Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 10 Sep 2016 (Saturday) 12:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Wi-Fi Adapter W-E1

Lester ­ Wareham
26,339 posts
Gallery: 2177 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2005
Post edited over 1 year ago by Lester Wareham. (2 edits in all)

Sep 10, 2016 12:19 |  #1

I thought I would start a thread on this, can't see one currently.

http://www.canon.ca …/method/gp/pid/​48365#_030 (external link)

Compatibility

EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 5DS and EOS 5DS R cameras only.
Communication with Smartphones

Images can be viewed, controlled, and received using a smartphone. MP4 video can be viewed and saved using a smartphone with the EOS 7D Mark II camera only.
Remote control of the camera using a smartphone is possible.
Remote Operation Using EOS Utility

Remote control functions and image viewing functions of EOS Utility can be used wirelessly.

For the 7DII needs a firmware update Firmware 1.1.0 for Canon 7D Mk II is up at Canon USA - enables Canon's Wi-Fi Adapter Kit
http://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=18120645

Notes from the Canon page

EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 5DS and EOS 5DS R cameras that have already been purchased separately require a firmware update to utilize the Wi-Fi Adapter W-E1.

** Compatible with iOS versions 8.0/8.1/8.2/8.3/8.4/9.​0/9.1/9.2/9.3, Android™ smartphone and tablet versions 4.1/4.2/4.3/4.4/5.0/5.​1/6.0. Data charges may apply with the download of the free Canon Camera Connect app. This app helps enable you to upload images to social media services. Please note that image files may contain personally identifiable information that may implicate privacy laws. Canon disclaims and has no responsibility for your use of such images. Canon does not obtain, collect or use such images or any information included in such images through this app.

*** The Wi-Fi Adapter W-E1 must be inserted into the available SD card slot. The W-E1 does not have storage and is not designed to record images. To record and store images, a CompactFlash card must be used in the dedicated CF card slot.
Wireless communication may be terminated if the user operates the power switch, card slot cover, battery compartment cover or mode dial; starts Live View shooting or operates the movie shooting switch during wireless communication.
The communication distance for the Wi-Fi Adapter W-E1 is approximately 32.8 feet, making it shorter than the built-in Wi-Fi® communication distance of the EOS 80D camera (approx. 49.2 feet).

Because wireless communication speed can slow down or be interrupted when the grip is covered by a user’s hand, Wi-Fi® connection is not recommended while holding the grip.

If the EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 5DS or EOS 5DS R cameras are turned on or the shutter button is pressed while only the Wi-Fi Adapter W-E1 is inserted, [Cannot record] will appear on the LCD monitor.

If the Wi-Fi Adapter W-E1 is inserted into any EOS camera other than the EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 5DS or EOS 5DS R cameras (firmware V1.1.0 or later) and the power is turned on, [Card locked] or [Card error] may appear on the LCD monitor.
When the Wi-Fi Adapter W-E1 is inserted in the camera, a USB cable cannot be used to connect the camera to a Connect Station, wireless file transmitter, printer, etc. It can be used when the camera is connected to an external monitor via HDMI cable.
Communication with a smartphone is not available during Live View shooting or movie recording using the movie recording switch.
Image display may be delayed, and images may not display smoothly while using the Wi-Fi Adapter W-E1 in an area where devices that operate on the same frequency band are in use, such as Bluetooth® devices, microwave ovens, cordless telephones, microphones, smartphones or other cameras.

Image display may be delayed, and images may not display smoothly if a person or other obstruction comes between the device you want to connect to or the access point antenna.

So effectively you will loose the use of the SD slot for storage and it doesn't sound as if a CF>>SD adaptor could be used if you are one that prefers SD cards.

Pre-order in the UK is expected in October £39.99.

In the USA $39.99, can't see a date but probably before the end of the month.

My Photography Home Page (external link) RSS Feed (external link)
Gear List
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV

sponsored links
CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,212 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 1 year ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Sep 10, 2016 14:44 |  #2

I will watch this closely, I have been using an Eye-Fi card, and would love something a bit less quirky.

That said, I am sad that the Canon card does not have built in storage. How I use the Eye-Fi card relies on the built in storage. Mine is 32GB but 16 GB would suit my needs just fine.

Also bit let down that it works in 7D2 and 5Ds, but not 5D3?

My Eye-Fi is back and forth between 7D2 and 5D3... oh well.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Archibald
You must be quackers!
5,925 posts
Gallery: 163 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008
Post edited over 1 year ago by Archibald.

Sep 10, 2016 14:49 |  #3

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18123528 (external link)
I will watch this closely, I have been using an Eye-Fi card, and would love something a bit less quirky.

That said, I am sad that the Canon card does not have built in storage. How I use the Eye-Fi card relies on the built in storage. Mine is 32GB but 16 GB would suit my needs just fine.

Also bit let down that it works in 7D2 and 5Ds, but not 5D3?

My Eye-Fi is back and forth between 7D2 and 5D3... oh well.

Agreed, it should have storage too.

