Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Medium Format Digital Cameras and Backs
Thread started 22 Sep 2016 (Thursday) 11:35
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

New to medium format!

Foodguy
Goldmember
1,323 posts
Joined Mar 2012
Having too much fun in the studio
Sep 28, 2016 09:11 |  #16

Alveric wrote in post #18142436 (external link)
Heck, no!

Last time I checked there were still no digital backs for large format, only a scanner-like thingie that didn't really convince me.

My bad...I read 'large format' and thought 'view camera'.

And fwiw, when I abandoned large format (4x5 and 8x10) for digital, I stayed in the view camera world with a digital back...so I wonder if I should call that large or medium format...hmmm maybe 'plus-size'. ;-)a

My answer for most photography questions: "it depends...'

sponsored links
Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Sep 28, 2016 09:40 |  #17

Foodguy wrote in post #18142667 (external link)
My bad...I read 'large format' and thought 'view camera'.

And fwiw, when I abandoned large format (4x5 and 8x10) for digital, I stayed in the view camera world with a digital back...so I wonder if I should call that large or medium format...hmmm maybe 'plus-size'. ;-)a

That's actually what it is. Cambo SC-II.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

Foodguy
Goldmember
1,323 posts
Joined Mar 2012
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by Foodguy.
Sep 28, 2016 10:25 |  #18

^ Enjoy the Cambo, it's a great camera. I have a long history with the company- SC/SC2/SCX/Legend/Mast​er. When I went digital, it only seemed natural to go with an Ultima 23 which continues to be a workhorse.

And while they seem antiquated to me, those early generation scanning backs for 4x5 are still in use in a lot of commercial studios today..even the fact that they're multi-pass hasn't stopped them from being productive. Depending on what you're shooting I guess; if you can shoot with hot lights and have everyone stand very still in-between passes...and as long as the software still works :eek:

Hope you find a lens so you can get out and enjoy the Cambo-

Foodguy
Goldmember
1,323 posts
Joined Mar 2012
Sep 28, 2016 12:27 |  #19

Tareq wrote in post #18142624 (external link)
Nice to see more members getting into MF even it is not much here, and i know the other sites for MF, i am a member there since a while, but the truth to be told, i feel myself there as poor, even with my 60mp i feel it is nothing compared to all newest latest 80/100mp members, and i posted some pics but sounds they keep talking about newest and latest gear more.

If you feel poor with 60, then I'd feel like a pauper. :-P

There seems to be an 'arms race' re: number of pixels and it's been that way since the start. I'm still using old technology- not because I can't afford bigger/ more current, but rather, because it still works well. More mp's for me wouldn't necessarily be 'better'....it would just be *more* mp's which sets off a chain reaction through the entire workflow and delivery, and for me there's no upside. Not to speak for anyone else, but I have all the mp's that I need to take the kind of images that I take.

Tareq
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"
17,657 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2006
Ajman - UAE
Sep 28, 2016 12:33 |  #20

Foodguy wrote in post #18142824 (external link)
If you feel poor with 60, then I'd feel like a pauper. :-P

There seems to be an 'arms race' re: number of pixels and it's been that way since the start. I'm still using old technology- not because I can't afford bigger/ more current, but rather, because it still works well. More mp's for me wouldn't necessarily be 'better'....it would just be *more* mp's which sets off a chain reaction through the entire workflow and delivery, and for me there's no upside. Not to speak for anyone else, but I have all the mp's that I need to take the kind of images that I take.

Strange then how those with big heavy mp's thinking when they are getting with 80/100mp's, i don't think they all are lack of skills or need more mp's too.

Galleries:
http://hamrani.deviant​art.com/gallery/external link
Gear List
Facebookexternal link

Foodguy
Goldmember
1,323 posts
Joined Mar 2012
Sep 28, 2016 13:13 |  #21

Tareq wrote in post #18142828 (external link)
Strange then how those with big heavy mp's thinking when they are getting with 80/100mp's, i don't think they all are lack of skills or need more mp's too.

I think it has to do with a general concept that 'bigger is always better'. If I were buying today I'd probably land in the 40-60mp range based on price and other considerations (iso range/ability for long exposures, etc).

My *little* 22MP back produces ~45 MB TIFF files which we then go on to edit. Clients often ask for saved photoshop layers which can bloat that original image to 4-6 Gigs. If my math skills are correct, that makes a 100MP file close in the 20 GIG range which is way to much for anything that I'm doing. My images are typically reproduced via off-set printing and normally not much larger than 36x40 window poster sized, and when they're reproduced larger (billboard) they're printed with such a course screen that it really wouldn't make much difference what the original was...imo. Again, for me and my situation my back is ideal.

Tareq
17,657 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Ajman - UAE
Sep 28, 2016 13:48 |  #22

Foodguy wrote in post #18142864 (external link)
I think it has to do with a general concept that 'bigger is always better'. If I were buying today I'd probably land in the 40-60mp range based on price and other considerations (iso range/ability for long exposures, etc).

My *little* 22MP back produces ~45 MB TIFF files which we then go on to edit. Clients often ask for saved photoshop layers which can bloat that original image to 4-6 Gigs. If my math skills are correct, that makes a 100MP file close in the 20 GIG range which is way to much for anything that I'm doing. My images are typically reproduced via off-set printing and normally not much larger than 36x40 window poster sized, and when they're reproduced larger (billboard) they're printed with such a course screen that it really wouldn't make much difference what the original was...imo. Again, for me and my situation my back is ideal.

