Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 08 Sep 2016 (Thursday) 02:14
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS II with 2x EF Extender III

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
Joined Jul 2005
Sydney, Australia
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Choderboy.
Mar 15, 2017 06:16 |  #16

I found a Sigma EX APO DG 2X is just slightly better than a Canon 2X TCIII. Slightly sharper, slightly more contrast.

Full image

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8890/18185219581_f1bc718804_o.jpg

Crop

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8810/17563464983_29d9434749_o.jpg

With Sigma 2X and EF 1.4TCII: (3411 pixel wide crop of 4896 pixels original)
IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/409/18750603893_a638d518f9_o.jpg

Dave
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/12185187@N00/ (external link)
1D4, 1DS2, 7D2. Canon, Sigma lenses

sponsored links
nero_design
Joined Nov 2012
Sydney, Australia
Post has been edited 1 month ago by nero_design.
Mar 15, 2017 06:23 |  #17

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
Blue-Sky Moon at Sundown. Location: Sydney, NSW Australia - Taken in JPEG - uncropped - Moon is unedited (APS-C camera)
Canon EOS-M + EF 100-400mm f/4.6-5.6L IS II USM lens + EF 2x III Extender

The Blue-Moon above was taken just as the sun was setting so there was some blue in the sky overhead. I snapped this image quickly because clouds were moving in as I was setting up to take this picture - so I didn't expect to keep this picture and it's not ideally exposed. This picture utilized just the EF 2x III Extender on the 100-400mmL lens @ 400mm. The moon image hasn't been edited or sharpened... I only had to tweak the blue tones very slightly to prevent banding when uploading.... for some reason the blue hue triggered some odd behavior when uploading to other sites. A tripod was used for each of these images. A monopod was used to support the weight of the camera in the Ibis and Lizard pictures above.
Now the picture below was a bit of an experiment where I used BOTH the 1.4x III and 2x III extenders together. By now the sun had truly set and the sky was black. If stacked in the following way - ( Lens + 2x + 12mm ET + 1.4x + Camera), then the camera will only identify one microprocessor in the EF Extenders and will ignore the fact that there are two Extenders mounted together. The shot below was taken with an APS-C camera (the EOS-M mirrorless camera from Canon). So the added 1.61x of the crop factor of the APS-C sensor meant the lens array added up to a rather amazing 1800mm+ focal length. The uncropped and mildly processed image can be seen below.

HOSTED PHOTO
Half Moon. Location: Sydney, NSW Australia - Taken in JPEG - uncropped - (APS-C camera).
Canon EOS-M + EF 100-400mm f/4.6-5.6L IS II USM lens + EF 2x III Extender + Canon ETEF 12II Extension Tube + EF 1.4x III Extender

I think the Extenders serve a purpose. They are an alternative to spending obscene amounts of money when you only need to take the occasional image at higher magnifications. I think the Canon Extenders are vastly superior to the non-Canon brands when comparing the Mark III series... but they are accordingly fairly expensive. The quality of their build is superb. On my 100-400mmL II lens the Extenders still allowed use of the excellent Image Stabilizer.

DSMS
Joined Mar 2017
Mar 16, 2017 17:42 |  #18

LJ3Jim wrote in post #18121036 (external link)
Welcome to the forum! First of all, the 100-400 II is a fabulous lens. You will enjoy it very much. Second, it won't focus with the 2x extender except in Live View, and even that doesn't work very well. However, on your 7D2, you can use the 1.4x extender and get auto focusing at the center focus point. I've taken many pictures using that combination. Image quality is excellent. I think if you return the 2x extender and get the 1.4x, you'll be very satisfied.

An example (7D2 + 1.4x III + 100-400 II):
QUOTED IMAGE

Question:

I have the 100-400L and a Tamron 2x converter (used it on the 7D and currently on the 7DII), used only for shooting the moon, and in live view (where it hunts for ages before finding focus).

Now, do you know if the 1.4x converter will allow me to autofocus with the 100-400 Mk1?

Perfectly ­ Frank
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
Mar 20, 2017 11:12 |  #19

nero_design wrote in post #18301430 (external link)
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by nero_design in
./showthread.php?p=183​01430&i=i170645983
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Blue-Sky Moon at Sundown. Location: Sydney, NSW Australia - Taken in JPEG - uncropped - Moon is unedited (APS-C camera)
Canon EOS-M + EF 100-400mm f/4.6-5.6L IS II USM lens + EF 2x III Extender

