Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Motorsports Talk
Thread started 24 Aug 2016 (Wednesday) 07:29
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Indycar camera/lens restrictions?

ShadowHillsPhoto
Joined Aug 2015
Schoharie, NY
Aug 24, 2016 07:29 |  #1

I'm going out for the race at the Glen and was wondering what people's experiences are bringing high end gear to Indycar events as a spectator. At IMSA events at the Glen and Lime Rock I can walk around with a 300/2.8 and 600/4 and nobody bats an eye. Wasn't sure if Indycar was more restrictive, and I didn't turn up an official policy on their website.

I'm not sure I even want to bring my gear with me, I haven't been to an Indycar event since before Tony George tried to destroy open wheel racing in North America, so I may just go and enjoy myself without camera equipment. If I do decide to bring some gear it would be nice to know if I can get it through the gate though.

sponsored links
jcturn1
Joined Feb 2008
Camby, Indiana
Aug 24, 2016 09:52 |  #2

Not sure about the Glen, but at Indianapolis fans have no camera or lens restrictions. Hope you enjoy the race.

Big_Tyke
80 posts
Joined Feb 2010
Aug 25, 2016 03:49 |  #3

To be sure and save time, why not just call them or check out their website. Otherwise, you will or might just get Best Guess. Best to know ahead and print the page(s) from their link as most security check staff might not be up to speed on Camera Gear protocol, unless you have a media pass.

camaronut502
Joined Sep 2007
Birmingham, AL
Aug 25, 2016 14:50 |  #4

I've never seen an issue at an Indy race

Follow me on Instagram @speed_realm_photograp​hy
www.speedrealmphotogra​phy.com (external link)

CanonCameraFan
Goldmember
1,584 posts
Joined Sep 2011
Annapolis Maryland
Aug 27, 2016 19:28 |  #5

Baltimore had no restrictions. it gave me reason to buy the 70-300 L. :)

EOS 7D w/BG-E7 (3), 550EX (3), 430EX II, Sunpak 622 Pro, Vivitar 285HV, Opteka 6.5mm/3.5, Canon EF-S 24/2.8 STM, Canon EF 50/1.8 STM, Canon EF 100mm/2.0 USM, Canon EF 70-300mm/4-5.6 L IS USM, Quantums 1 & 1+, Tamrac 614 Bag & 787 Backpack, Crumpler 7 MDH, 6 MDH
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/johnebersole/se​ts/ (external link)

ShadowHillsPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2015
Schoharie, NY
Aug 27, 2016 19:36 |  #6

Thanks everyone, sounds like it shouldn't be a problem.

Big_Tyke wrote in post #18105485 (external link)
To be sure and save time, why not just call them or check out their website. Otherwise, you will or might just get Best Guess. Best to know ahead and print the page(s) from their link as most security check staff might not be up to speed on Camera Gear protocol, unless you have a media pass.

I did check their website as I mentioned in my first post. Calling someone is no guarantee, the type of person you are likely to get on a customer service line wouldn't know a 600mm f/4 lens if they tripped over it. I know that the track doesn't have a policy because of past events I've attended there, and based on the experiences of people in this thread Indycar isn't imposing any restrictions either.

mikeinctown
Goldmember
1,961 posts
Joined May 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Dec 22, 2016 12:35 |  #7

I know this is an old thread, but I went to the Indy car race at Mid Ohio this year with my new to me 1dx and my Sigma 150-600. The inside the barrier professionals had a lot of 500mm lenses and pro bodies. The spectators outside the fence 5 feet further away had a TON of 100-400II lenses as well as the 300 and 400mm lenses and the same pro bodies. The good shots I got were either at nearly 500mm or at around 300mm with a lot of cropping involved. The biggest thing to worry about is a combo that can AF fast and accurately.

Canon EOS 1D X | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM | Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | C |

K ­ Soze
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
Dec 22, 2016 13:17 |  #8

Indy car and Nascar are only restrictive with video gear or shooting video at the Glen. I have seen fans with Canon's great whites at all of these events. Never a problem. Pro and semi pro video is a different story. They are restrictive for the credentialed photogs shooting video too. Indy Car and NASCAR make too much money off of the TV rights.

I try to make art by pushing buttons

Jethr0
Joined Aug 2012
ON, Canada
Dec 26, 2016 11:50 |  #9

You'll want to read here:

http://www.theglen.com ...Info/Carry-In-Policy.aspx (external link)

www.jefflowe.ca (external link)
Instagram: https://www.instagram.​com/jefflowe.ca (external link)

aphphoto
422 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Jan 03, 2017 15:35 |  #10

ShadowHillsPhoto wrote in post #18104492 (external link)
I'm going out for the race at the Glen and was wondering what people's experiences are bringing high end gear to Indycar events as a spectator. At IMSA events at the Glen and Lime Rock I can walk around with a 300/2.8 and 600/4 and nobody bats an eye. Wasn't sure if Indycar was more restrictive, and I didn't turn up an official policy on their website.

I'm not sure I even want to bring my gear with me, I haven't been to an Indycar event since before Tony George tried to destroy open wheel racing in North America, so I may just go and enjoy myself without camera equipment. If I do decide to bring some gear it would be nice to know if I can get it through the gate though.

No restrictions from Indycar but ISC tracks have a policy against monopods - collapsible or not - in the grandstands. Whether it will be enforced on any given day is another matter entirely - and will probably vary with the individual guard or guest services person.

who gives a rat crap how much gear you can list?

sponsored links

2,199 views & 0 likes for this thread
Indycar camera/lens restrictions?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Motorsports Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.