Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions
Thread started 14 Aug 2016 (Sunday) 06:38
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Digital Camera Speed Challenge #428 - Water

sandwedge
Joined Aug 2011
Atlanta, GA
Aug 14, 2016 06:38 |  #1

This week's theme is "Water". Any photo that uses water in the composition is acceptable.

Standard Rules apply Photo Submissions:

1. Camera: Any Digital Camera, but NO Cell Phones.
2. Time: Any on-topic photo taken at any time is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.
3. Size: Please visit Image Posting Rules.
4. Post Processing: Do whatever you like and the host will decide if it works.
5. Posting: ONE PHOTO per photographer in each challenge. Camera model & lens used. Post brief EXIF data including ISO, shutter speed and aperture used.
6. Commenting: No commenting during challenge. When the posting is closed and a winner has been declared, comments can be made in this thread.
7. Keep it clean, and both Family and Work safe.
8. Have questions, PM me.
9. Have FUN!

One challenge every week, on the following schedule:
* New Topic - After winner is declared.
* Posting Starts - Right after topic is announced.
* Posting Ends – 6:00 p.m. Central Standard Time, Sunday, August 21, 2016.
* Winner from this competition decides the theme of the next one (and judges it for a winner) after this competition is closed.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/63710159@N07/ (external link)
http://www.DougMoon.sm​ugmug.com (external link)
80D, 7D, 5D, t2i, sx50, Sigma 150-600C, 100-400L, 70-200L II, 100mm Macro, Sigma 17-70, Sigma 50 1.4, Tamron 28-75, Tokina 11-20, Bower 8mm

sponsored links
WishfulDoing
300 posts
Joined Sep 2015
Aug 14, 2016 07:46 |  #2

IMAGE: https://c4.staticflickr.com/9/8638/28357134763_ef7f62b154_o.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/KcPJ​dB] (external link)Frozen (external link) by Wishful Doing (external link), on Flickr

Nikon D7100, Nikkor AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR @ 160mm, ISO 100, f/22, 20 sec. (Cacagoo ND 1000 filter), processed and converted to B&W in Lightroom.

philk54
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2009
Macungie, PA
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by philk54.
Aug 14, 2016 08:45 |  #3

Cascade in the Glen

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/424/20087046728_1118e55cb4_c.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/wB2n​aS] (external link)7U1A7818c (external link) by Philip Kresge (external link), on Flickr

Canon 5D Mark III
Canon 24-105mm @ 40mm
Av: f/4.5
Tv: 1/8 sec
ISO: 400

All I want is just a little more than I'll ever have.

Phil K.
www.philipkresgephotog​raphy.com (external link)

Gear: I started out with nothing, and have most of it left!

dixiedawn
Joined Aug 2008
AZ
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by dixiedawn.
Aug 14, 2016 23:45 |  #4

Beaver Pond, South Mineral Creek, near Silverton CO

IMAGE: https://c5.staticflickr.com/8/7266/7505687884_a4230a8ecc_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/crfB​vN] (external link)south mineral creek valley (external link) by *dxd* (external link), on Flickr

debbie

teekay
Goldmember
2,552 posts
Joined Apr 2001
British Columbia, Canada
Aug 14, 2016 23:53 |  #5

In Full Force

IMAGE: http://community.netidea.com/teekay/temp/Water1280.jpg
60D 5secs f/8 ISO100 28mm(Tamron17-50)

OldCrow
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2013
NC Foothills
Aug 15, 2016 10:43 |  #6

A quiet Saturday morning

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Don
---------------
Canon SX50, Pentax K30, Fuji S2950

Sibil
Goldmember
4,917 posts
Joined Jan 2009
SoCal
Aug 15, 2016 18:33 |  #7

Where did it go?
SL1

IMAGE: http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss67/Mirook/IMG_0326where.jpg

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Aug 15, 2016 21:24 |  #8

HOSTED PHOTO

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

rwmson
Joined Aug 2009
Cherry Hill, NJ USA
Aug 16, 2016 06:46 |  #9

HOSTED PHOTO
Canon 5D MK III
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
ISO 400, f11, bulb mode

a gobba gobba glass

darkslinger
Joined Mar 2011
surrey, british columbia
Aug 17, 2016 21:06 |  #10

HOSTED PHOTO

sandwedge
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2011
Atlanta, GA
Aug 21, 2016 18:40 |  #11

Thank you to everyone who entered this week's contest. I had a really tough time judging, since there were several nice shots. Considering it's the last day of the Olympics, we'll go with Gold, Silver, and Bronze:

Gold: Teekay's "In Full Force". This is one of the best long exposure shots of this type that I've seen. Definitely a wall-hanger.

