. The performance should be very good,based on what I've heard.
I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
PetKal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of March 2006 (Sat)   #5
RichardtheSane
Goldmember

Enjoy the lens, it is truly a great piece of glass!

You may find it takes a little getting used to, but despite what first impressions offer the lens is also very sharp (but very easy to mis focus!)

I had to sell mine because I wasn't getting the use ouf of it. Hardest decision I made for a while when I agreed to sell it!

Gear: 40D, 12-24mm AT-X Pro, 17-85mm, Sigma 150mm Macro Sigma 100-300 F4, 550EX, other stuff that probably helps me on my way.
RichardtheSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of March 2006 (Sat)   #6
Double Negative
*sniffles*

Nice lens! I used the 35mm ƒ/2.0 for several years as my primary lens. This should be even better - a little wider (closer to 50mm) and a little brighter. Plus it's got USM.

These lenses make the camera very portable indeed. Much smaller overall size and definitely lighter.

I used a rubber lens hood on mine which could be collapsed - no screwing or unscrewing of hard plastic hoods or a separate item to worry about. Bonus, they work with polarizers very nicely.
Double Negative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of March 2006 (Sat)   #7
ffureel

it is a great lens and my most used!

I dont understand all of the negative rap it gets, never lets me down and the photos it produces are stunning. For some reason though the lens does tend to overexpose for some reason Im not sure of.
ffureel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of March 2006 (Sat)   #8
Steve Parr
should have taken his own advice

Mine will be a work-horse tonight.

I'm shooting a band tonight, but there's a party before the gig which will be attended by some record execs from Universal. So, along with the gig, I've been asked to shoot the party, as well.

The 28mm should do nicely...
Steve Parr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of March 2006 (Sat)   #9
cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me

Post shots with it!

That lens is on my wishlist, next to many many others.
Old 11th of March 2006 (Sat)   #10
kaitanium
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandan
wow, thats pretty small.. how bis is it compared to the 50mm 1.8?
i think the 50mm f1.8 is a little bit smaller (i was considering that before because it was the smallest). this 28mm one is on the size of the 50mm f1.4 with a little more protrusion in the front for a lens hood.

but man i cant wait just to go out and shoot! so compact on my camera now, plus i can fit a group of people in without standing 23125444624 miles away. hope this ones a good copy of the lens.

if youre looking into getting one of these, just save up. its worth it in the end from what im seeing so far. f1.8, compact, relatively sharp, usm focusing, normal view, man what more could i want (hah plenty) in a typical walk around prime? but yea...=P
Old 11th of March 2006 (Sat)   #11
fuzzypix

I miss that lens. With its hood on, It was one of the prettiest lens from Canon.
It is a tiny bit soft at wide open, but it produces awesome color.
Old 12th of March 2006 (Sun)   #12
Calzinger

I'm currently looking to get a fast walk-around prime, and this one got my attention. I've also considered the Sigma 28mm f/1.8 just because it's dirt cheap! For only $250, I wonder if I should save up for the Canon. I don't need USM but FTM might be nice if I go macro with it. If I'm planning to spend $400 though, the Sigma 30 f/1.4 caught my attention more.

Sorry to hijack your thread there. I'm interested to see if spending that extra money is justified. Money is extremely tight for me and given my lens "collection", I'm in desperate need of some fast walk-around glass immediately.

internet forum fail
Calzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of March 2006 (Sun)   #13
cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me

Chris,

The Sigma f/1.4 is a good choice if you know you never plan to go full-frame, or you have no problems selling if you do. I know I'm in the air about the Sigma or the Canon offering. It's a tough call. Sigma's faster, includes hood. Canon's a wee bit slower but can go full frame. Both have HSM/USM. Both nice and sharp. Both render nice colors, IMO.
Old 12th of March 2006 (Sun)   #14
CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)

It's a great little lens. It compares more with the 85mm f/1.8 USM than with the nifty in build quality and perfromance....

The two lenses feel very similar and focus sooo fast
CyberDyneSystems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of March 2006 (Sun)   #15
kaitanium
Goldmember

i was looking at the sigma (28mm and 30mm) too. BUT what won me over to the canon was its compactness, the avaliability of USM and most importantly the fact that its gauranteed to work on newer canon cameras in the future without the need for rechipping (also, the 30mm sigma wont work on full frames). plus its got a higher resale value. and yes trust me that my funds were really really tight too, but save up for it and i gaurantee the canon version will be a good buy.

oh btw, hijack all you want =) Calzinger

Last edited by kaitanium : 12th of March 2006 (Sun) at 13:04.