Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Still Life, B/W & Experimental Talk
Thread started 08 Aug 2016 (Monday) 07:04
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Accurate color of colored light source?

battletone
Joined Sep 2009
Aug 08, 2016 07:04 |  #1

I need to shoot some products that have colored LEDs. They will be emitting a nice glow, and my thoughts are that I want to capture a shot that is totally illuminated only with the products light. I guess at best I could equate it to a camping light. But I realized I have no idea how to shoot this for accurate color. I would rather not leave it on auto WB and spend forever tweaking to taste in post if there is a way I can use my Color Checker to do this, but I only know how to correct for color casts, not accurately capture them.

Cameras: 5D Mark IV, EOS 3, Elan 7
Lenses:15mm 2.8 fisheye, 16-35mm 2.8L II, 50mm 1.2L, 85mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8L, 70-200L II IS
Tripod: Gitzo GT2531, Arca-Swiss Z1, RRS PC-LR
Lights: Photogenic PL1250 x2, 1500SL x1, Canon 580ex, YN 568ex II

sponsored links
PhotosGuy
74,826 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Aug 08, 2016 08:10 |  #2

Why not try shooting a jpg with each WB pre-set & see what looks best to you? I suspect that Cloudy would be the one to use.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

battletone
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2009
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by battletone.
Aug 08, 2016 12:11 as a reply to PhotosGuy's post |  #3

Well, if you start in a near pitch black dark room, and light up a yellow LED, or a blue LED, and there is no ambient light to use as a guide, cloudy doesn't jump out as obvious too me anymore than daylight.
Is cloudy supposed to be a neutral type setting for when you don't want to adjust for a color cast? I guess I am looking to learn proper technique on this rather than shooting from the hip.

Lenses:15mm 2.8 fisheye, 16-35mm 2.8L II, 50mm 1.2L, 85mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8L, 70-200L II IS

PhotosGuy
74,826 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Aug 08, 2016 12:15 |  #4

battletone wrote in post #18089786 (external link)
Well, if you start in a near pitch black dark room, and light up a yellow LED, or a blue LED, and there is no ambient light to use as a guide, cloudy doesn't jump out as obvious too me anymore than daylight.
Is cloudy supposed to be a neutral type setting for when you don't want to adjust for a color cast? I guess I am looking to learn proper technique on this rather than shooting from the hip.

I started with film & nobody had heard of a photography forum. Sometimes asking questions in a forum isn't as useful as starting with a test? At the worst, you might find what doesn't work. ; )

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,243 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Aug 08, 2016 12:15 |  #5

Will you have ambient light as well? What I do when shooting in conditions where there is some ambient light and some light emitted by the subject is balance for the ambient using a gray card. Then turn on the product lighting and it should be rendered in it's real color..

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

battletone
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2009
Aug 08, 2016 12:18 as a reply to gjl711's post |  #6

No ambient light.

battletone
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2009
Aug 08, 2016 12:28 |  #7

PhotosGuy wrote in post #18089790 (external link)
I started with film & nobody had heard of a photography forum. Sometimes asking questions in a forum isn't as useful as starting with a test? At the worst, you might find what doesn't work. ; )

As did I, and I recall people still sharing information, just in different ways and at different places.

Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Aug 08, 2016 13:14 |  #8

Is there a way you can check the LEDs' specs? Maybe they'll provide the colour temperature.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

battletone
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2009
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by battletone. 2 edits done in total.
Aug 08, 2016 13:24 as a reply to Alveric's post |  #9

That would take some digging since I do t know what parts they used, but wouldnt that temperature just allow me to correct their color to neutral rather than presenting their color accurately? Or can you use that temperature to determine a value to set the WB?
Everything I can think of to google only references fixing to neutral grey.

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,243 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Aug 08, 2016 13:45 |  #10

You might want to just set the camera to 6000k or daylight as this is about a neutral as you can get. It should then render the LED light pretty much in it's natural color.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

-Duck-
my head is usually in the way
Joined Apr 2016
Shelton, CT USA
Aug 11, 2016 10:56 |  #11

Not knowing what you're shooting I can't see how you'll be able to balance the overall look of the product just by the product's LEDs. All I can picture is a gadget with LED accents. Capturing their glow would leave the majority of the product in darkness. But I'm just speculating here and quite interested in seeing the results. You should really offer up what it is you're photographing so people can give you a more critical response.

That said, the best way to color manage your image is to use a color manager such as the X-rite or Pantone systems. Shoot the calibrated card under the lighting condition for the product and you'll be able to calibrate the LED's colors for truer rendering. Otherwise it's all visual guesswork.

"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Unitas Photoraphy (external link)Meetup (external link)Blog (external link)Facebook (external link)Flickr (external link)500px (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,156 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by Wilt. 2 edits done in total.
Aug 11, 2016 11:22 |  #12

'Accurate WB' is relative...

• 3200K incandescent light looks noticeably warm compared to 'daylight'
  • 3200K incandescent light can look 'neutral' simply by choosing 3200K WB

So when you want the illumination to look natural, then I have to ask, " 'natural' compared to what?!" If you want 'natural' compared to daylight, simply shoot at daylight WB. But if you want 'natural' compared to a white LED, then you have to illuminate with a white LED a white piece of paper (preferable Kodak white glossy print paper, if you want to be truly accurate), then use the LR eyedropper to get WB value and Tint to establish 'neutral' settings, then apply the same WB and Tint settings to your product photo.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

battletone
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2009
Aug 11, 2016 12:28 |  #13

If you turn off the lights in the dark and try to capture the color of a red dark light as it appears, how do you correctly set or determine the WB? I am not wanting to fix it make it appear like a normal color light. I want to capture it as it looks.

Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Aug 11, 2016 12:37 |  #14

battletone wrote in post #18092737 (external link)
If you turn off the lights in the dark and try to capture the color of a red dark light as it appears, how do you correctly set or determine the WB? I am not wanting to fix it make it appear like a normal color light. I want to capture it as it looks.

You want the camera to mimic what the eye sees. That can be very difficult.

LEDs and other light sources each have their own emission spectra. These spectra could be monochromatic or broad-band. Then there is the sensitivity of the receptors in the eye compared to the sensor. They are different too. The result as we know is that the camera sees colors differently than we do. A perfectly normal-looking scene under fluorescent light looks green (or some other shade depending on the variety of light) to the camera. Compact fluorescents look intensely yellow to the camera.

IMO it will be way too difficult to approach the issue of the LED source scientifically. So ... do trial and error!

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

-Duck-
my head is usually in the way
Joined Apr 2016
Shelton, CT USA
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by -Duck-.
Aug 11, 2016 12:46 |  #15

Shoot tethered. Take a test shot and display that on your (calibrated) screen. View the results and compare it with the actual product. If they look the same you're golden. If not, make your editing adjustments on site until you get it. Once that's done use those same settings moving forward and all your images will come out the same.

"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Unitas Photoraphy (external link)Meetup (external link)Blog (external link)Facebook (external link)Flickr (external link)500px (external link)

sponsored links

4,465 views & 5 likes for this thread
Accurate color of colored light source?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Still Life, B/W & Experimental Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.