Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 19 Aug 2016 (Friday) 22:56
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Parabolix - Just what I've been waiting for!

absplastic
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Bay Area, CA
Aug 19, 2016 22:56 |  #1

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

I've been longing for an affordable alternative to the Briese and Broncolor focusable parabolics since, well, forever. I've been using a Cheetahstand RB120, which I love, but I sometimes want the that punchy look that the focusable modifiers give. I'm especially thrilled to find that these Parabolix units are made right here in California!

I ordered the 55-incher and I can't wait to try it out! The reflector and focusing rod assembly came to a total of $993. Not bad at all! A Briese Focus 140 was not within my photography budget...

5DSR, 6D, 16-35/4L IS, 85L II, 100L macro, Sigma 150-600C
SL1, 10-18 STM, 18-55 STM, 40 STM, 50 STM
My (mostly) Fashion and Portraiture Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link) (NSFW)

sponsored links
Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Aug 19, 2016 23:19 |  #2

Was getting too excited too soon (finally something that's not Sinojunk), but alas...

Wake me up when they have adapters for Hensel.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Aug 19, 2016 23:46 |  #3

Hmm, just noticed they have a 'universal' adapter. Doesn't look as elegant as a dedicated one, but it might just suit the bill.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen

absplastic
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Bay Area, CA
Aug 20, 2016 00:01 |  #4

Alveric wrote in post #18100507 (external link)
Hmm, just noticed they have a 'universal' adapter. Doesn't look as elegant as a dedicated one, but it might just suit the bill.

Ha, yes, that's the first thing I asked about also, because they only have the nice cage style one for Profoto so far, and my lights are all Bowens S mount. They said that more dedicated adapters are on their to-do list, but there are technical challenges: the Profoto mount allows the light to slide in and out, but something like a Bowens speedring type mount might leave the flashtube too far recessed into the ring to work properly (light only shining towards the back, not out the sides where it needs to. Probably not an issue for lights with a frosted dome, but definitely for some that have just the bare ring-shaped flashtube.

Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Aug 20, 2016 00:06 as a reply to absplastic's post |  #5

On the other hand, I don't think I'd feel not anxious by having a 3-kilogram light hanging by its light-former retention brackets; so yea, their universal adapter might be the best solution after all, provided it's as sturdy and iron-gripped as they claim it to be. I'm definitely digging this parabolics now. Hopefully they'll keep manufacturing them in the US forever.

nixland
449 posts
Joined Apr 2009
Aug 20, 2016 06:37 |  #6

While I will likely get this new para, due to affordable price and I was a para modifiers enthusiast :), it will be more or less different from Broncolor para.

The interior surface of Parabolix is slightly pebbled. It will give more scattered light / less focused light than smoother surface.
But It doesn't mean its a bad thing. It might even give more pleasant look, as the guy from the Parabolic said in dpreview :

6) Reflective surface. Using a slightly "pebbled" reflective material does have the effect of producing micro-scattering of the light. This is actually a desirable effect. A true mirror-like reflective surface will produce very harsh lighting on skin and fabric. If you ever see fresnel lights being used on movie or TV sets, they are almost always used with some kind of diffusion paper to soften the light, for exactly this same reason. Truly focused light is like sunlight at noon on a clear day - very harsh, tricky to work with, and not the best option in most cases. Using either a pebbled reflective material, or a soft "matte" reflective material, is a better option.

https://www.dpreview.c​om/forums/thread/40153​51?page=4 (external link)

nixland
449 posts
Joined Apr 2009
Aug 20, 2016 06:40 |  #7

Depth comparison of Bron Para 88cm and Parabolix 35 (89cm)

HOSTED PHOTO

Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Aug 20, 2016 12:04 |  #8

Of course, before some of us pull out the already taxed credit card, we'll need to see actual images taken with these Parabolix things.

absplastic
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Bay Area, CA
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by absplastic.
Aug 20, 2016 13:22 as a reply to nixland's post |  #9

Parabolix's models are closer in shape to the Briese equivalents than to Broncolor's versions, but all 3 companies have a mix of very deep and more shallow paras, with different diameters having different aspect ratios.

