Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 19 Sep 2016 (Monday) 11:28
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Micro fiber lens cleaning cloths - are they all about the same?

Perfectly ­ Frank
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
Sep 19, 2016 11:28 |  #1

There are many brands of micro fiber cleaning cloths on the market.
I'm guessing that like other things, some cloths are better quality than others.

I really don't use them that often for lens cleaning, but since I have expensive glass
I want to make sure I get a good quality rag.

Any recommendations? Thanks.

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

sponsored links
Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
Sep 22, 2016 11:34 |  #2

Gee, I feel alone here, so very alone. :-(

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,056 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Sep 22, 2016 11:58 |  #3

The original Microfiber which was written about in Modern Photography decades ago, which was available at the time in Japan, but not USA, is a 'hard finish' cloth and not the very soft finish microfiber that you see in auto supply stores in the rags section. These are the Photo-Clear brand, which apparently now has Schneider as its parent company.

https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com ...099462_12_x_15_phot​o.html (external link)

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

ejenner
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2011
Denver, CO
Sep 22, 2016 20:53 |  #4

None I have used would ever damage the lens coating, but they can be quite different in terms of how they 'work'. I have some textured that are really good for fingerprints and others that are better for dust and leave less fibers on the lens.

I would try a few if you are particular, or just don't get the cheapest of the cheap is you are not.

Edward Jenner
5DIII, 7DII, M6, GX1 II,M11-22, Sig15mm FE,16-35 F4,TS-E 17,Sig 18-250 OS Macro,M18-150,24-105,T45 1.8VC,70-200 f4 IS,70-200 2.8 vII,Sig 85 1.4,100L,135L,400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

PhotosGuy
74,727 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Sep 22, 2016 21:25 |  #5

Use cloths once, & you're good. Use it a 2nd time & it had magically been transformed into an abrasive substance by the crud it picked up in the first cleaning.
Instead, think about Lens cleaning tissue (external link)

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

Wilt
39,056 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by Wilt. 5 edits done in total.
Sep 22, 2016 22:16 |  #6

PhotosGuy wrote in post #18137282 (external link)
Use cloths once, & you're good. Use it a 2nd time & it had magically been transformed into an abrasive substance by the crud it picked up in the first cleaning.
Instead, think about Lens cleaning tissue[/URL]

The microfiber cloths launder just fine. Like using Kodak Tissues, you turn to a clean surface a lot, so that any captured grit does not become abrasive against the lens/coating.

In testing decades ago, Modern Photography's Herbert Keppler used microscopes to examine lens coatings after wiping, and microfiber was far less abrasive than even Kodak Lens Cleaning Tissue which left microabrasions (not visible to naked eye).

Furthermore, lens coatings are far harder today than they were decades ago, when the Modern Photography tests were performed.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by Tom Reichner. 2 edits done in total.
Sep 22, 2016 22:49 |  #7

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #18133062 (external link)
Any recommendations?

Yup. The dollar store. You get a 4 pack or a 5 pack for a buck. They're as good as any "dedicated" lens cleaning microfiber. Even better, actually, as they have a decently long nap, which helps a lot with picking the dust off of the lens surface. The specialized lens cleaning microfiber cloths have an extremely short, almost nonexistent nap, which makes it really hard to get the dust to stick to them.

These dollar store microfibers are all I ever use, and I am using them on lenses that cost me several thousand dollars, like my 400mm f2.8. I really believe they are the best.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

PhotosGuy
74,727 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Sep 23, 2016 00:25 |  #8

Wilt wrote in post #18137313 (external link)
The microfiber cloths launder just fine. Like using Kodak Tissues, you turn to a clean surface a lot, so that any captured grit does not become abrasive against the lens/coating.

OK, I stand corrected. But just for the H of it, maybe we should have a poll sometime on how many times people use the cloths before they wash them. ; )

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,354 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Sep 23, 2016 03:39 |  #9

I've been buying (relatively) expensive lenses since 1976. I've always cleaned them with a lens brush, and breath moisture/t-shirt. I still have yet to damage a lens. Paper towels and vinegar water work well if things get overly dirty.

Tom

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Sep 23, 2016 04:27 as a reply to Bassat's post |  #10

I was right with you up until paper towels and vinegar.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Sep 23, 2016 08:09 |  #11

Bassat wrote in post #18137431 (external link)
Paper towels and vinegar water work well if things get overly dirty.

How do you get the paper towels not to leave behind tiny little fibers of themselves? I mean, when you clean windows or windshields with paper towels, they always shed tiny little bits of lint that never seem to go away. How do you keep this from happening when you clean lenses?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

Wilt
39,056 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by Wilt. 5 edits done in total.
Sep 23, 2016 08:57 |  #12

PhotosGuy wrote in post #18137370 (external link)
OK, I stand corrected. But just for the H of it, maybe we should have a poll sometime on how many times people use the cloths before they wash them. ; )

Excellent point, Frank! Certainly there will be a large percentage (i.e., not an 'insignificant' one) who fail in the maintenance of lots of stuff, and something as insignificant as a microfiber cloth will be one of the worst to suffer from lack of maintenance. In that same poll, it should also be alsked,

• "If you own your home and your heat is provided by forced air, do you change/clean the filters in your furnace annually?"
  • "If your refrigerator has a water filtration filter, do you change/clean the filters in your refrigerator annually?"
  • "Do you inspect/clean the lint trap of your dryer before each use?"
  • "If you have lens cleaning tissue, is it specirically Kodak brand name photographic lens cleaning, and not a discount department store eyeglass cleaning paper.

...and I suspect there will be a strong correlation of responses to the various questions.
:-)

Bassat
6,354 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Sep 23, 2016 10:19 |  #13

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18137450 (external link)

Tablespoon of vinegar in a qt of water. Excellent cleaner.

Tom

Bassat
6,354 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Sep 23, 2016 10:21 |  #14

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18137577 (external link)

How do you get the paper towels not to leave behind tiny little fibers of themselves? I mean, when you clean windows or windshields with paper towels, they always shed tiny little bits of lint that never seem to go away. How do you keep this from happening when you clean lenses?

Lens brush. Don't overcomplicate it. It's a piece of glass.

Tom

Wilt
39,056 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by Wilt. 3 edits done in total.
Sep 23, 2016 11:03 |  #15

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18137450 (external link)

^
A paper towel is an absorbent towel made from paper instead of cloth. Consider the fact that Kimberley Clark, for example, are a PAPER products producer, and paper is wood pulp. A number of manufacturers of optical products care publications allude to the fact that cotton is fine to use, but wood pulp-based products are NOT fine to use on optics. These instructions from microscope and telescope optics manufacturers, that I have seen in past searches. Kimberly-Clark and wood pulp products are synonymous, so would you trust your lens coatings to their products?

As for Kimwipes to clean optics, that's a no-no even per the manufacturer of Kimwipes

http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?p=2​483513

sponsored links

2,699 views & 8 likes for this thread
Micro fiber lens cleaning cloths - are they all about the same?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.