Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras
Thread started 25 Sep 2016 (Sunday) 18:33
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

A99 Mark II - Where are all the posts?

Jarvis ­ Creative ­ Studios
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2013
Houston, Texas
Sep 25, 2016 18:33 |  #1

For those of you who don't know the Sony A99 Mark II was announced about a week ago. https://www.dpreview.c​om ...hands-on-with-sony-a99-ii (external link)

I'm really surprised that I couldn't find any posts about it. The A7R II was talked about a TON on this site when it was first released, so I'm shocked I couldn't find anything on here about the new a99. Felt the same way about the Pentax K-1. It's the first digital 35mm camera by Pentax, has been out for almost 6 months, and there are only two posts about it on POTN.

Anyway......I am a Canon shooter but have been very disappointed with the outdated sensor tech of Canon. The 5DIV is VERY overpriced for what you get in my opinion. Someone asked me the other day what my ideal camera would be, and my response was immediately "the AF, sensor, and EVF of the A7RII in the 5D3 body". Well, since Canon seems to forever be in the stone age with their sensors I doubt I will ever get that, but the A99II looks about as close as I might get.

I've been contemplating the switch to Sony for awhile, and the fact that this camera will have so much more to offer at a lower price than the 5DIV, it might just finally push me over the edge. I still love Canon's glass, and I love how people have been using the Metabones adapter on the Sony A7RII with Canon lenses. I was planning on doing this with the a99II, but was told today by a friend who shoots Sony that the Metabones won't work with the A-Mount. Do they have an equivalent? I'm not sold on Sony's glass yet.

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)
Canon 5D-Canon 5D Mark III-Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V-Sony a9-Tamron SP 17-35mm 2.8-4 Di LD IF-Canon EF 24-70 f2.8L II USM-Canon EF 70-200 f2.8L IS II-EF 135mm f2 L USM||Sony FE 24-70mm f2.8 GM-Sony Sonnar T*FE 35mm f2.8 ZA-Yongnuo 600EX-RT x3-Godox V860II-S-Canon BG-E4-Canon BG-E11-Sony VG-C3EM

sponsored links
BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,933 posts
Joined Mar 2011
Dallas TX
Sep 25, 2016 22:37 |  #2

I'm very interested in the A99ii as well. There really isn't much fanfare on the internet about it, probably because the A mount has been collecting dust for soooo long. I've said before, on PAPER the A99ii gives the 5d4 a swirly and then takes its lunch money. I am really curious to see real world reviews after it is released.
I'm not a fan of Sony glass but if Sigma will do A mount (they do offer mount conversion) they would mop up, easily.
The A mount is actually deeper than the EF mount so no Canon glass will work on it.

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2013
Houston, Texas
Sep 25, 2016 22:42 |  #3

BrickR wrote in post #18140484 (external link)
I'm very interested in the A99ii as well. There really isn't much fanfare on the internet about it, probably because the A mount has been collecting dust for soooo long. I've said before, on PAPER the A99ii gives the 5d4 a swirly and then takes its lunch money. I am really curious to see real world reviews after it is released.
I'm not a fan of Sony glass but if Sigma will do A mount (they do offer mount conversion) they would mop up, easily.
The A mount is actually deeper than the EF mount so no Canon glass will work on it.

I forgot about mount conversion. If they'll switch it I could keep my Sigma 50mm Art. It's one of my favorite lenses. Would hate to see the 135L go though. Random question but does Sigma do mount conversion on lenses they don't currently make for certain bodies? Let me clarify....Sigma makes a 35mm Art for Pentax, but does not currently make a 50mm Art in K mount. I wonder if they would do a 50mm Art mount conversion. Probably not lol. Only reason I ask is because I've been eyeing that Pentax K-1, but there aren't very many lenses available for it either.