Silver: In a very close second, Tom Reichner's shot of the helicopter fighting the flames. This is a very interesting shot and well composed. It must have been intense to watch this live.

Bronze: rwmson's splash shot. Very nice!

Thanks again for the entries.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/63710159@N07/ (external link)
http://www.DougMoon.sm​ugmug.com (external link)
80D, 7D, 5D, t2i, sx50, Sigma 150-600C, 100-400L, 70-200L II, 100mm Macro, Sigma 17-70, Sigma 50 1.4, Tamron 28-75, Tokina 11-20, Bower 8mm

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Aug 21, 2016 19:06 |  #12

Congrats, Teekay! That's some really awesome texture you've captured there!

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
6,577 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010
East Central IL
Aug 21, 2016 19:14 |  #13

Kudos, teekay. Very nicely done.

rwmson, that is a stellar shot. Love it.

Tom, what's the backstory behind your shot? Were you working the fire or just in the right (or wrong) place at the right time? Great shot, either way.

Mark J.
Gear

OldCrow
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2013
NC Foothills
Aug 21, 2016 19:14 |  #14

Congratulations to the medalists.

Don
---------------
Canon SX50, Pentax K30, Fuji S2950

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by Tom Reichner.
Aug 21, 2016 20:07 |  #15

M_Six wrote in post #18102110 (external link)
Tom, what's the backstory behind your shot? Were you working the fire or just in the right (or wrong) place at the right time? Great shot, either way.

I wasn't working the fire, as this was taken last season, and I just became a firefighter this season. But the pic was of the Okanogan Complex Fire, the largest wildfire in Washington state history. It came right to the edge of several towns, threatening many homes, many of which were lost to the flames. I myself was evicted and was unable to get back into my home for two days. The fire was a persistent threat to the local communities for a couple of weeks. This was the fire that inspired me to become a wildland firefighter.

As for the circumstances of the shot, this was on the first day of the fire; the day the winds swept the fire rapidly down from an area called "the Tunk" down into the hamlet of Riverside. Air attack was effective because the river was right there by the fire and heli crews were able to dip (or draw) very close to the flames, so that they were each able to douse the flames about 5 times every hour. With three choppers working the immediate area, this was a very effective attack and saved many homes.

As soon as I saw the heavy smoke to the north, I drove up to Riverside as quickly as I could, to get there before they could close the roads. I made it just in time, and was able to spend the next 3 or 4 hours traipsing about, trying to get to the best vantage points from which to photograph the flames. Most of the time the smoke was so heavy that I couldn't get a decent shot, so I just had to wait for shifting winds to momentarily clear the smoke and hope that there would be a shot available before the smoke filled the void.

I spent a lot of time trying to get down to the river so that I could get photos of the choppers dipping and drafting water..........but I now realize that was a mistake, as photos of the flames were actually much more dramatic and interesting. God only knows how many great fire shots I missed because I spent so much time getting permission to get onto the private ranchland near the river, finding a safe way down the steep riverbank, moving up or downstream to get a better angle, etc. I should've just stayed up above the floodplain and shot the fire instead. Lesson learned.

The next several days yielded some more good opportunities to shoot the fire - I was like a hurricane chaser but chasing fires instead of hurricanes - but none of the opportunities were as good as this one was, on the first evening of the fire. Overall I am pleased with the photos I was able to get, and I realize that I may never get a chance to photograph a wildfire like this again.

sponsored links

4,320 views & 27 likes for this thread
Digital Camera Speed Challenge #428 - Water
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.