Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk
Thread started 22 Aug 2016 (Monday) 22:24
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

August, 2017 Total solar eclipse. Too soon to start planning?

ksbal
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
N.E. Kansas
Aug 15, 2017 13:46 as a reply to post 18428469 |  #121

I saw posted on an astro board that there is one over on the very edge, and it is large, and they are hoping it sticks around to be in the center for the eclipse.

YN622 English User Guide/Manual by Clive
https://drive.google.c​om ...Ig0gMMzZFaDVlZ1VNTE​0/view (external link)

sponsored links
gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,047 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Aug 15, 2017 14:09 |  #122

ksbal wrote in post #18428475 (external link)
I saw posted on an astro board that there is one over on the very edge, and it is large, and they are hoping it sticks around to be in the center for the eclipse.

Yea, I looked on the Kitt Peak (external link) site and it looks as if it's just rotating around now. In a few days it should be pretty well on the disk if it lasts.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,397 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007
Texas USA
Aug 15, 2017 14:18 |  #123

ksbal wrote in post #18428447 (external link)
Wide angle lenses may not have this problem, although I'm keeping a white t-shirt over that camera unless taking a picture as it will be pointed on a tripod at the sun too.

Its been interesting to read all the warnings for telescopes as well.. plastic eyepieces melting etc...

Clear skies everyone!

You could also build a temporary protective cover for your camera on a tripod like the ones in this image : http://www.scopestuff.​com/ss_tgrs1.jpg (external link)

Go to a local car parts store or Walmart and buy a windshield cover and make one .
https://www.walmart.co​m ...-Visor-UV-Block/848645371 (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Aug 15, 2017 14:23 |  #124

great US weather prediction map

https://digital.weathe​r.gov/ (external link)

choose "sky cover" from the top drop down menu and the date from the slider on the right.

at one point i found the definition for each prediction map but don't have the time to find it right now. Notice though that you pretty much don't see zero on the longer range maps. If I remember it is some kind of average over time.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

gjl711
53,047 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Aug 15, 2017 14:42 |  #125

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18428508 (external link)
great US weather prediction map

https://digital.weathe​r.gov/ (external link)

choose "sky cover" from the top drop down menu and the date from the slider on the right.

at one point i found the definition for each prediction map but don't have the time to find it right now. Notice though that you pretty much don't see zero on the longer range maps. If I remember it is some kind of average over time.

Nice site. It's looking pretty clear for the whole path. My prime site is showing %22. My luck the 22% will be right over the sun at totality. :(

napolar
259 posts
Joined Apr 2004
Franklin, TN
Post has been edited 2 months ago by napolar.
Aug 15, 2017 19:39 as a reply to gjl711's post |  #126

As of today 40% cloud cover on the 21st, today was 74% and I was able to get clear shots at the sun! Thanks for the link, will keep an eye on it as the day approaches...

Art
7D & 20D
Tamron 28-75 F2.8
Canon 70 - 200 F4 L
P.O.T.N Op-Tech Strap

gjl711
53,047 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Aug 15, 2017 22:30 |  #127

Link (external link) to very nice detailed map of eclipse path.

amairphoto
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
Las Vegas
Aug 16, 2017 15:49 |  #128

Just got this from Amazon

We’re writing to provide you with important safety information about the eclipse products you purchased on Amazon for Zacx Shade 14 Sun Viewing Goggles - CE Certified, Adjustable One Size Fits All, Better Than Glasses).

To protect your eyes when viewing the sun or an eclipse, NASA and the American Astronomical Society (AAS) advise you to use solar eclipse glasses or other solar filters from recommended manufacturers. Viewing the sun or an eclipse using any other glasses or filters could result in loss of vision or permanent blindness.

Amazon has not received confirmation from the supplier of your order that they sourced the item from a recommended manufacturer. We recommend that you DO NOT use this product to view the sun or the eclipse.

Amazon is applying a balance for the purchase price to Your Account (please allow 7-10 days for this to appear on Your Account). There is no need for you to return the product. You can view your available balance and activity here:

My Website: http://www.amairphoto.​com (external link)
flickr (external link)

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,397 posts
Joined Jun 2007
Texas USA
Aug 16, 2017 15:57 |  #129

Yep , already been mentioned about fake solar glasses sold on Amazon . Don't use them is what I suggest also .

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,397 posts
Joined Jun 2007
Texas USA
Aug 16, 2017 16:00 |  #130

http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​481448

sponsored links

11,869 views & 23 likes for this thread
August, 2017 Total solar eclipse. Too soon to start planning?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.