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)
Canon 5D-Canon 5D Mark III-Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V-Sony a9-Tamron SP 17-35mm 2.8-4 Di LD IF-Canon EF 24-70 f2.8L II USM-Canon EF 70-200 f2.8L IS II-EF 135mm f2 L USM||Sony FE 24-70mm f2.8 GM-Sony Sonnar T*FE 35mm f2.8 ZA-Yongnuo 600EX-RT x3-Godox V860II-S-Canon BG-E4-Canon BG-E11-Sony VG-C3EM

mickeyb105
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
Vero Beach, FL
Sep 26, 2016 00:00 |  #4

Jarvis Creative Studios wrote in post #18140278 (external link)
For those of you who don't know the Sony A99 Mark II was announced about a week ago. https://www.dpreview.c​om ...hands-on-with-sony-a99-ii (external link)

I'm really surprised that I couldn't find any posts about it. The A7R II was talked about a TON on this site when it was first released, so I'm shocked I couldn't find anything on here about the new a99. Felt the same way about the Pentax K-1. It's the first digital 35mm camera by Pentax, has been out for almost 6 months, and there are only two posts about it on POTN.

Anyway......I am a Canon shooter but have been very disappointed with the outdated sensor tech of Canon. The 5DIV is VERY overpriced for what you get in my opinion. Someone asked me the other day what my ideal camera would be, and my response was immediately "the AF, sensor, and EVF of the A7RII in the 5D3 body". Well, since Canon seems to forever be in the stone age with their sensors I doubt I will ever get that, but the A99II looks about as close as I might get.

I've been contemplating the switch to Sony for awhile, and the fact that this camera will have so much more to offer at a lower price than the 5DIV, it might just finally push me over the edge. I still love Canon's glass, and I love how people have been using the Metabones adapter on the Sony A7RII with Canon lenses. I was planning on doing this with the a99II, but was told today by a friend who shoots Sony that the Metabones won't work with the A-Mount. Do they have an equivalent? I'm not sold on Sony's glass yet.

A few of us have kicked around thoughts and opinions.

http://photography-on-the.net ...read.php?t=1467590&​page=1

Sony A99ii, RX-100ii, Sonnar T* 135mm f/1.8 ZA, Minolta HS 200 2.8 APO, Zeiss 24/2 ZA, Minolta 2xTC APO, HVL-F43M
Flickr (external link)

mickeyb105
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
Vero Beach, FL
Sep 26, 2016 00:01 |  #5

What kind of glass would you be looking for, Jarvis?

Sony A99ii, RX-100ii, Sonnar T* 135mm f/1.8 ZA, Minolta HS 200 2.8 APO, Zeiss 24/2 ZA, Minolta 2xTC APO, HVL-F43M
Flickr (external link)

THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2013
Houston, Texas
Sep 26, 2016 00:02 |  #6

mickeyb105 wrote in post #18140532 (external link)
What kind of glass would you be looking for, Jarvis?

Glass that I didn't have to buy lol. In a perfect world I could use my existing Canon glass with an adapter, similar to the A7Rii with the metabones, but I know that may not be possible.

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)

mickeyb105
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
Vero Beach, FL
Sep 26, 2016 00:11 as a reply to Jarvis Creative Studios's post |  #7

Sigma will swap the EF mount to A-mount for fairly cheap, I've heard.

No luck on the 135L, but I've seen the Zeiss 135 f1.8 for just under $1k in E- condition at Adorama recently. I know, definitely not saving you money there over the 135L.

Flickr (external link)

THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2013
Houston, Texas
Sep 26, 2016 00:18 |  #8

mickeyb105 wrote in post #18140539 (external link)
Sigma will swap the EF mount to A-mount for fairly cheap, I've heard.

No luck on the 135L, but I've seen the Zeiss 135 f1.8 for just under $1k in E- condition at Adorama recently. I know, definitely not saving you money there over the 135L.

Well the Zeiss wouldn't be losing any quality. That's for sure.

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2012
Houston, TX
Sep 26, 2016 09:49 |  #9

Jarvis Creative Studios wrote in post #18140545 (external link)
Well the Zeiss wouldn't be losing any quality. That's for sure.

