Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 08 Sep 2016 (Thursday) 02:14
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS II with 2x EF Extender III

CyberEye21
42 posts
Joined Sep 2016
Post has been edited 7 months ago by CyberEye21.
Sep 08, 2016 02:14 |  #1

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if the Canon EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM is a good combination with the Canon 2X EF Extender III. I read a thread on Canon Community that seemed to suggest it wouldn't be a good combination because it pushes the lens beyond autofocusing capability. The sales rep at Best Buy assured me that it was compatible and a good combination. So I went ahead an ordered the parts and have 2 weeks to try it out and return it if I'd like. The rep also told me that adding an extender would not compromise image quality. Come to find out that wasn't exactly accurate. Can anyone give me some helpful advice here? BYW, the camera body I'm using is the EOS 7D Mark II (G).

Thanks

sponsored links
Larry ­ Weinman
Goldmember
1,392 posts
Joined Jul 2006
Sep 08, 2016 07:27 |  #2

It won't AF on a 7D Mark II or any other Canon body. I have never tried it but I am sure there would be some image quality lost using a 2X TC on this lens.

7D Mark II 6D 100mm f 2.8 macro 180mm f 3.5 macro, MP-E-65 300mm f 2.8 500mm f4 Tokina 10-17mm fisheye 10-22mm 17-55mm 24-105mm 70-300mm 70-200 f 2.8 Mk II 100-400mm Mk II 1.4 TCIII 2X TCIII 580EX II 430 EX II MT 24 EX Tamron 150-600

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
Joined Jan 2010
Florida
Sep 08, 2016 09:03 |  #3

I doesn't degrade image quality to speak of. That is, unless, like many do, you're going to examine it under a magnifying glass. But focus is a mother. I can't remember the last time I used the 2X. I would pass on it if I were you.

I originally got it to use with my 70-200 2.8 but it slowed AF to a crawl...completely useless. So I got the 100-400 II.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob

LJ3Jim
645 posts
Joined Jan 2012
Pacific Northwest
Post has been edited 7 months ago by LJ3Jim.
Sep 08, 2016 10:48 |  #4

CyberEye21 wrote in post #18120666 (external link)
Hi,

Can anyone tell me if the Canon EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM is a good combination with the Canon 2X EF Extender III. I read a thread on Canon Community that seemed to suggest it wouldn't be a good combination because it pushes the lens beyond autofocusing capability. The sales rep at Best Buy assured me that it was compatible and a good combination. So I went ahead an ordered the parts and have 2 weeks to try it out and return it if I'd like. The rep also told me that adding an extender would not compromise image quality. Come to find out that wasn't exactly accurate. Can anyone give me some helpful advice here? BYW, the camera body I'm using is the EOS 7D Mark II (G).

Thanks

Welcome to the forum! First of all, the 100-400 II is a fabulous lens. You will enjoy it very much. Second, it won't focus with the 2x extender except in Live View, and even that doesn't work very well. However, on your 7D2, you can use the 1.4x extender and get auto focusing at the center focus point. I've taken many pictures using that combination. Image quality is excellent. I think if you return the 2x extender and get the 1.4x, you'll be very satisfied.

An example (7D2 + 1.4x III + 100-400 II):

IMAGE: http://www.lj3.com/misc/eagle_1.jpg

Image editing ok; C&C always welcome.

Ray.Petri
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2005
North Kent UK
Sep 08, 2016 21:46 |  #5

LJ3Jim wrote in post #18121036 (external link)
Welcome to the forum! First of all, the 100-400 II is a fabulous lens. You will enjoy it very much. Second, it won't focus with the 2x extender except in Live View, and even that doesn't work very well. However, on your 7D2, you can use the 1.4x extender and get auto focusing at the center focus point. I've taken many pictures using that combination. Image quality is excellent. I think if you return the 2x extender and get the 1.4x, you'll be very satisfied.

An example (7D2 + 1.4x III + 100-400 II):
QUOTED IMAGE

Hi guys, I was going to pose a similar comment. I use similar combination to you Jim, with a mk2 1.4x Canon extender - not mk3. I am not overjoyed with the results and was wondering if the mk3 extender would give improved sharpness/contrast. It seems the mk2 needs more light to achieve contrast. It seems better to use that excellent lens without the 1.4x and crop the image. Mind you I got a few good shots with it at distances less than 200yds. I do a lot of shipping shots at about 1 to 3 miles.
Question is - will the mk3 1.4x perform better than my mk3 1.4x in similar circumstances?

