Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
Thread started 04 Aug 2016 (Thursday) 18:40
Search threadPrev/next

How many lights do you use?

travisvwright
Goldmember
2,040 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Aug 04, 2016 18:40 |  #1

For location bedroom style stuff. Not seamless shots.

I come here for your expert opinion. Please do not hesitate to critique or edit.
70D, T3i, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 100 2.8 Macro, Canon 85 1.8, Canon 10-18 4.5 STM

Franklin NC Photographer Travis Wright (external link)

knak
97 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 04, 2016 22:04 |  #2

As many as I need.

I've faked a sun lite window with a large soft box and then added from there.
Often only one or two lights overall, but I've used 5 or 6 before.
My understanding is that Playboy used to use upwards of 50 for the centerfold shots.

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,254 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Aug 05, 2016 19:13 |  #3

Different for each location, I keep it as simple as I can most of the time.

omer
Goldmember
1,162 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 08, 2016 05:31 |  #4

I just do it in the dark ;-)a

80D | 7D | M6 | 15-85 | 70-300 L | Sig 10-20 | 50 1.8 |100 2.8 macro|28 F2.8 | efs24| efm 15-45| efs 55-250 stm |270EX | 430EXII |

Mark_Cohran
Cream of the Crop
15,646 posts
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2002

Jan 01, 2017 01:16 |  #5

Usually 3, sometimes 4. I use a key, a fill and a hair light usually. If I need more light on the background, I might use a 4th light. Sometimes, for moodier shots, I use a reflector as the fill as opposed to a separate strobe. This is for small settings. Obviously for a larger space, I would use one or additional lights for the backdrop.

Mark
-----
Some primes, some zooms, some Ls, some bodies and they all play nice together.
Forty years of shooting and still learning.
My Tumblr Site (external link) (NSFW)
Follow Me on Instagram (external link)

tdlavigne
326 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Jan 01, 2017 01:44 |  #6

Usually none, sometimes one. I haven't been lucky enough to shoot on location in a huge bedroom, just typical small home/apartment sized ones...so I try not to over-complicate things and adhere to the KISS ideology. None is best (provided they have adequate window lighting and we shoot at an appropriate time), but if need be I'll use a large octa or just bounce one strobe off an adjacent wall or the ceiling.

In an ideal world with tons of time and a large enough space? The sky's the limit. Whatever will help to get the look I want I guess.

2,537 views & 1 like for this thread
How many lights do you use?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.