The Sony/Zeiss 135 f1.8 is much better than the 135L. I've owned both.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α9 - Zeiss Loxia 21 - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - 85GM - Sony 70-200GM

mickeyb105
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
Vero Beach, FL
Sep 26, 2016 14:41 |  #10

mystik610 wrote in post #18140872 (external link)
The Sony/Zeiss 135 f1.8 is much better than the 135L. I've owned both.

[QUOTE=mystik610;18140​872]

I've seen people readily compare the 135 1.8 to the EF200/2. It is so tempting to snag one, but I've been holding out for either an FE135 or an updated SSM.

Originally, I had planned on converting a Russian Zeiss Jena clone--the LomoKo 120 1.8. It is a projector lens, and the glass itself is excellent. It's just that everything else about the lens is not excellent. It has undergo a conversion process to be used, and it has some moderate+ internal dust.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Flickr (external link)

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,933 posts
Joined Mar 2011
Dallas TX
Sep 26, 2016 14:55 |  #11

Jarvis Creative Studios wrote in post #18140488 (external link)
I forgot about mount conversion. If they'll switch it I could keep my Sigma 50mm Art. It's one of my favorite lenses. Would hate to see the 135L go though. Random question but does Sigma do mount conversion on lenses they don't currently make for certain bodies? Let me clarify....Sigma makes a 35mm Art for Pentax, but does not currently make a 50mm Art in K mount. I wonder if they would do a 50mm Art mount conversion. Probably not lol. Only reason I ask is because I've been eyeing that Pentax K-1, but there aren't very many lenses available for it either.

Copy and paste of the response I got from Sigma about doing a mount conversion from EF to Sony A specifically for the a99ii:
Thank you for contacting Sigma. We are able to convert select lenses to Sony A mount. The lens in question has to have been offered in A-mount for us to be able to convert it. If you let us know what lenses we would be able to tell you availability.

Makes sense, it isn't just about being able to physically mount the lens, but having the AF already worked out for that specific manufacturer.
I replied asking specifically about the Art 50, 35, 24-105, and 20. I don't have a lot of hope for most of them because the A mount has been so "inactive" for so long while Sigma was really getting on a roll.... :(

My junk

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,933 posts
Joined Mar 2011
Dallas TX
Sep 26, 2016 16:08 |  #12

The real power of the A99ii with a 135 isn't just how sharp the Zeiss is, it is the IBIS. I've basically said every time I've talked about IBIS, "I'll take even 2 stops of IBIS on EVERY lens over 4 stops on only select ones." Especially since I shoot with primes 95% of the time.

There are a few problems/concerns/issu​es I have seen with the A99ii from interviews with Sony reps. The lack of a touchscreen in this day and age is just plain silly. We are a touchscreen world now thanks to cell phones. Old man Canon put it in the 1dxii, even though they did cripple it a bit. The only people fighting against touchscreen are those who don't like change, no matter how convenient it is. You can turn off the touch if you don't like it but making changes to settings with TS is like four times faster than toggling LOL! Selecting an AF point is like 4 times faster on a TS as well...

The AF in video is limited/less impressive when exposure is in manual?? That could be a big one. I find that odd and a potential big issue considering the unique AF system in it looked poised to really challenge DPAF from Canon. I don't want my camera choosing any parameter of exposure for me in video. DPAF does a good job of tracking and excellent at pulling focus so I can get the creative shot I want in one take. Another big bonus of having a touchscreen as well.

I don't mind SD cards at all since it is already WAY faster than most people shoot anyway. I don't know of or have heard of a wedding, family, landscape, or portrait photographer who has needed 12 fps for 5 second bursts all of the time. I would imagine video is more taxing on SD card speed than photos. Sports&wildlife photogs would probably tax the speed of SD cards but even then, demos I've seen show they put a big buffer in the camera knowing 42mp is a ton of info being rammed down the pipeline at those speeds! That's considering they're blasting away, cutting down to 8fps probably doubles the time you can spray and pray LOL!!!

