Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 12 Sep 2016 (Monday) 09:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Swallowing One's Pride (when it comes to equipment)

68 posts
Joined Jul 2006
Sep 12, 2016 09:57 |  #1

So I shoot with the 350D as a hobby, nothing serious, I just like what I see and try to capture the moment. Through the years, I've accumulated a number of lenses which I find suitable for my needs. And as much as I would love to have higher end lenses, it's just not in the works right now.

And because of this, I try to pick out the most practial stuff to buy. One of them happens to be the BG-E3 Hand grip. It was great at first. I felt a balance with the camera with heavier lenses.

But something was always nagging me about it in the back of my head. Something was off, and I couldnt point my finger at it. Maybe the fact that it made the camera feel heavier, or the fact that my hands are just slightly smaller to feel comfortable, or the fact that it made the camera feel cumbersome and made it less portable.

So I decided this weekend to take off the Hand grip and try once again and go back to basics. I felt like I just grew up too fast and miss things along the way.

I'm surprised to find out that I love the feeling again, like getting a renewed vigor for photography. And to be honest, having the Pancake on a Full-Size-esque housing of a body feels odd to me lol.

Has anyone else had to bring it in and take a step back to rediscover their love for photography, or just make life easier? Thanks for reading.

Canon 350d / Tokina 11-16mm / 28-135mm 3.5 IS / 100-300mm f3.5-5.0 / *NEW* Canon Powershot G12 / 430 ex II /Canon 40mm 2.8 / Canon 85mm 1.8

sponsored links
2,714 posts
Gallery: 349 photos
Joined Apr 2009
Sep 12, 2016 10:19 |  #2

No pride swallowing necessary because this is a hobby that has no boundaries when it comes to making it your own! Sometimes you try something and it works, other times you discover that it just wasn't what you were expecting. The joy is in the journey, and half the enjoyment comes from the experimentation.

On the other hand, don't let the "discomfort" deter you either. That inner voice telling you to stick with what you know sometimes need to be ignored in order for you to grow (this pertains to things outside of photography too).

flickr (external link)

3,051 posts
Joined Mar 2012
Sep 12, 2016 12:59 |  #3

Use and configure gear as what works for the task at hand. Nothing wrong with reverting and going back to a setup that worked better for you if you find something isn't doing what you need/want it to. Just plain silly to carry on with something otherwise.

Personally I have a pair of 7D bodies, and while I was planning to buy battery grips for both of them, I never did get around to ordering the second. So one body typically has the grip on it, and it gets the heavier/longer lenses in most cases, and the other comes along as the secondary camera when I'm out somewhere that I want to have both of them with me. Of course there are times where I pack my bag and leave the gripped one at home because I want to shave a bit of weight off. There has also been a few rare times where I've taken both cameras but still left the grip at home.

As tempting as the big 1D cameras have been, the lack of being able to reduce them to the more compact size is one of the reasons why I've never actually added one to my planned gear. That and one would totally kill the budget for other far more important and useful things. (There is a reason why I'm still using 7D bodies rather than something newer: They're cheap, I already have them, and they still work just fine.)

And right now I've been reaching for an old medium format film camera I picked up awhile back rather than bringing the digital gear along. Mostly because the film gear is still very new to me, so there is still the big desire to 'play with the new toy', but it is also enjoyable in its own right. It is something different to work with, and the old fully manual thing is fun to play with.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

Cream of the Crop
6,248 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2009
Sep 12, 2016 22:11 |  #4

Never bothered to use grip on 5Dc. Sold it unused with camera. Removed grip from 500D after pancake purchase.

please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Grips on Rebels are handy to balance big lens and to provide enough charge capacity in cold. But with pancake, no grip it is more on P&S, RF side.

please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

676 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2009
Sep 12, 2016 23:39 |  #5

I've been there! I had a pretty slick setup years ago but sold it all because I started to pixel peep and resent my gear. I figured, I have the best stuff, it should look like a magazine?? Right??

Not until i went back to a basic Nikon D90 and 35mm 1.8 did I start to love it again. Now I have some good stuff again, but my perspective has changed a lot. The "1-lens" setup worked for me and my passion came back and has stayed ever since.

Trevor - Canon 6D / Canon 35mm 1.4L / Canon 50mm 1.4 USM / Canon 24-105mm F4L / Canon 135mm F2L

960 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Apr 2012
Sep 13, 2016 03:58 |  #6

My M8.2 keeps me from going crazy- Once in a while, I leave everything at home and shoot with the bare basics. It's very therapeutic.

Canon 1DX | 6D | 16-35/2.8II | 24/1.4II | 24-70/2.8II | 24-105 | 50/1.8 | 50/1.2 | 70-200/2.8 IS II | 85/1.2II | 100/2.8 IS macro | 400/2.8 IS | 2xIII
Leica M8.2 | Noctilux 50 f/1 | Elmarit 90/2.8 Cinema BMD Ursa Mini 4k (external link) | Facebook (external link) | flickr (external link)

sponsored links

1,500 views & 1 like for this thread
Swallowing One's Pride (when it comes to equipment)
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.