Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Fashion, Editorial & Commercial
Thread started 25 Aug 2016 (Thursday) 19:35
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Commercial Product Photography Help

jdm2lpm
59 posts
Joined Jun 2010
Ashburn, VA
Aug 25, 2016 19:35 |  #1

My wife recently started a home business selling custom homemade paper wreaths. She spends hours and hours creating quality wreaths worth $100+. I am in charge of the photos and posting them online. The photos I create are not doing my wife's wreaths justice.

I have a Canon 5D Classic (No flash) with a nifty fifty. I do not have any other photography equipment. Can someone suggest how I can capture higher quality commercial looking photos? I do not have a lot of money, so I cannot purchase high end equipment, but I would love to hear suggestions.

My wife creates 8”, 10”, 22”, and 28” wreaths. Please Help!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Josh McKinney
Gear: Canon 5D Classic with a Nifty Fifty

sponsored links
jdm2lpm
THREAD ­ STARTER
59 posts
Joined Jun 2010
Ashburn, VA
Aug 25, 2016 19:37 |  #2

other wreaths

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Josh McKinney

sorpa
Joined May 2007
Montréal
Aug 25, 2016 19:44 |  #3

Put some money into a tripod. Even a cheap one would help a lot. And a release.
Use natural light.
Last one is out of focus. Badly.

jdm2lpm
THREAD ­ STARTER
59 posts
Joined Jun 2010
Ashburn, VA
Aug 25, 2016 20:05 as a reply to sorpa's post |  #4

Thank you for the advice!

Josh McKinney

jdm2lpm
THREAD ­ STARTER
59 posts
Joined Jun 2010
Ashburn, VA
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by jdm2lpm.
Aug 25, 2016 21:51 |  #5

I am think about creating a 15"x15" red pallet to put behind the small Wreaths. Does anyone know of any flash setups I can use with a Canon 5D. Would a light box work?

Josh McKinney

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2010
Chula Vista, CA
Aug 25, 2016 22:09 |  #6

If all you're looking to do is take pictures of these wreaths you can get away with continuous lighting. A clamp light with a 200w bulb shining through a white sheet of paper will give plenty of light for what you are doing. Having a tripod will help to get good, crisp shots. You can even go to Lowe's and pick up a 4x8' "brick wall" to use as a background.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

PhotosGuy
74,726 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Aug 25, 2016 23:39 |  #7

#2 looks like you have two different light sources because the left side is warm & the right side is cooler.
Try going outside & shooting in the open shade of your home. Use the white balance or a custom white balance (better). This should give you enough light to shoot without a tripod, even light, & no different coloration.
Adjust the ISO so that you can shoot at at least 125 sec & f/8. Then show us the result.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Aug 26, 2016 00:17 |  #8

I'd also not hang them on the white wall, but at least a fathom away from it: the shadow cast by the wreath is unappealing.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

PhotosGuy
74,726 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Aug 26, 2016 01:14 |  #9

Alveric wrote in post #18106687 (external link)
I'd also not hang them on the white wall, but at least a fathom away from it: the shadow cast by the wreath is unappealing.

Especially the 2 shadows in #2. ; )

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

farmer1957
Joined Jul 2012
nevada
Aug 27, 2016 01:48 |  #10

Set your F stop to some where close to f 9 to f 11
Set your white balance to a custom White balance and buy a 18 % gray card .

It might help if you were tethered on you focusing issue .

Hang the wreath and use nothing for a back bro[p except darkness.
But this takes room and control of your lighting .
In some cases a few LED flash lights with tissue paper rubber banded over the flash lights lens will work .

Best book I have I bought to help in my product photography in Light science and magic .

You could also consider a technic called light painting.

jdm2lpm
THREAD ­ STARTER
59 posts
Joined Jun 2010
Ashburn, VA
Aug 27, 2016 21:25 |  #11

Thank you for all of your suggestions; I will try them this week and post more pictures.

Josh McKinney

battletone
Joined Sep 2009
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by battletone. 2 edits done in total.
Aug 28, 2016 11:19 |  #12

Put a white sheet over large window, put the wreath somewhat perpendicular to it, and get a white foamboard as a bounce, or get a dedicated bounce($30), to be placed opposite the window. Get a whibal card for $20.

$20-50 will step up your game 10 fold.

Cameras: 5D Mark IV, EOS 3, Elan 7
Lenses:15mm 2.8 fisheye, 16-35mm 2.8L II, 50mm 1.2L, 85mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8L, 70-200L II IS
Tripod: Gitzo GT2531, Arca-Swiss Z1, RRS PC-LR
Lights: Photogenic PL1250 x2, 1500SL x1, Canon 580ex, YN 568ex II

nikki-s
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Oct 2016
Oct 26, 2016 04:01 |  #13

My daughter and i recently also got into Product photography as well. Like somebody else suggested. A tripod would be a super investment..there is quite a huge affordable number on Amazon. The images have to always be simply breath taking when it comes to Product photography because the presentation of everything plays a huge role on whether your clients will be purchasing or not. There are so many factors that affect Product photography, other than the images we also have to have knowledge on rational or emotional buying motives of your targeted clients. My daughter shared this with me https://www.1and1.com ...hy-for-your-online-store/ (external link) i think the article summarises other aspects on how to actually make it work in a rather easy to read guide. Good luck, we are just starting out too :)

F2Bthere
705 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Dec 15, 2016 23:29 |  #14

Much good advice already.

As has been said, get a tripod.

With moving subjects, you might need flash, but for products, you can take very long exposures if you have a tripod. You can even take pictures in a dark room and paint in the image with a flashlight if you wanted to (probably more complicated than you want to do, just pointing out the kind of flexibility you have with a tripod).

The easiest way to go is to have a single source of light (could be a window or a light you create) and then do everything else by reflecting light back using white or silver surfaces. You can also use black surfaces to "take away" light. You can use foam core, cardboard, sheets of paper, tin foil (a little wrinkled is usually better). You don't need to spend much. But you do need to see what looks good. You need to focus properly. You will usually want to have a fairly small aperture Start with f11. Use a low ISO setting, say 200. With the tripod, your shutter speed can be as slow as you need to a point.

Shoot RAW to give yourself flexibility.

https://www.instagram.​com/storyinpictures_co​m/ (external link)

rejay14
Joined Mar 2009
St. Catharines, Ontario
Jan 18, 2017 00:40 |  #15

You need a flash, hands-down. Fire it from behind the subject food, get any type of silver or white reflector to bounce back into the shadows. It'll be awesome ;)

1DX Mark II, 5D Mark IV, 40D,Rebel XT :lol:, 70-200L 2.8 IS II, 100-400L IS II,24-105 II L, 100mmL 2.8 IS, 16-35L 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8L II, Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art, Sekonic 758DR, Pixma 9500 II, Pixma 9000 II, Think Tank Airport Accelerator v2.0, Canon 600EX-RT x 5, Profoto B1 Kit with too many modifiers http://...www.PrestigePhotoPro.c​om (external link) Portfolio (external link)
Concert Photography (external link)

sponsored links

3,579 views & 2 likes for this thread
Commercial Product Photography Help
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Fashion, Editorial & Commercial

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.