Honestly, I think 3rd party support will play a big factor here, just like with the A7 series. Metabones has helped the A7 out immensely. Sigma could help the A99ii out just as much by offering quality glass at better prices than Sony does. :)

My junk

DagoImaging
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2012
Sep 26, 2016 16:24 |  #13

I was an A-mount shooter before I went to Canon and then to E-mount.

The A-mount glass is excellent IMO, every bit as good as L glass if you get the G and Zeis glass.

Sony a6300/ 16-70/4 / 70-200/4 G / Sony HVL-60M

endos
Joined Mar 2015
Madrid (Spain)
Sep 26, 2016 17:02 |  #14

BrickR wrote in post #18141153 (external link)
Copy and paste of the response I got from Sigma about doing a mount conversion from EF to Sony A specifically for the a99ii:
Thank you for contacting Sigma. We are able to convert select lenses to Sony A mount. The lens in question has to have been offered in A-mount for us to be able to convert it. If you let us know what lenses we would be able to tell you availability.

Makes sense, it isn't just about being able to physically mount the lens, but having the AF already worked out for that specific manufacturer.
I replied asking specifically about the Art 50, 35, 24-105, and 20. I don't have a lot of hope for most of them because the A mount has been so "inactive" for so long while Sigma was really getting on a roll.... :(

Art 50, 35 and 24-105 are available for Sony. No idea about the 20.

Regards,
Juan

---------------
500px (external link)

endos
Joined Mar 2015
Madrid (Spain)
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by endos.
Sep 26, 2016 17:08 |  #15

BrickR wrote in post #18141199 (external link)
The real power of the A99ii with a 135 isn't just how sharp the Zeiss is, it is the IBIS. I've basically said every time I've talked about IBIS, "I'll take even 2 stops of IBIS on EVERY lens over 4 stops on only select ones." Especially since I shoot with primes 95% of the time.

There are a few problems/concerns/issu​es I have seen with the A99ii from interviews with Sony reps. The lack of a touchscreen in this day and age is just plain silly. We are a touchscreen world now thanks to cell phones. Old man Canon put it in the 1dxii, even though they did cripple it a bit. The only people fighting against touchscreen are those who don't like change, no matter how convenient it is. You can turn off the touch if you don't like it but making changes to settings with TS is like four times faster than toggling LOL! Selecting an AF point is like 4 times faster on a TS as well...

The AF in video is limited/less impressive when exposure is in manual?? That could be a big one. I find that odd and a potential big issue considering the unique AF system in it looked poised to really challenge DPAF from Canon. I don't want my camera choosing any parameter of exposure for me in video. DPAF does a good job of tracking and excellent at pulling focus so I can get the creative shot I want in one take. Another big bonus of having a touchscreen as well.

I don't mind SD cards at all since it is already WAY faster than most people shoot anyway. I don't know of or have heard of a wedding, family, landscape, or portrait photographer who has needed 12 fps for 5 second bursts all of the time. I would imagine video is more taxing on SD card speed than photos. Sports&wildlife photogs would probably tax the speed of SD cards but even then, demos I've seen show they put a big buffer in the camera knowing 42mp is a ton of info being rammed down the pipeline at those speeds! That's considering they're blasting away, cutting down to 8fps probably doubles the time you can spray and pray LOL!!!

Honestly, I think 3rd party support will play a big factor here, just like with the A7 series. Metabones has helped the A7 out immensely. Sigma could help the A99ii out just as much by offering quality glass at better prices than Sony does. :)

I don't want a touch screen. It's not a matter that you can turn it off, it's a matter that touch screens are near impossible to see in bright sunlight. And I work outdoors all the time. There are third party support from Sigma & Tamron, but Sony G and Zeiss lenses are better that what you think.

Regards,
Juan

---------------
500px (external link)

sponsored links

32,060 views & 174 likes for this thread
A99 Mark II - Where are all the posts?
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.