Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 22 Aug 2016 (Monday) 10:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2X Extender - good or bad?

dhornick
643 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Aug 22, 2016 10:47 |  #1

So I've read as many reviews as I can but I wanted as much feedback from here as possible.....I'm moving up from Crop to FF. One of the things I'm concerned about is losing the magnification from my crop sensor when using my 100-400 lens. But on the flip side I'm thinking about an 2X Extender.

I know about the loss of light, I know about having to double the shutter speed and I only use the 100-400 in daylight usually anyway so I don't see an issue with any of these issues.

Any other input????

Darrell
6D | 16-35mm f/4 L | 8-15mm Fisheye L | 24-105mm f/4L | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 100-400mm f/4.5 5.6L | Speedlights 430EX III, 600EX II RT & ST-E3-RT transmitter.
Flickr (external link)

Archibald
You must be quackers!
6,082 posts
Gallery: 178 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Aug 22, 2016 10:59 |  #2

dhornick wrote in post #18102616 (external link)
So I've read as many reviews as I can but I wanted as much feedback from here as possible.....I'm moving up from Crop to FF. One of the things I'm concerned about is losing the magnification from my crop sensor when using my 100-400 lens. But on the flip side I'm thinking about an 2X Extender.

I know about the loss of light, I know about having to double the shutter speed and I only use the 100-400 in daylight usually anyway so I don't see an issue with any of these issues.

Any other input????

It is not very clear from your post what your photographic goals are. Maybe you are experimenting. If so, go for it.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

dhornick
THREAD ­ STARTER
643 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Aug 22, 2016 12:13 as a reply to  @ Archibald's post |  #3

Well, I'm no professional that's for sure but, I do have professional gear moving up to the 5D MIII and several EF "L" lenses already on hand. 80 percent Landscapes, 10 percent Sports and 10 family candid and portraits. Obviously, I ask this about the 10 percent Sports shooting.

Darrell
6D | 16-35mm f/4 L | 8-15mm Fisheye L | 24-105mm f/4L | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 100-400mm f/4.5 5.6L | Speedlights 430EX III, 600EX II RT & ST-E3-RT transmitter.
Flickr (external link)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
12,674 posts
Gallery: 1080 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Feb 2013

Aug 22, 2016 12:38 |  #4

dhornick wrote in post #18102616 (external link)

Any other input????

So before you spend $2k on a camera and another couple hundred on a 2.0x TC, you might want to consider that your camera will not autofocus at F11 (F5.6 - > F8 -> F11 with 2.0x TC). If you're ok with Live View focus only, then it will work. Otherwise, the best you're going to do and keep autofocus is with a 1.4x TC (F8). You also lose considerable image quality using the 2.0x on the zoom.

Since this is for sports, where you want AF, the 2.0x TC is not going to work.

You might want to consider your real needs before you do all this just to end up with a solution that doesn't do what you're wanting as a goal.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)
For sale: Sekonic Litemaster L-478D (Free Shipping)

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Aug 22, 2016 14:46 |  #5

MalVeauX wrote in post #18102705 (external link)
So before you spend $2k on a camera and another couple hundred on a 2.0x TC, you might want to consider that your camera will not autofocus at F11 (F5.6 - > F8 -> F11 with 2.0x TC). If you're ok with Live View focus only, then it will work. Otherwise, the best you're going to do and keep autofocus is with a 1.4x TC (F8). You also lose considerable image quality using the 2.0x on the zoom.

Since this is for sports, where you want AF, the 2.0x TC is not going to work.

I was about to offer up this same advice. A 2x tele-converter has its place and advantages in certain situations, but it's not a focal length doubler without compromises. Your biggest challenges will be the fact that you cannot use AF and that a 2x teleconverter does not pair real well with the 100-400L Mark I, so IQ will be reduced.

Don't get me wrong, I own a 2x III teleconverter, but I only pair it with one lens and I only pair it wth that lens when I really, really need to.

Cheers,
Bryan

My Gear List

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,216 views & 4 likes for this thread
2X Extender - good or bad?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.