Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Food Photography & Visual Recipes
Thread started 25 Jul 2016 (Monday) 12:57
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Raw food, spices, condiments, gadgets and odds from your kitchen etc.

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,272 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Sep 16, 2016 21:35 |  #31

Foodguy wrote in post #18130444 (external link)
I built this last week for the next project coming in. It holds dry ice pellets in the chamber and with the aid of a computer fan, blows chilled air over the scoop while it's on the set to help keep it from melting.

Interesting. I always like to see how things are done BTS. Does this device function without putting visible fumes into the shot?

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

sponsored links
Foodguy
Goldmember
1,323 posts
Joined Mar 2012
Having too much fun in the studio
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by Foodguy. 2 edits done in total.
Sep 16, 2016 22:14 |  #32

OhLook wrote in post #18130510 (external link)
Interesting. I always like to see how things are done BTS. Does this device function without putting visible fumes into the shot?

Yes...the fan just blows air over the dry ice so what comes out the end is simply cold air. Any 'fumes' from the dry ice dissipate (evaporate?) quickly.The old school way of doing this is to hold a colander filled with dry ice directly over the scoop and let the cold air cascade down. And while that works reasonably well, any air movement in the room (strobes/air conditioner) has pretty large affect on that falling air. This gun provides a bit of 'force' from the fan to keep it concentrated on the scoop.

And to provide a little sense of the scale of the project coming up from just a logistics point of view: I need to accommodate about 250 1/2 gallon containers of ice cream in freezer space. It gets complicated because it needs to be in the freezers for a few days at -5° in order to temper, so I can't shuttle it between different places. I currently have 3 stand alone freezers as well as 2 that are part of refrigerators but suspect that i need to have more and I'm wishing my math skills were better in trying to figure out exactly how many cubic feet of storage the product requires. :cry:

Here's a scoop that's being worked on in the cold box...a styrofoam box packed with dry ice on sides and above, with a hinged door. Work a little, close the door to re-freeze...repeat.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

My answer for most photography questions: "it depends...'

Lupo-Lobo
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2013
Texas
Sep 17, 2016 00:07 |  #33

Foodguy wrote in post #18130524 (external link)
Yes...the fan just blows air over the dry ice so what comes out the end is simply cold air. Any 'fumes' from the dry ice dissipate (evaporate?) quickly.The old school way of doing this is to hold a colander filled with dry ice directly over the scoop and let the cold air cascade down. And while that works reasonably well, any air movement in the room (strobes/air conditioner) has pretty large affect on that falling air. This gun provides a bit of 'force' from the fan to keep it concentrated on the scoop.

And to provide a little sense of the scale of the project coming up from just a logistics point of view: I need to accommodate about 250 1/2 gallon containers of ice cream in freezer space. It gets complicated because it needs to be in the freezers for a few days at -5° in order to temper, so I can't shuttle it between different places. I currently have 3 stand alone freezers as well as 2 that are part of refrigerators but suspect that i need to have more and I'm wishing my math skills were better in trying to figure out exactly how many cubic feet of storage the product requires. :cry:

Here's a scoop that's being worked on in the cold box...a styrofoam box packed with dry ice on sides and above, with a hinged door. Work a little, close the door to re-freeze...repeat.

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by Foodguy in
./showthread.php?p=181​30524&i=i261889456
forum: Food Photography & Visual Recipes

I put in a couple years at the local Baskin Robbins Ice Cream Parlor as a teen - developed Popeye like forearms in the first three months. Still got 'em, give me a shout if you need some help ;-)a

Lupo

Foodguy
Goldmember
1,323 posts
Joined Mar 2012
Having too much fun in the studio
Sep 17, 2016 08:37 |  #34

Lupo-Lobo wrote in post #18130597 (external link)
I put in a couple years at the local Baskin Robbins Ice Cream Parlor as a teen - developed Popeye like forearms in the first three months. Still got 'em, give me a shout if you need some help ;-)a

Feel free to stop by! Gladly put those forearms to good use ;-)a

My answer for most photography questions: "it depends...'

Bojsha1965
Joined Jul 2012
Belgrade, Serbia
Sep 17, 2016 14:34 as a reply to post 18130485 |  #35

Thanks Renata, it's a black root, nothing special, but very young :)

Nebojsa
5dmkII | 24-105L | 17-40L | 100L macro | 70-200L | 44-2 | 44M-4 | 77M-4 | MC Volna 9 | Jupiter 9 | Some old Nikkors | flickr (external link)

Bojsha1965
Joined Jul 2012
Belgrade, Serbia
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by Bojsha1965.
Sep 23, 2016 16:01 |  #36

Some pink beans.

HOSTED PHOTO

Nebojsa
5dmkII | 24-105L | 17-40L | 100L macro | 70-200L | 44-2 | 44M-4 | 77M-4 | MC Volna 9 | Jupiter 9 | Some old Nikkors | flickr (external link)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,272 posts
Joined Dec 2012
Oct 15, 2016 19:31 |  #37

Parsnip, fresh out of the ground

HOSTED PHOTO

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

itsallart
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2015
Near Dallas
Oct 25, 2016 22:45 |  #38

While making bruschetta

HOSTED PHOTO

Renata
Seeing lights and shadows is an art :)
Renata Sharman (external link)Tanami Muse (external link)
Facebook (external link) 500px (external link)
Live Event Painting (external link)

wsfonnet
Hatchling
Joined Oct 2016
Oct 27, 2016 08:22 |  #39

Green asparagus

HOSTED PHOTO

Bojsha1965
Joined Jul 2012
Belgrade, Serbia
Nov 11, 2016 16:11 |  #40

Autumn scene with my "new" lens, Canon 50 macro 2.5.

HOSTED PHOTO

Nebojsa

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,272 posts
Joined Dec 2012
Nov 20, 2016 19:12 |  #41

Simple view of garlic salt

HOSTED PHOTO

Bojsha1965
Joined Jul 2012
Belgrade, Serbia
Dec 16, 2016 14:35 |  #42

Same lens, new theme.

HOSTED PHOTO

Nebojsa

tcphoto1
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2005
Madison, Ga
Dec 16, 2016 15:12 |  #43

Perhaps my favorite surface to shoot on.

HOSTED PHOTO

www.tonyclarkphoto.comexternal link
www.tcphoto.orgexternal link

Bojsha1965
Joined Jul 2012
Belgrade, Serbia
Jan 25, 2017 08:46 |  #44

United colours of peppers.

HOSTED PHOTO

Nebojsa

-Duck-
my head is usually in the way
Joined Apr 2016
Shelton, CT USA
Jan 30, 2017 23:24 |  #45

Here's my contribution from a recent portfolio shoot.

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Portfolios/Food/i-n7R8tmQ/0/XL/UnitasPhoto_Strawberries-XL.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://photos.smugmug​.com ...awberries-XL.jpg&lb=1&s=A] (external link) on Smugmug

"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Unitas Photoraphy (external link)Meetup (external link)Blog (external link)Facebook (external link)Flickr (external link)500px (external link)

sponsored links

13,417 views & 153 likes for this thread
Raw food, spices, condiments, gadgets and odds from your kitchen etc.
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Food Photography & Visual Recipes

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.