Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions
Thread started 08 Sep 2016 (Thursday) 23:03
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

The EOS M5 finally? maybe? possibly?

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
Joined Jul 2013
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by MedicineMan4040.
Sep 08, 2016 23:03 |  #1

EOS M5, can it be true?

Poof and I are heavy into mirrorless. Between the two of us we have 35 lenses in Sony, Olympus, and Lumix.
As much as I love using Sony and Lumix (Poof loves Olympus) I always wanted Canon to go full bore on
a mirrorless body.
We've had an EOS m2 for some time. It was Poof's gateway 'drug' into photography. I always wanted more
in a Canon mirrorless being spoiled by Sony.
Maybe the mythical serious Canon mirrorless is finally around the corner?

http://www.canonrumors​.com ...ing-before-photokina-cr3/ (external link)

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

sponsored links
Canonuser123
Joined Dec 2014
Southern California
Sep 09, 2016 00:54 |  #2

I have seen the leaked photos and claimed specs.,or at least a really good fake on another photography website, it seems like it should be a big upgrade over the M3.
I also have Sony and Panasonic mirrorless cameras and have longed for a proper mirrorless from Canon, one that can use all my EF lenses plus its own EF-M lenses when I want to travel light.

"Light travels faster than sound. Which is why people some people appear bright, until you hear them speak..."

MedicineMan4040
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2013
Sep 09, 2016 02:27 |  #3

Canonuser123 wrote in post #18121887 (external link)
I have seen the leaked photos and claimed specs.,or at least a really good fake on another photography website, it seems like it should be a big upgrade over the M3.
I also have Sony and Panasonic mirrorless cameras and have longed for a proper mirrorless from Canon, one that can use all my EF lenses plus its own EF-M lenses when I want to travel light.

I'm with you CU in all three regards.
I just keep thinking what if it has PDAF that will truly AF and track a long FL EF lens. I'd probably regret selling the 400/5.6 !!!

Well at this point it is a dream/rumor/etc. but I'm already hoping for a few things.
One of them is the ability to charge and/or run from the USB port. I used Sony a lot on the Ring Road in Iceland couple of months ago and it was so useful being able to top off the batteries between photo stops. Even Lumix has added this feature (charging at least) on their latest.
Another dream I have for the 'M5' (if it exists) is Canon giving up a native M-mount 400mm....long focal length, it is something Olympus and Lumix have addressed---but not Sony!

Have you note the placement of the '*' button on the camera images? Not exactly BBF frirendly; very reminiscent of the GX8-doable but not ideal.

Anyway, the dream continues :)

flickr (external link)

marcial4
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Maracaibo, Venezuela
Sep 09, 2016 06:37 |  #4

http://www.canonrumors​.com ...m5-images-specifications/ (external link)

looks like finally Canon have a competitor, looks pretty interesting the specs and the new body different from the previous generations of the camera. At least I hope a decent AF like a rebel DSLR, that's my main gripe with my M camera.

Marcial "Marshall" Quintero
5D3 | 16-35/4L | 50 1.4 | 100L | 70-300L

A Venezuelan living in Santiago, Chile

500px (external link) Instagram (external link) flickr (external link)

Talley
Talley Whacker
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Sep 09, 2016 07:13 |  #5

The focus will be as fast as the lenses will allow them to be. This is finally a worthy upgrade. I just bought the wife an M3 but she will be happy with that for now. I'll wait 2 years for the M5 to come down in price.

BUT.... and this is a big but...

canon needs to get off their butts and start matching Fuji in lenses. They are never going to have a decent system until they release alot more dedicated primes and offer some F4 constant zooms. They need this to be really successful. They have a good solid 22mm F2. They need more though. Period.

5D4 |12mm 2.8 FE | 16-35L 2.8 III | Σ 35A | Σ 50A | Σ 85A | 200 F2 IS | 1.4xIII
X-T20 | X-E3 | 18/2 | 35/1.4 | 56/1.2 | 18-135
My Gear Archive

marcial4
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Maracaibo, Venezuela
Sep 09, 2016 07:45 as a reply to Talley's post |  #6

The 11-22 is another great example of what canon could do for mirrorless cameras. Fast focus, great sharpness, I didn't get the change to test the 55-200 but I hope the new lenses coming for the EF-M mount deliver as this two.

Marcial "Marshall" Quintero
5D3 | 16-35/4L | 50 1.4 | 100L | 70-300L

A Venezuelan living in Santiago, Chile

500px (external link) Instagram (external link) flickr (external link)

dtufino
Goldmember
4,005 posts
Joined Apr 2006
New York Gritty
Sep 10, 2016 19:47 |  #7

Fingers Crossed that Canon doesn't F@Ck this up! If it's legit i'm gonan get me the adapter to use my EF lenses... :-)

-David T.
www.dtufinophoto.comexternal link

@dtufino_photoexternal link
flickrexternal link

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by MalVeauX. 2 edits done in total.
Sep 10, 2016 19:56 |  #8

I gotta see the EVF to believe it.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

PineBomb
I have many notable flaws
Joined Apr 2014
Psych Ward, East Wing, USA
Sep 10, 2016 20:04 |  #9

To be fair to Canon, it's difficult to seriously play in the mirrorless market when success there necessarily means cannibalizing some sales in your DSLR line. But it looks like they're finally doing it. It's going to be interesting to watch. Nevertheless, I'm not patient enough for the lens rollout. Fuji has what I want now.