Honestly speaking, even i feel more than enough with 60mp, i was using 39mp before it but i traded in to get the 60mp, and it is very good, i just feel i should post in forums where members aren't so addicted for higher latest MF gear, so i avoid LuLa and GetDPI for what is worth.

Here, i feel this MF section has less interest, and same with MF, members are more interested about what new Canon cameras/lenses or non Canon lenses gear to test and fill many threads with tests, and when i look at those latest images threads all what i see are just good photos that aren't much different than older models/versions, but still buying the newest and keep buying even as you said it won't make the photos better, but again someone will jump to find/tell excuses/reasons for buying new latest gear.

Galleries:
Gear List
Facebookexternal link

Foodguy
Goldmember
1,323 posts
Joined Mar 2012
Sep 28, 2016 15:19 |  #23

Tareq wrote in post #18142885 (external link)
Honestly speaking, even i feel more than enough with 60mp, i was using 39mp before it but i traded in to get the 60mp, and it is very good, i just feel i should post in forums where members aren't so addicted for higher latest MF gear, so i avoid LuLa and GetDPI for what is worth.

Here, i feel this MF section has less interest, and same with MF, members are more interested about what new Canon cameras/lenses or non Canon lenses gear to test and fill many threads with tests, and when i look at those latest images threads all what i see are just good photos that aren't much different than older models/versions, but still buying the newest and keep buying even as you said it won't make the photos better, but again someone will jump to find/tell excuses/reasons for buying new latest gear.

IIRC, this was formerly the Canon forum so it isn't surprising to me that the general nature is still dslr's and Canon in particular. In fact, that's how I found myself here...needing a smaller camera for a specific project and researching the Canon's....and I've stuck around since.

In the end, it's all about the photography imo, or should be. I know that the equipment end of it is often times a fun thing to focus on, but it really should be about the end result: producing great photography.

And since I've already taken the OP's thread far afield, I;d like to say the images that you posted are really very nice! Love the renditions of colors and the range that you've captured. I'm not technical enough to know whether that's a function of the larger sensor's qualities vs something like the Canon (but I suspect that one of the main factors *is* the sensor size), but the way that you've photographed it and and the result really looks great....nice job.

Presha
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2010
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by Presha. 3 edits done in total.
Sep 28, 2016 15:41 |  #24

I really agree with everyone's assessment about the having the latest and greatest equipment vs post processing technique. There's not doubt that they both play a roll in the finally product output. I have owned and shot 4x5 and currently own ( and abolsolutly love!) a Fuji 617. The image quality from both are spectacular! I went from digital 35mm to digital 645 and my reasoning is that, I print big!; as big as 120 inches! So I want to make sure that I get the best image quality as I possibly can. Yeah I've done the whole multiple stitching shot with my canon gear but, the bigger sensor of the 645 (thus, better image quality) is why I switched. As for mpix go, 60 is probably enough for me, even 50mpx gives me enough lattitude.

More over, I am glad to see the MF forum come to life with a very good discussion! And thx for your comments on the shots!

Fuji 617| Phase one 645 DF+| phase one p65+| 80mm 2.8 LS | 35mm AF

Tareq
17,657 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Ajman - UAE
Sep 28, 2016 15:55 |  #25

So don't stop with prints, post more photos here, i always like looking at digital MF photos.

Galleries:
Gear List
Facebookexternal link

Presha
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2010
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by Presha. 2 edits done in total.
Sep 28, 2016 16:24 |  #26

Tareq wrote in post #18142967 (external link)
So don't stop with prints, post more photos here, i always like looking at digital MF photos.

Lol! Tareq! No problem. I haven't had much of a chance to get out lately; however, I will be in Oregon this coming weekend and hope to get so great fall shots! That place is amazing! So look for some new shots next week for sure. In the mean time, I'll see what I got on my backup drives. I usually just park them there until I can get the time to process them.
Cheers!

urbanfreestyle
I am a squirrel who loves rubbing bottles and I have Nuts in my drawers, too!
Joined Dec 2013
Exeter, Devon
Sep 30, 2016 09:25 |  #27

I have a £15 Lubitel 2 med format film camera and love it.

Just bought a macro ring for my Sony A6000 so i can digitise the film :-)

Facebook (external link)
Sony @6000 | Sony 18-105 f4 G Series | Sony 16 f2.8 | Helios 44/m | Pentacon 135mm f2.8 | Yongnuo 560EX II | Manfrotto 055CX PRO3 | 3LT Mohawk ballhead | Lubitel 2 med format camera | Zenit EM 35mm camera |

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Moscow
Sep 30, 2016 13:28 as a reply to Presha's post |  #28

I'll have to find the time to post some up stuff too, but I've just been swamped with regular work recently, I find it such a shame that the point in life that I own the best gear I ever had is when I'd be doing the least inspired work with it.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

Presha
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2010
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by Presha.
Oct 03, 2016 14:28 as a reply to Kolor-Pikker's post |  #29

Hello again everyone! I visited the PNW this past weekend and thought the rain was a bit much, it I managed to capture a few shots! Here's one I finished processing last night; as I promised tareq, that I'd post a few when I get back. I'll post a couple more when I get time to pp.

As always, comments are always welcomed!

Presha

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Tareq
17,657 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Ajman - UAE
Oct 03, 2016 15:04 |  #30

Nice shot, but it is really underexposed, also i feel the colours are a bit cooler than warmer, in all cases i am sure the details are incredible from medium format, but processing making it like it is no better than 35mm DSLRs.

Thanks!

Galleries:
Gear List
Facebookexternal link

sponsored links

5,806 views & 25 likes for this thread
New to medium format!
FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Medium Format Digital Cameras and Backs

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.