The Blue-Moon above was taken just as the sun was setting so there was some blue in the sky overhead. I snapped this image quickly because clouds were moving in as I was setting up to take this picture - so I didn't expect to keep this picture and it's not ideally exposed. This picture utilized just the EF 2x III Extender on the 100-400mmL lens @ 400mm. The moon image hasn't been edited or sharpened... I only had to tweak the blue tones very slightly to prevent banding when uploading.... for some reason the blue hue triggered some odd behavior when uploading to other sites. A tripod was used for each of these images. A monopod was used to support the weight of the camera in the Ibis and Lizard pictures above.
Now the picture below was a bit of an experiment where I used BOTH the 1.4x III and 2x III extenders together. By now the sun had truly set and the sky was black. If stacked in the following way - ( Lens + 2x + 12mm ET + 1.4x + Camera), then the camera will only identify one microprocessor in the EF Extenders and will ignore the fact that there are two Extenders mounted together. The shot below was taken with an APS-C camera (the EOS-M mirrorless camera from Canon). So the added 1.61x of the crop factor of the APS-C sensor meant the lens array added up to a rather amazing 1800mm+ focal length. The uncropped and mildly processed image can be seen below.

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by nero_design in
./showthread.php?p=183​01430&i=i72234252
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Half Moon. Location: Sydney, NSW Australia - Taken in JPEG - uncropped - (APS-C camera).
Canon EOS-M + EF 100-400mm f/4.6-5.6L IS II USM lens + EF 2x III Extender + Canon ETEF 12II Extension Tube + EF 1.4x III Extender

I think the Extenders serve a purpose. They are an alternative to spending obscene amounts of money when you only need to take the occasional image at higher magnifications. I think the Canon Extenders are vastly superior to the non-Canon brands when comparing the Mark III series... but they are accordingly fairly expensive. The quality of their build is superb. On my 100-400mmL II lens the Extenders still allowed use of the excellent Image Stabilizer.

Whoa! Fantastic moon shots! Great job and thanks for the detailed write up.

For myself, I'm interested in using the 100-400 II & 1.4xIII with the 1DXII for aircraft in flight photography.

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,490 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
Mar 23, 2017 18:46 as a reply to Perfectly Frank's post |  #20

That combination works well with my 1DX Mk1 so it should be fine with your 1DX Mk2.

The AF will slow a little but Aircraft will not be a challenge for it!

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

tonylong
...winded
54,566 posts
Gallery: 53 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Vancouver, WA USA
Mar 24, 2017 16:38 |  #21

I haven't seen this pointed out specifically in this thread:

I'm not sure about the specs for the 7D2, but most of our bodies will not AF at apertures of f/7 or a "larger" f-number.

An exception would be cameras (such as the 1-series) that will AF at a higher f-number.

As such, be aware that the 1x TC will up your f-stop by one stop. the 2x TC will up the f-number by 2 stops. So, in practice that would not be usable by most of our cameras (with a lens with an f/5.6 aperture) using AF. Pepole have mentioned using MF, sure, it's a juggling act!

I have heard that the new VIII Tcs are quite improved as to IQ, peole have been happy with them! The same could be said for the 100-400 II!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBaseexternal link
Wildlife project pics hereexternal link, Biking Photog shoots hereexternal link, "Suburbia" project hereexternal link! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics hereexternal link

Lbsimon
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Boston, MA
Mar 24, 2017 17:06 |  #22

tonylong wrote in post #18309921 (external link)
I haven't seen this pointed out specifically in this thread:

I'm not sure about the specs for the 7D2, but most of our bodies will not AF at apertures of f/7 or a "larger" f-number.

An exception would be cameras (such as the 1-series) that will AF at a higher f-number.

The 7D II autofocuses at F8 but only with a center point and with four expansion points.

tonylong
...winded
54,566 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Vancouver, WA USA
Mar 24, 2017 17:11 |  #23

Lbsimon wrote in post #18309950 (external link)
The 7D II autofocuses at F8 but only with a center point and with four expansion points.

Well, that's good to know about the 7D2, but it won't AF with the f/5.6 lens and the 2xTC... It should do fine with the 1.4xTC!

I myself juggled things around until I got the 1D3 which handled the Af...

Using one of the older cameras, no Af with the 2x TC unless using an f/2.8 lens. I just didn't bother haggling without the AF!

Tony
Wildlife project pics hereexternal link, Biking Photog shoots hereexternal link, "Suburbia" project hereexternal link! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics hereexternal link

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,490 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
Mar 24, 2017 17:17 as a reply to tonylong's post |  #24

Mine does quite well with the 1.4 Mk3 extender but the 2 x is live view AF or manual only!

Not very practical for most uses to say the least.

tonylong
...winded
54,566 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Vancouver, WA USA
Mar 24, 2017 17:21 |  #25

johnf3f wrote in post #18309966 (external link)
Mine does quite well with the 1.4 Mk3 extender but the 2 x is live view AF or manual only!

Not very practical for most uses to say the least.