Ray-P

LJ3Jim
645 posts
Joined Jan 2012
Pacific Northwest
Sep 09, 2016 07:09 as a reply to Ray.Petri's post |  #6

I don't have any experience with the mk2 extenders.

Image editing ok; C&C always welcome.

Larry ­ Weinman
Goldmember
1,392 posts
Joined Jul 2006
Sep 09, 2016 07:29 |  #7

Ray.Petri wrote in post #18121722 (external link)
Hi guys, I was going to pose a similar comment. I use similar combination to you Jim, with a mk2 1.4x Canon extender - not mk3. I am not overjoyed with the results and was wondering if the mk3 extender would give improved sharpness/contrast. It seems the mk2 needs more light to achieve contrast. It seems better to use that excellent lens without the 1.4x and crop the image. Mind you I got a few good shots with it at distances less than 200yds. I do a lot of shipping shots at about 1 to 3 miles.
Question is - will the mk3 1.4x perform better than my mk3 1.4x in similar circumstances?

I think you meant will the Mark III perform better then the Mark II. I have both extenders and the answer is yes. It really makes a difference on a Mark II 100-400.

7D Mark II 6D 100mm f 2.8 macro 180mm f 3.5 macro, MP-E-65 300mm f 2.8 500mm f4 Tokina 10-17mm fisheye 10-22mm 17-55mm 24-105mm 70-300mm 70-200 f 2.8 Mk II 100-400mm Mk II 1.4 TCIII 2X TCIII 580EX II 430 EX II MT 24 EX Tamron 150-600

Lbsimon
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Boston, MA
Sep 09, 2016 11:51 |  #8

If we are talking about the 1.4x TC, there is noticable improvement when using the III against the II with the 100-400II lens. I have not noticed any improvement when using the 70-200 f4 IS.

I have no experience with the 2x TC, and I don't think I would want to use it with the 100-400II as the loss of AF would be a problem for what I shoot - birds and wildlife.

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,016 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Post has been last edited 7 months ago by John Sheehy. 2 edits done in total.
Sep 09, 2016 12:07 |  #9

CyberEye21 wrote in post #18120666 (external link)
Hi,

You can AF in Liveview, but the 7D2 will not AF with that combo with phase-detect in OVF mode, even if you trick it with tape or a non-reporting TC. It may try when tricked, but it will fail miserably.

As far as "Image quality" is concerned, TCs always soften the "image" a bit, and increase noise in the "image" due to a higher ISO most likely used, but "IQ" is irrelevant, IMO.

I use TCs for "SQ" or "Subject quality". Comparing a sharp "image" of an object surrounded by grass to a softer one where the subject is using 4x as many pixel doesn't make any sense, because they aren't the same image. The real comparison would be taking a crop from 1/4 the area of the sharp image without the TC, and resampling it to 200%, and then comparing, and if you do that right, the TC will have more detail than the crop. Relative to the size of the subject, color resolution will be higher, and the blur of the anti-aliasing filter will be smaller.

CyberEye21
THREAD ­ STARTER
42 posts
Joined Sep 2016
Sep 09, 2016 13:25 |  #10

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I just received the extender 2x extender in the mail yesterday and will take it back to the store unopened in order to exchange for a 1.4x.

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,016 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Post has been edited 7 months ago by John Sheehy.
Sep 09, 2016 14:49 |  #11

CyberEye21 wrote in post #18122423 (external link)
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I just received the extender 2x extender in the mail yesterday and will take it back to the store unopened in order to exchange for a 1.4x.

That's a good decision if you don't like manual focus and don't plan to use it in Liveview. Thanks for not opening it. I hate buying something "new" that seems like it has already been opened.

Ray.Petri
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2005
North Kent UK
Sep 13, 2016 05:33 as a reply to Lbsimon's post |  #12

Tks Lbsimon. Can you tell me - is the improvement between the 1.4 mk2 and mk3 in image quality or functionality - or both image quality and functionality?