The big deal here is that these are all true parabolas, not "kinda parabola shaped" imported softboxes that have been retrofit with focusing rods to (unsuccessfully) try to get the same effect (Selens/Cheetahstand, Cononmark, etc). I tried putting a flash head inside my Ricebowl 120, it does not quite focus the way the real thing does.

What Parabolix has managed to do is bring this tech down to the photo enthusiast price bracket. I don't know any self-employed photographers who can afford Briese systems; they are priced like Porsche 911s and generally only seen in huge studios or for rent. The Broncolor paras are substantially cheaper but still not accessible to most amateurs or small studios.

There are examples shot with the Parabolix modifiers on their Instagram feed. But the company is brand new, so you won't find too many other examples.

HOSTED PHOTO

ezzyz
Joined Jun 2010
Highland, California
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by ezzyz.
Sep 12, 2016 18:22 |  #10

HOSTED PHOTO

We got excited and went to LA to spend half a day at Parabolix' studio. I know that this is not an in-depth review of the Parabolix modifiers but I am very enthusiastic about the short time spent playing with these modifiers.

http://www.thebroketog​raphers.com ...lix-light-focusing-system (external link)

We do plan to run a comparison with our Broncolor Para in real world setting at a later date at the Parabolix studio.

EZRA
Gear List

nixland
449 posts
Joined Apr 2009
Sep 12, 2016 18:49 |  #11

ezzyz wrote in post #18125875 (external link)
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by ezzyz in
./showthread.php?p=181​25875&i=i245725714
forum: Flash and Studio Lighting

We got excited and went to LA to spend half a day at Parabolix' studio. I know that this is not an in-depth review of the Parabolix modifiers but I am very enthusiastic about the short time spent playing with these modifiers.

http://www.thebroketog​raphers.com ...lix-light-focusing-system (external link)

We do plan to run a comparison with our Broncolor Para in real world setting at a later date at the Parabolix studio.

By the way in the article you mentioned about Profoto B1.
Profoto B1 is not suitable for parabolic modifiers due to its strobe head design which send most of the light forward than to all direction. I am not sure if frosted dome can spread the light evenly. But let's your test results.

Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Sep 12, 2016 19:05 as a reply to nixland's post |  #12

Well, according to Profoto, their D1/B1/B2 design is fully bare-bulb-capable. I'm sceptical about that, hence I've deemed the B2 'glorified flashguns' in the past, but then again, I haven't played with their strobes myself.

@Ezzyz: aye, that Parabollix vs. Broncolor comparison would be quite neat indeed.

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2010
Chula Vista, CA
Sep 12, 2016 22:06 |  #13

I have no real use for it and no where to even store one, yet I feel that I must have one. . . . .. .

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Sep 12, 2016 22:15 as a reply to Scatterbrained's post |  #14

ROFL :lol:

absplastic
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Bay Area, CA
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by absplastic.
Sep 12, 2016 22:29 |  #15

nixland wrote in post #18125910 (external link)
By the way in the article you mentioned about Profoto B1.
Profoto B1 is not suitable for parabolic modifiers due to its strobe head design which send most of the light forward than to all direction. I am not sure if frosted dome can spread the light evenly. But let's your test results.

With the glass dome, they are still more directional than a bare flash tube, obvious if you pop the flash looking at in on-axis, vs 90 degrees off axis. The frosted dome is also going to be a much more diffuse source than a bare bulb. From what I've seen though, the D1/B1 seem to get the desired effect inside Broncolor Paras. It may not be exactly the same distribution or softness of light as with a bare flash tube, but I've never seen a side-by-side comparison.

I have the Parabolix 55" and deep 30" headed my way, and I'll be using them exclusively with the Flashpoint Xplor 600. I have the handheld extension head, which is what I plan to mount on the focusing rod, leaving the power pack at the base of the stand.

sponsored links

13,773 views & 3 likes for this thread
Parabolix - Just what I've been waiting for!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.