-Matt
Website (external link) | flickr (external link) | instagram (external link) | street portrait project on instagram (external link)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by MalVeauX.
Sep 10, 2016 20:10 |  #10

PineBomb wrote in post #18123742 (external link)
Fuji has what I want now.

This is my other issue too. Fuji already has very good mirrorless cameras, affordable, and they have very appealing glass for them (18mm F2, 23mm F1.4 & 56 F1.2 really scream to me and they're affordable which makes it even more appealing). Even if Canon can come close, body wise, they don't have lenses like this dedicated to their mirrorless system to compete here. These lenses alone sell Fuji to me.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

MedicineMan4040
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2013
Sep 11, 2016 01:00 |  #11

I hear you all loud and clear, and find myself often looking at XT2 but what if ~I know the odds~ Canon fully intends for the M5 to AF and AF-track EF lenses ???
Every ounce counts and when I'm toting the 1DXii I'd love a capable M5 in the pack instead of the 7Dii (remember weight matters to me, maybe not you).
And saying that I think that Canon already has a market base=any Canon owner toting a heavy EOS body wanting a lightweight backup.

Dtufino I worry too, with such an opportunity here and knowing the M, M2, M3 and what could have already been.

Pinebomb I disagree politely :) If I'm in the market for a 1D series or a 5Div I don't think that negates a small(er) travel camera that can share lenses.

A lot of my hope and dreams of the M5 are predicated on the belief that the EF-->M adapter doesn't slow anything critical down.
I've got a few Sonys and can honestly say that the Sony-Metabones accord has really progressed over the numerous firmware updates. So much in fact I'll probably be
taking an A7Rii + EOS 300ISii to Panama in a couple of months for the blind shots. With the M5 + adapter + EF lenses there should be no speed bottleneck eh?

So Talley if my above stated belief is true and the adapter does allow a complete melding of M5 to ALL EF lenses then Canon's lens lineup stomps even the fantastic array
of Fuji lenses eh?

I guess even having much kit in several systems I'm a Canon fanboy at heart. There I said it ;)

flickr (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,545 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Sep 11, 2016 01:04 |  #12

The specs say;

- Continuous shooting: 7fps
- Continuous shooting in live view: 9fps

WTF? It's mirrorless. Isn't it always "live view"? What am I missing?

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

MedicineMan4040
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2013
Sep 11, 2016 01:38 |  #13

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18123922 (external link)
The specs say;

- Continuous shooting: 7fps
- Continuous shooting in live view: 9fps

WTF? It's mirrorless. Isn't it always "live view"? What am I missing?

Jake at 9fps you're seeing last if not before last frame. At 7fps your seeing closer to actual live
but even with the super fast a6300 there is a gap between what you see and reality; it's just so fast
now with the a6300 you don't percieve it and can stay on the moving target.
I think Sony does some interpolation magic between frames, that or lets your mind fill in the
inbetwen stuff.
Another way to look at it is like this. With a DSLR there is a very fast (as fast as the mirror if flipping) black frame
presented to you; of course with a super fast DSLR hard to notice; so the trick Sony does is present the last image
instead of the black frame.

I hope that kinda makes sense. It's my take on it anyway.
With the a6300 you can truly follow the bird, plane, whatever.
It would be miraculous if the M5 could do as good with an EF lens.

flickr (external link)

PineBomb
I have many notable flaws
Joined Apr 2014
Psych Ward, East Wing, USA
Sep 11, 2016 08:25 |  #14

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #18123919 (external link)
Pinebomb I disagree politely :) If I'm in the market for a 1D series or a 5Div I don't think that negates a small(er) travel camera that can share lenses.

I said cannibalizing some sales. Of course there are DSLR shooters buying mirrorless cameras. But if I'm reading your comment correctly your point of view negates the market segment that is looking to adopt a single camera or single system, and some of those buyers will opt for mirrorless instead of DSLR.

-Matt
Website (external link) | flickr (external link) | instagram (external link) | street portrait project on instagram (external link)

dtufino
Goldmember
4,005 posts
Joined Apr 2006
New York Gritty
Sep 11, 2016 09:41 |  #15

I've had the fuji xt1, the Olympus OMD em1, the Sony a7II... and out of all those mirrorless cameras, i really enjoyed the images off the OMD.... LIKE REALLY... the handling and everything was just perfect. Fuji lacks something int he image dept for "ME".....not saying their images suck.. just saying for me they didn't work... but their lenses are splendid.... Sony lack of lenses and lenses that are WAY over priced is ridiculous.... I'm knee deep in Canon lenses...

If the autofuc on the EOS M5 is super fast and snappy liek the Sony a6500 (or whatever) and with the M to EFS adapter works just as fast, then we clearly have a winner! Patiently waiting!

-David T.
www.dtufinophoto.comexternal link

@dtufino_photoexternal link
flickrexternal link

sponsored links

7,330 views & 11 likes for this thread
The EOS M5 finally? maybe? possibly?
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.