It's also sad that something tiny enough to fit in an SD card was not just included as part of the 7D2 body.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
13,475 posts
Gallery: 1231 photos
Joined Jul 2013

Sep 10, 2016 14:54 |  #4

Lester great thread. Thanks for originating.

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
13,475 posts
Gallery: 1231 photos
Joined Jul 2013

Sep 10, 2016 15:01 |  #5

The new WiFi adapter will be simpler than my solution, using the TPlink (sorry from crap pics)

IMAGE: https://c6.staticflickr.com/4/3940/15715856485_474f830ed9_n.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/pWKS​AR  (external link) Camera info via TP Link Router (external link) by MedicineMan4040 (external link), on Flickr
IMAGE: https://c7.staticflickr.com/4/3939/15531020270_54bb9ca2c6_n.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/pEqx​ey  (external link) 7Dii + TP Link + Droid= Tilt Swivel Screen (external link) by MedicineMan4040 (external link), on Flickr

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

Lester ­ Wareham
THREAD ­ STARTER
26,339 posts
Gallery: 2177 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Sep 11, 2016 04:10 |  #6

On the internal storage point I am guessing the CF card can still act as local storage and possibly Wi-Fi transfer buffer.

There is a lot of use case stuff that we can't be sure of until people get the card and hopefully report in to this thread.

Communication with a smartphone is not available during Live View shooting or movie recording using the movie recording switch.

I just noticed the above. As a main use case for me would be using a smart phone as a remote monitor for low angle shooting this is of concern, it also seems to contradict other statemets made by Canon.

Perhaps it meens when exposing the image in LV, the movie mode comment suggests it can't act as a remote monitor in that mode?

My Photography Home Page (external link) RSS Feed (external link)
Gear List
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV

mikepj
202 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 12, 2016 08:03 |  #7

Has anyone actually gotten their hands on one of these yet? I ordered one from B&H when they first became available. They claimed it was going to ship on September 8th, but I still haven't heard anything about it shipping. In the Canon online store it's listed as backordered as well.

Radiant Photography (external link) Instagram (external link) Instagram (Sports) (external link) Flickr (external link)
5D Mark IV, 7D Mark II, Rebel SL1
16-35 ƒ4L, 24-105 ƒ4L, 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II, 100-400 ƒ4.5-5.6L, 85 ƒ1.8, 50 ƒ1.8 STM, 24mm ƒ2.8 STM

Tom_D
Goldmember
1,425 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 01, 2016 11:24 |  #8

Still "Temporarily out of stock" on Amazon with no estimate on when it will be available.

Gallery (external link)
7DMkII, 40D, 17-55, 70-200 f/2.8 IS and more...
More Wag, Less Bark

3jc
261 posts
Gallery: 112 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jun 2013
Post edited over 1 year ago by 3jc.

Oct 01, 2016 13:52 as a reply to  @ mikepj's post |  #9

I pre-ordered from B&H also and I haven't got mine yet. -?

A5forfighting
626 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 12, 2016 01:57 |  #10

Still back order on b&H. And even they don't know when they'll ship.

7D, S95, EOSM,

mikepj
202 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Oct 12, 2016 19:21 |  #11

I saw on NewEgg that the expected shipment date is October 23rd. The original press release claimed that the WiFi adapter was going to be included in 7D Mark II kits at "the end of October". So the 23rd just might be right…

Radiant Photography (external link) Instagram (external link) Instagram (Sports) (external link) Flickr (external link)
5D Mark IV, 7D Mark II, Rebel SL1
16-35 ƒ4L, 24-105 ƒ4L, 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II, 100-400 ƒ4.5-5.6L, 85 ƒ1.8, 50 ƒ1.8 STM, 24mm ƒ2.8 STM

ksbal
Goldmember
2,251 posts
Gallery: 256 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 18, 2016 15:13 |  #12

I hope so, I ordered one and it when was still at 'end of September" for shipping it.. Glad someone started this thread, as I was about to.. pre-ordered on amazon and been waiting...

YN622 English User Guide/Manual by Clive
https://drive.google.c​om …Ig0gMMzZFaDVlZ1​VNTE0/view (external link)

Tom_D
Goldmember
1,425 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 21, 2016 15:42 |  #13

Just saw on amazon's site where I was being asked to approve a delay in this order. It looks like November 20th, but does not say that is a firm shipping date.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Gallery (external link)
7DMkII, 40D, 17-55, 70-200 f/2.8 IS and more...
More Wag, Less Bark

ksbal
Goldmember
2,251 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 22, 2016 14:09 as a reply to  @ Tom_D's post |  #14

Thanks for the update, I'll go check mine.

I hope it is because they found a bug and solved it, and now they will be flawless.. because I'm pretty tired of waiting already!

ksbal
Goldmember
2,251 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 22, 2016 14:13 |  #15

well that is craptacular... says it doesn't even have an estimated date on mine. jeepers.

sponsored links

33,537 views & 29 likes for this thread
Wi-Fi Adapter W-E1
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.