Yup, the 1.4x TC can be a "breeze" with most of our bodies and lenses that have a decent max aperture!

Tony

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,490 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
Mar 24, 2017 17:29 |  #26

tonylong wrote in post #18309973 (external link)
Yup, the 1.4x TC can be a "breeze" with most of our bodies and lenses that have a decent max aperture!

Yup! If you have a 300/400 F2.8 then the Canon 2 x Mk3 is a cracker! With the 500/600 F4 lenses than it can do a good job - but these are all VERY expensive lenses.

For the OP I feel (having both and tried them) that the 2 x Mk3 is a waste on the 100-400 MK1 or 2. It may be OK for Moon shots or similar but the 1.4 is much more useful!

Just my 2p.

tonylong
...winded
54,566 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Vancouver, WA USA
Mar 24, 2017 17:54 |  #27

Well, hey, speaking of extenders with "fast lenses,

Here's a shot I grabbed with my "Old 5D Classic, and the 300mm f/2.8 IS lens, and the "old 2x TC, so a BIf shot at 600mm with the 5DC!!!

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/tonylong/image/88175165/original.jpg

Tony

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
11,266 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Mar 24, 2017 22:12 |  #28

I wish the 2X would AF focus with the 100-400 II. That is why i have become curios about the 400 DO II. Excellent IQ writing the 2X III. Good ranges with 400, 560, 800 and it is light.

Image Editing OK

Websiteexternal link ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

nero_design
Joined Nov 2012
Sydney, Australia
Post has been edited 29 days ago by nero_design.
Mar 25, 2017 03:27 |  #29

digital paradise wrote in post #18310205 (external link)
I wish the 2X would AF focus with the 100-400 II. That is why i have become curios about the 400 DO II. Excellent IQ writing the 2X III. Good ranges with 400, 560, 800 and it is light.

The 2x will still Auto Focus on any camera (DSLR or Mirrorless) as long as the camera has Live Preview. Unfortunately, most DSLRs perform very slowly with Live Preview although some of the newer model cameras with DPAF sensors are said to be much faster than the non-DPAF models. The Image Stabilization also works just fine with the 2x III Extender + 100-400L II lens but nothing will work via the Optical Viewfinder... only via the Live View on the LCD display. Even at 800mm, the IS would kick in and it really does make quite a difference to the shots.

HOSTED PHOTO
[ABOVE image] Using the Live Preview mode on the EOS 6D to allow for Auto Focus with the 2x III Extender on the 100-400mmL II lens.

A downside of this is that your sensor will be charged for longer periods of time if shooting for longer periods without turning your camera off. Normally your sensor switches to "sleep/off" mode until you touch the shutter release button on most Canon DSLRs. But I was shooting for several hours with the EOS 6D and that gave me at least one or two hot-pixels that I had to shake later. As slow as the system is, it's safer for shooting sunrises (the Extenders and lenses can pose a serious risk to your eyes with an OVF) and it's certainly fantastic for landscapes and lunar/moon shots. Just beware of sensor damage with sunrises and lasers. The sun appears dimmer near the horizon so we are tempted to take shots of it... but the UV light from the sun isn't filtered by the thicker atmosphere near the horizon the same way visible light is... so be wary of the temptation. For the action shooters who want to photograph things in the distance that can't be approached physically (eg surfers and zoo animals, birds or wildlife etc), the 1.4x Extenders are a little faster, smaller and lighter... but still increase the size of the subject in a beneficial way.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to work with the EOS-M6 with DPAF shortly (pending release in just a couple of days). I believe it will be much faster with the Extenders on EF lenses due to the DPAF sensor it uses.

HOSTED PHOTO
Resulting Image - if your subject holds still enough for you to lock focus.
EOS EOS 6D + EF 2x III Extender + EF 100-400mm f.4.5-5.6L IS II USM lens.

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,016 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Mar 25, 2017 10:26 |  #30

nero_design wrote in post #18310323 (external link)
... but the UV light from the sun isn't filtered by the thicker atmosphere near the horizon the same way visible light is... so be wary of the temptation.

You might be thinking of infrared light. It is scattered by waterdroplets in actual clouds (hence bold clouds in UV photos), but goes right through finer kinds of haze. With an IR-adapted camera, or with an IR-pass filter, you can see a clear sun disk on the horizon sometimes even if it is so hazy that you can't tell where the sun is. That poses a potential danger for OVFs, especially with large apertures.

UV, on the hand, scatters easily for any reason and turns to heat or is reflected back into space. It has an exaggerated effect that blue light has - if you separate the red, green, and blue channels of an image where more distant hills are hazier, the red channel will not fall off in sharpness with distance like the blue channel does. UV scatters even more than visible blue light.

sponsored links

3,233 views & 13 likes for this thread
EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS II with 2x EF Extender III
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.