I am using both 7D2 the 100-400L IS Mk2 and love it - it is a completely different animal from the Mk1. I sometimes think - do I need the 70-200L f2.8 IS Mk2 now - except that I might be losing out on the f2.8's DOF. Please don't take my last afterthought too seriously. Now seriously thinking about swiping my card in the machine for a 5DS-R.

Just waiting for the 24-105 f4 IS Mk2 - on pre-order.

Thanks for your comment.

Ray-P

Lbsimon
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Boston, MA
Sep 13, 2016 17:11 as a reply to Ray.Petri's post |  #13

I am not sure what you mean by "functionality". The IQ improvements is noticeable slightly, but only with the new 100-400. I did not see any difference with the 70-200 f4 IS.

Ray.Petri
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2005
North Kent UK
Sep 14, 2016 01:03 as a reply to Lbsimon's post |  #14

Hi Simon - Functionality - Probably not the best choice of words - but according to the specification the 1.4x Mk3 adaptor is supposed to have better communication with the lens/camera - I was just wondering if it was worth going for the Mk3. Some people seem reasonably happy with it. (Some people would be happy with anything, though) The 1.4x Mk2 is giving better results with new 100-400L Mk2 than the previous 1.4x Mk1 version.

Ray-P

nero_design
Joined Nov 2012
Sydney, Australia
Mar 15, 2017 05:57 |  #15

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
IBIS at the local Park. Location: Parramatta, NSW Australia - Taken in JPEG - uncropped.
Canon EOS 6D + EF 100-400mm f/4.6-5.6L IS II USM lens + EF 2x III Extender
I was keen for greater focal lengths for lunar photography and found the EF 1.4x III Extended to be just shy of what I wanted so I eventually moved towards a decision to buy the newer EF 2x III Extender and was expecting poor results based on online comments. One author encouraged photographers to simply ignore negative comments they may have read online. And it appears he was right. The first thing that surprised me was how much detail the 100-400mmL II lens was able to capture with this extender. I think all the negative reviews tended to related to the older Mark 2 Extenders coupled with lenses that were 200mm or less. And the 2x Extender was designed for longer zooms (ideally over 300mm).
I realized that I could only use the Auto Focus (using the EOS 6D) when utilizing Live View via the LCD screen on the back of the camera. Another alternative was to use the Manual Focus option. Canon says that AF speed will be reduced by 75% in order to increase accuracy... but it actually seemed much slower than 75%... more like 300%. I'm sure it was just my imagination but this lens (unaided) is VERY fast by itself. For photographing non-moving objects or stationary animals, the Extenders work just fine. The EF 1.4x III is said by Canon to be just 50% slower although I have only used this on my mirrorless EOS-M camera during testing and it was indeed faster than the 2x. For ducks paddling around in the water it was almost impossible to snap them using the 2x III Extender ... until I started to rotate the focus dial on the lens with the tip of a finger from the hand I was using to hold the camera. It enabled me to move the focus towards the direction I needed the AF to head towards. I think that for those not wanting to shell out $14K for a more expensive lens offering 800mm, then this is an ideal solution. I would not use this Extender on my lens every day but it's small enough to carry around.
HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
My favorite Lizard - a large, male Eastern Water Dragon. Location: Parramatta, NSW Australia - Taken in JPEG - uncropped.
Canon EOS 6D + EF 100-400mm f/4.6-5.6L IS II USM lens + EF 2x III Extender
I found that whilst the Mark II Extenders were able to be stacked together, Canon have changed the design of the Mark III Extenders in a way that prevents them from stacking. However, if you want to use the 1.4x III and the 2x III Extenders together to get even more zoom, you can. You will need to source the Canon ETEF 12II Extension Tube... which is around $100 or more. This is normally used to reduce focus distances from a lens to a subject (often for macro work) but it can be sandwiched between the two Extenders. If you place the 2x Extender on the lens and the 1.4x Extender on the Camera, you can then fit the whole array together by placing the small Canon ETEF 12II Extension Tube between the extenders. You won't be able to focus your 100-400mm lens at 100mm but you WILL be able to achieve AF at 400mm. Canon do not recommend mounting two Extenders together for technical reasons relating to image quality and AF reliability. The results I achieved were very good. I'll try to post an example below...

sponsored links

3,234 views & 13 likes for this thread
EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS II with 2x EF Extender III
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.