Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Motorsports Talk
Thread started 02 Sep 2016 (Friday) 15:41
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Thinking about renting a Canon 400mm f/5.6 L for a motorcycle race

grphx
724 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Oklahoma
Sep 02, 2016 15:41 |  #1

I normally shoot with a Canon 6D and a Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L non-is. I always shoot in f/4 though because I find the DOF of 2.8 too shallow to make the entire motorcycle and rider sharp. I'm not afraid to go higher with the f/stop either beacuse the race I shoot at is from 10a-5p... plenty of sunlight.

* I mainly shoot at the full 200mm and sometimes I feel like I wish I had a little bit more zoom in some spots.
* I mainly shoot in Av mode and have it set to f/4, obviously changing to Tv mode for panning and certain shots where I want tirespin blur to be a thing.
* The racers I shoot are riding supermoto bikes(think dirt bikes with street tires) and they race a mixture of on a gokart track and there is an offroad section that looks like a mini motocross track

Anybody shoot motorsports(motorcycle racing in particular) with this lens? It seems like it might be a dated lens with no IS and older technology, so I'm wondering if it will feel like a beater compared to my 70-200mm.

Canon 50D, 6D
Canon 70-200mm f/2.8, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8
www.jarcophoto.com (external link)

sponsored links
Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Sep 02, 2016 15:52 |  #2

if you're just renting, i'd go with the 100-400 MkII

modern IS will be nice with what you are trying to accomplish.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Echo63
Goldmember
2,855 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Perth - Western Australia - Earth
Sep 09, 2016 20:49 |  #3

Its been a long time since i used that specific lens, but i have shot Supermoto (i had track access, so i went with a 70-200)

Just to give you an idea of the field of view you will be limited to, on your 70-200 at 200mm, a 400 will have a FOV equivalent to 1/4 of the 200mm frame.
Have a look through you body at 200mm And a 400mm frame will be the size of from the centre AF point to the corner of frame

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​comexternal link
Gear listhttp://photography-on-the.net ...p?p=2463426&postcou​nt=385

Road ­ Dog
Joined Jul 2014
St. Augustine, Florida
Sep 17, 2016 11:12 |  #4

If you're renting, based on what you wrote, I'd recommend the 100-400mm.

You said "I feel like I wish I had a little bit more zoom in some spots." Well, get that zoom. The 400mm f/5.6 will give you that reach, but what about the range between 200mm and 400mm?

Now, with that said, I rented the 400mm f/5.6 some years back to shoot a surfing contest in California. I fell in love with that lens; stellar results...

Just shut up and smile...
My Current Line-Up

DWimages
Joined May 2005
Northern California
Oct 31, 2016 01:31 |  #5

INHO instead of renting a lens might I suggest you rent a Canon 7D Mark II with the grip and a 1.4 convert or. This setup will allow you to get a better selection of images while shooting Supermoto. My suggestion is based on my 16 years shooting the Supermoto USA series. I've used the 1D Mark 2 to what I use now which is the Canon 1Dx with a Canon 70-200 2.8L is series 2 and a 1.4TC . It works quite well and I'm not lugging 2 lenses around all day. There are examples via my website below where there is a link to my event site which has several race weekends on it.

Mike D.
www.mikedoranphotograp​hy.com (external link)
Sonoma Raceway Staff Photographer

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,871 posts
Joined Oct 2005
Oct 31, 2016 18:24 |  #6

Motorcycle race image at 400mm from a non-stabilized Tokina 80-400mm lens to demonstrate roughly what you can expect.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
Distance to subject and desired framing determines the necessary focal length. Sometimes 400mm will not be long enough. Focal length will be more important than stabilization.

grphx wrote in post #18114832 (external link)
I normally shoot with a Canon 6D and a Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L non-is. I always shoot in f/4 though because I find the DOF of 2.8 too shallow to make the entire motorcycle and rider sharp. I'm not afraid to go higher with the f/stop either beacuse the race I shoot at is from 10a-5p... plenty of sunlight.

* I mainly shoot at the full 200mm and sometimes I feel like I wish I had a little bit more zoom in some spots.
* I mainly shoot in Av mode and have it set to f/4, obviously changing to Tv mode for panning and certain shots where I want tirespin blur to be a thing.
* The racers I shoot are riding supermoto bikes(think dirt bikes with street tires) and they race a mixture of on a gokart track and there is an offroad section that looks like a mini motocross track

Anybody shoot motorsports(motorcycle racing in particular) with this lens? It seems like it might be a dated lens with no IS and older technology, so I'm wondering if it will feel like a beater compared to my 70-200mm.

3Rotor
757 posts
Joined May 2009
Oklahoma
Jan 09, 2017 16:39 |  #7

I'm another in the 100-400 group. The flexibility and range of this lens is superb. The 400 is very limiting unless you know where you'll be shooting from at all times.

JESSEMAK.COM (external link)

Road ­ Dog
Joined Jul 2014
St. Augustine, Florida
Jan 13, 2017 09:37 |  #8

I rented that lens to shoot a surfing competition a few years ago and really liked it.

That said, though, I'd have to side with the 100-400mm crowd. Give yourself that flexibility...

Just shut up and smile...
My Current Line-Up

grphx
THREAD ­ STARTER
724 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Oklahoma
Apr 04, 2017 15:23 |  #9

DWimages wrote in post #18171696 (external link)
INHO instead of renting a lens might I suggest you rent a Canon 7D Mark II with the grip and a 1.4 convert or. This setup will allow you to get a better selection of images while shooting Supermoto. My suggestion is based on my 16 years shooting the Supermoto USA series. I've used the 1D Mark 2 to what I use now which is the Canon 1Dx with a Canon 70-200 2.8L is series 2 and a 1.4TC . It works quite well and I'm not lugging 2 lenses around all day. There are examples via my website below where there is a link to my event site which has several race weekends on it.

I don't know if I would be able to give up the awesome quality my 6D gives. I don't know if it's because I went from an old 50D to a 6D, or the fact I went from crop body to full frame but the sharpness, color, lights/darks range and just overall feel of the 6D makes me never want to go to a crop body. That being said, I understand why you recommend a crop body to get more range.

That being said I'll probably go get a 100-400mm or a TC whenever it's time to spend some money to make some money.

Canon 50D, 6D
Canon 70-200mm f/2.8, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8
www.jarcophoto.com (external link)

Latebraking
Joined Feb 2014
SoCal
Apr 12, 2017 01:21 |  #10

I have a 100-400 MkII, and was using it extensively on my 1DXMKII For the Long Beach Grand Prix. I hand held all my shots with it, and while the keeper rate would have been higher on a monopod, the ratio was more than acceptable, and I got plenty of excellent images. If I put that lens on the 7DII, the reach is extended a bit. As long as light levels don't dip too much, image quality won't be an issue.

1DX MKII, 5D MKIII gripped (FOR SALE), 7DMKII gripped, 16-35 f2.8L ISII, 24-70 f2.8L ISII, 70-200 f2.8L ISII, 2x extender, 50mm f1.8, 100-400 f3.5-5.6 ISII (2) 600 EX-RTs, ST-E3-RT

sponsored links

2,627 views & 1 like for this thread
Thinking about renting a Canon 400mm f/5.6 L for a motorcycle race
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Motorsports Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.